5* SC PG Josiah James commits to Tennessee

This kid has been rising to Barnes' expectations for a while now. :)

What are you supposed to think when you call Rick Barnes from a parking lot outside of an AAU tournament at 13 years old and he offers you a scholarship to Tennessee? You know what I mean? But you can’t ever duplicate the feeling of that first big-time offer, man. I’d just had the worst game ever too. Four points, five turnovers, maybe two assists. I was shocked when Coach Barnes told me that he loved my game and wanted to offer. A school like Tennessee is so prestigious. That was my first big offer, first time talking to a Power 5 school. I’ll never get that feeling again. I was barely even a teenager. They saw something in me from Day 1 and that really meant a lot to me.

Josiah James: My decision

Congrats to CRB. Now we got a replacement for Admiral
And to think, Admiral’s first two years MANY posters said he would be better suited for Football.

Also we need another good stretch 3/4 like Admiral. JJ is a PG, not necessarily a replacement for Admirals position.

I can't wait till we play Florida, and he hits his first tre, mann won't that be awesome! haha
Following Rob Lewis of VQ this whole offseason and we looked very good for Mann. When that went kaput he seemed to think Josiah was a pipe dream. Interested in his updated take. This one slipped by the VQ guys, especially with how committed he was before the announcement. Haven’t pored over recruiting mags as I did when I was young so for those in the know? How much of an upgrade is this over Florida’s kid?

Following Rob Lewis of VQ this whole offseason and we looked very good for Mann. When that went kaput he seemed to think Josiah was a pipe dream. Interested in his updated take. This one slipped by the VQ guys, especially with how committed he was before the announcement. Haven’t pored over recruiting mags as I did when I was young so for those in the know? How much of an upgrade is this over Florida’s kid?

It makes you wonder if not getting Mann had something to do with getting James

As for comparison to Mann, they are just very different players. Mann is a scorer and great ball handler.

James is bigger. better passer. Better rebounder. Not a great scorer right now, but that can change. More versatile and likely much better defender.

I could have understood losing a recruit to Duke but him going to Clemson wouldn’t have made a whole lot of sense.

There’s not much for them to offer compared to Barnes.
You say that but kids make decisions based on things that may not make sense to you or I. Even the things he brought up in his announcement were things that could’ve happened at Clemson or anywhere else. I don’t care how a coach recruits if he’s getting results and Barnes has been.

This kid has been rising to Barnes' expectations for a while now. :)

Josiah James: My decision
That was awesome. JJ will be one of my all-time favorites, I can tell with this kind of game, maturity and love for Tennessee. I haven't watched the video, yet, but just reading his decision/commitment speech/announcement makes it one of the greatest ever.

I think DJ Burns has potential to be that guy?
DJ is more Grant Williams than Admiral, but he is quicker than Williams was at that stage.

To be fair though, Admiral, at that stage, was more Grant Williams than Admiral is today. He has really transformed his game and his body.

It should come as no surprise that hard work is a consistent theme for players who have been most successful under Barnes at Tennessee. Kevin Punter, Grant Williams, Admiral Schofield.

Reactions: JCP201
DJ is more Grant Williams than Admiral, but he is quicker than Williams was at that stage.

To be fair though, Admiral, at that stage, was more Grant Williams than Admiral is today. He has really transformed his game and his body.

It should come as no surprise that hard work is a consistent theme for players who have been most successful under Barnes at Tennessee. Kevin Punter, Grant Williams, Admiral Schofield.
I know this is kind of out there, but I see some Kevin McHale in DJ's game

VN Store

Back