5 UT Transfers are projected Starters

All the players who have left through the transfer portal are potentially good and could have successful college careers. For the last time, I wish them luck. But they don't want to play for the Vols, and I honestly couldn't care less about them. Our energy is best spent on those who stay and work to support our team and fans.

Reactions: BDP! and OllVol
Strange logic

UT is more talented than we think because 5 of our most talented players left UT and are starting for other schools...

Sounds like a non sequitur?

And your opinion is spot on.

Not sure how other supposed knowledgeable posters can't see this🙄
One reason I’ve preached patience, because a coach is not going to waltz in here and rip this disease out of the football program in a year or two. Wins and losses be damned, we have to get the character, attitude, competitiveness, desire and pride back into our program, then we can worry about winning and losing.
GBO!!

Reactions: VolinMC and wmcovol
Why does this surprise anyone?

That's the way it's been the last 10 years or so.

They leave and get better because they receive good coaching.

We are cursed.

Wideman top 100 player WR
Hyatt top 150 player WR
Keyton 4 star WR
Calloway 4 star WR
Merril 4 star WR
So I guess these guys are trash??

Not to mention Velus Jones.

You're still going off the product Jeremy Pruitt put on the field. He got fired for a reason. Coaching matters. Good coaching from the HC even more so...
There's talent here. We can't help but be better with a new staff in place. We have a favorable schedule. Almost everything we need to have a bowl worthy season is here...almost. Heupel has to bring in another qb. Even if the others stick around, we can't go into next season one ankle away from disaster. A couple of LBs would also be most welcome. Yeah, I know about numbers, but Heupel will need to thin the herd after seeing what he does and doesn't have this spring.

247 had us as the 15th most talented team last year (7th in SEC) but that talent couldn’t overcome JG’s QB play and Chaney’s schemes - that’s a 100% coaching failure.

I believe it’s a bit delusional to say we’re more talented at the RB position going into 2021 - some guys could have breakout years but both Chandler and Gray were exceptional backs. Getting out of Tennessee may really help them both in the NFL draft next year.

As for JG, time will tell - we know he practices well but he never demonstrated the ability to make decisions at game speed while he was at Tennessee.

We will be less talented in 2021 but we’re on par with most everyone in the SEC not named Georgia or Alabama (or Vandy).

Don't forget Big Cat Bryant that was transferring in and would have been a starter, he is now going to Oklahoma I believe.

I've read some of the NFL scouting critiques of Trey Smith and the "coaching" he received. This is a guy who has likely lost 7 (possibly 8) figures from his first NFL contract due to the coaching he received. We've seen it with other players at that position (Mays, Wright, Morris). JGs fundamentals got worse each year. I've coached elementary school LBs who take better angles than our team did last year. You layer 3 to 4 assistants who were in over their head, plus a HC in over his head, and outdated offensive and defensive schemes and you get what we saw last year.

I'm not sure Heupel will be the answer but I know it's going to take a while to fix the fundamental and schematic mess he inherited. Thankfully for us, outside of the Big 3 games on our schedule, we should not be at a huge physical disadvantage in the 9 remaining games....
Fundamentals and schemes are the easy fix, changing the mentality and attitude will be the difficult part.
GBO!!

Don't forget about my nephew Brandon Johnson. He been taking 1st team reps all spring and he was starter for spring game.
And I hope he balls out! These kids deserved more than what they received over the last few years. With that said, I’m not really sure how much some of the players gave to the coaches either.
GBO!!

VN Store

Back