Why should I buy a named jersey now?

Well, there is an opportunity here for fans to express their displeasure.

Request a jersey of whatever number, but ask for the name tag to say "Generic NIL" or "Pre-Portal Fave" or "Your NIL Here."

We might as well have some pointed fun with the things we evidently can't change.

Reactions: SAPPER 5
With the NIL money going crazy for top athletes, and the transfer portal being full of top athletes, why should I as a fan of UT basketball, baseball, football, etc buy any athletes' jersey? Chances are if they have any promise of being good or even a starter, they will be gone the following year or maybe even earlier. I used to buy VOL athletes' jerseys, but no more. Why should I pay attention to the NIL athletes' commercials? Same reason, probably being gone the next year as well. UT spends $millions recruiting top athletes to play our stadiums and gyms, and fields. Is that $ now being considered spent well? As I see it, (and I am sure the serious posters here will correct me) NIL and the transfer portal rules are beginning to take the traditional fan out of the game. As a traditional fan, I loved pulling for my favorite QB, linebacker, receiver, etc, etc. Now, will I even be familiar enough with their name as a freshman or sophomore, before they are gone to the transfer portal? Now, probably not!!
If they are getting a cut from that jersey sale, you would be helping them make more money, which would give them reason to stay. Assuming money truly is their main motivation.

So now more than ever you should buy the jersey.

Personally i feel weird wearing another fellows jersey.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Reactions: GAVol
Spend your money on hot dogs at the game. You may be supporting the next Arnold Zandi.

Well, that player may become famous later a a pro. And collectors being odd people to begin with, may covet said player's earlier jersey(s). People have been known to pay as much as $16,000 for school lunchboxes, $26,400 for G.I. Joe dolls, even $120,000 for a banana taped to a wall (No, not a joke). Someone even paid 1.7 million for Elvis poop. So you never know what people are stupid, insane, or sick enough to pay an outrageous amount for.
This. How much would a DJ Burns, UT jersey go for? After a kid plays for 5 different schools in 5 years, no one will remember he played for Tennessee. Except you, because you got the jersey. Great conversation starter IMO.

This. How much would a DJ Burns, UT jersey go for? After a kid plays for 5 different schools in 5 years, no one will remember he played for Tennessee. Except you, because you got the jersey. Great conversation starter IMO.
Like I said, some people will buy anything, even shet.

Well, there is an opportunity here for fans to express their displeasure.

Request a jersey of whatever number, but ask for the name tag to say "Generic NIL" or "Pre-Portal Fave" or "Your NIL Here."

We might as well have some pointed fun with the things we evidently can't change.
VFL? would be another good one.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
With the NIL money going crazy for top athletes, and the transfer portal being full of top athletes, why should I as a fan of UT basketball, baseball, football, etc buy any athletes' jersey? Chances are if they have any promise of being good or even a starter, they will be gone the following year or maybe even earlier. I used to buy VOL athletes' jerseys, but no more. Why should I pay attention to the NIL athletes' commercials? Same reason, probably being gone the next year as well. UT spends $millions recruiting top athletes to play our stadiums and gyms, and fields. Is that $ now being considered spent well? As I see it, (and I am sure the serious posters here will correct me) NIL and the transfer portal rules are beginning to take the traditional fan out of the game. As a traditional fan, I loved pulling for my favorite QB, linebacker, receiver, etc, etc. Now, will I even be familiar enough with their name as a freshman or sophomore, before they are gone to the transfer portal? Now, probably not!!
You’ll have to condition yourself to view the college game just like professional sports fans. Pro fans have watched their favorite athletes turn heel as often as an old WWE wrestling script. Imagine how life-long Cleveland Cav fans felt watching Lebron jump ship twice. Thrift stores are still littered with old Lebron jerseys to this day.

With the ease of the transfer portal and the money being thrown at QB’s every year; that is the new reality we can expect.

Quite true, you should open up a jersey rental store, rent the jersey for a season with the option to buy if he stays. Kinda like leasing a car.

Reactions: Ernie McCracken
Unless you are under the age of 16 or are a player on a team, you shouldn't be buying a named jersey.

Really?

Odds are you’re not buying a named jersey until it’s a known commodity/upperclassman. Nothing has changed there. I wouldn’t hesitate one bit to buy a iamaleava, bru, campbell, Sampson, Pearce jr, thomas, etc.

VN Store

Back