8/25 Practice?

Mosely has looked quicker than Sutton in drills. Im excited to see how he has developed from last season to this season.

Few Redshirts?
Butch was clear today: "Just about everyone in our [freshman] class will play. There will be some exceptions." He went on to say that many of the freshmen who play will contribute primarily on special teams this year, which will help with their growth into offensive or defensive roles in their second year. Assessment of meaning: this might very well grow into an enduring "Butch Method" that combines considerations of recruitment, player development, and special teams energy, all in one package. Recruitment, because Butch can honestly tell recruits they can expect to contribute from their first game. Development, because he's using special teams roles to knock of the "star-struck" hesitance/newness of freshman in huge stadiums and raucous venues at college speeds for the first time. Finally, energy because Special Teams is often about reckless abandon confined within disciplined roles, and there is no greater source of reckless energy than a new member of the team out to prove himself. This might not be a completely new approach in the world of college football, but it seems genius, nonetheless. And something we might expect to see every year from here out.

OLine Starting 5?
OLine starting five will potentially be patterned uniquely for each opponent, and may change from week to week. Interpretation: we may have 7 or 8 "starters" who get starts at different times. Going to be interesting to see as this develops. One reporter asked about giving up continuity within the unit in exchange for this ability to pattern the skill sets for particular opponents. Butch acknowledged that it was a tradeoff. He also mentioned that the younger guys, like "Jack Jones, who has only played right guard," and "Charles Mosley has only played left guard," will be confined to those positions, to reduce the complexity for them. But he also alluded to "other individuals that have done a good job, that have been in our program, that we have that luxury of being able to move them around because they're very intelligent football players" [he didn't say the words "Brett Kendrick," but you could see him clearly in that description]. Assessment of meaning: I could be wrong on this, but I got the distinct impression that Butch, DeBord & Mahoney came up with this compromise to keep the unit motivated and avoid devisiveness of the sort we've discussed on these boards in recent days, while working to figure out what combination of players works best. Will they truly mix & match the top 7 or 8 from game to game, to best fit unique attributes of opponents' defenses? Too early to know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Is it just me or does Butch not seem as stressed going into the season as he did this time last year? I think he's expecting this group to win some games.

Reactions: 3 people
Is it just me or does Butch not seem as stressed going into the season as he did this time last year? I think he's expecting this group to win some games.

I've been thinking the same thing. It seems like the positive comments outweigh the negative ones for the first time in his tenure. He is still all coach speak and measured answers, but the vibe seems very positive.

Reactions: 3 people
Few Redshirts?
Butch was clear today: "Just about everyone in our [freshman] class will play. There will be some exceptions." He went on to say that many of the freshmen who play will contribute primarily on special teams this year, which will help with their growth into offensive or defensive roles in their second year. Assessment of meaning: this might very well grow into an enduring "Butch Method" that combines considerations of recruitment, player development, and special teams energy, all in one package. Recruitment, because Butch can honestly tell recruits they can expect to contribute from their first game. Development, because he's using special teams roles to knock of the "star-struck" hesitance/newness of freshman in huge stadiums and raucous venues at college speeds for the first time. Finally, energy because Special Teams is often about reckless abandon confined within disciplined roles, and there is no greater source of reckless energy than a new member of the team out to prove himself. This might not be a completely new approach in the world of college football, but it seems genius, nonetheless. And something we might expect to see every year from here out.

Genius... I love that CRM is the player delivering the message to the team - he's living proof that it works..

We just have to hope that these freshman coming in will bury their ego, and accept their role on the team as a special teams player.

I'm going to predict that Austin Smith will be a big player for us on Special Teams. That dude is a beast!

Reactions: 2 people
Mosely has looked quicker than Sutton in drills. Im excited to see how he has developed from last season to this season.

OG quicker than our star CB? :eek:hmy:

Maybe those preseason snubs were legit. :gone:

Reactions: 1 person
Marquez North was wearing green today...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 613
I am not alarmed but not having guys on the OL not step up is troubling. We are less than two weeks away and we are still searching? No guys wanting it bad enough.

Perhaps they all want it bad enough and the separation isn't great.

I am not alarmed but not having guys on the OL not step up is troubling. We are less than two weeks away and we are still searching? No guys wanting it bad enough.

I'm fine with the o-line knowing multiple positions, especially the first two to three sub's. But there needs to be some continuity for communication and stunt pickup among the starting five.

This new o-line philosophy means we have a bad ass rotation or a bunch of scrubs playing terribly leading to an inability to name a starting 5.

I actually think we have had guys step up.

Thomas is firmly at Tackle it seems and I feel confident we are going to see a vastly different kid this go around

And Jones has stepped up and challenged to start. I see him or Kendrick as being very useable guys.

The other talk about switching up from game to game is just coach speak IMO. That talk gives kids hope to keep working and lord knows we have heard stories about kids being discontent

I actually think we have had guys step up.

Thomas is firmly at Tackle it seems and I feel confident we are going to see a vastly different kid this go around

And Jones has stepped up and challenged to start. I see him or Kendrick as being very useable guys.

The other talk about switching up from game to game is just coach speak IMO. That talk gives kids hope to keep working and lord knows we have heard stories about kids being discontent

Or if they can't block BG then we will see a new line up for week two.

I think there is a very good chance that we have two NFL CBs on this team..Moseley and Sutton..and to think neither one of them was that highly thought of out of HS, I think Sutton was a 3 star and Moseley was a 2 star

"There is a lot with continuity, but the big thing is competitive. All the individuals along our OL have done a good job." - Coach Jones

The right fit along the offensive line may be different from game to game according to Coach Jones

I think this is coach speak to give Kendrick and Weisman some generic praise

VN Store

Back