8/25 Practice?

Its just a hunch man. Something just doesnt seem right about the how the entire thing played out.

That's not what you said.

You said it was a "concern". You said that watching video you could tell that it could turn into something much more serious. Then you concluded by saying that you felt it was much more than being reported.

You just over dramatized it without a good basis for doing so. No real harm or foul... but it is the kind of "spark" that gets internet myths going... and contributes to Jones shutting down info.

A little worried that Butch is saying they are going to need to lean on the freshman class heavily again and that just about everyone in that class will play.... Hopefully outside the obvious guys like K-Mac, Tuttle, Kirkland, and Philips, he means special teams work. I am very excited to see Jennings doing so well so fast, but he should be a backup and not pushing for a starter spot with the talent we supposedly already have at WR.... Malone and Croom need to flat step up this season-- I know they've been dinged up along with North, but this should be their year to shine. Then there's the whole P-Willy situation... At the end of the day, glad we have the depth finally to move guys around and not have a talent drop off like we've seen in the past 3 yrs.

I'm actually glad. Until we have a team composed entirely of top 5-10 recruiting classes, I think we should play our most talented players regardless of how many experienced guys are ahead of them. Dooley recruits are simply not as good as the guys Butch is bringing in. Thus, it makes sense to play them as much as possible.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm actually glad. Until we have a team composed entirely of top 5-10 recruiting classes, I think we should play our most talented players regardless of how many experienced guys are ahead of them. Dooley recruits are simply not as good as the guys Butch is bringing in. Thus, it makes sense to play them as much as possible.

Maggitt
Randolph
McNeil
OBrien
Croom
Pig
Cam
Reeves-Maybin
Vickers.

Each of these guys committed to Dooley. Now, I'm clearly no fan of Dooley. But each of these guys either have already or are gonna make big contributions to this program. If the younger kids can beat em out, all the better....but as far as I can tell, pretty much none of them have as of yet.

I am glad we are not like a couple other programs in the sec that still have an open QB race going.

heard ol Buck Belue on the radio down here in ATL talking about we are 22 deep only with zero depth and will be worn down by mid season. Obviously he is a former UGA player and serious homer. First off, he couldnt name 10 players on the team. seriously. He has no knowledge of who we have on roster besides the main household names. Then they sit there and bash other teams and dont even sweat over the fact that they dont have any real receivers and dont even know who their QB is lol. Ridiculous.

Reactions: 2 people

Maggitt
Randolph
McNeil
OBrien
Croom
Pig
Cam
Reeves-Maybin
Vickers.

Each of these guys committed to Dooley. Now, I'm clearly no fan of Dooley. But each of these guys either have already or are gonna make big contributions to this program. If the younger kids can beat em out, all the better....but as far as I can tell, pretty much none of them have as of yet.

I agree with KB. The word "talent" is sometimes a codeword for "hype". And D4H, I think maybe that's how you're using it here.

Let the best player start. That should be the mantra, whether there are Dooley-recruited players on the roster or not. Note that "best" includes not only raw talent (speed, size, etc.) but also rolls in experience, technique, discipline, and other intangibles.

Some of the players you casually dismissed are, as KB points out, also some of the best players on our team. Leaders. Athletes. Ultra-talented. Winners. And the best at their positions.

So let's completely drop this "who recruited you" prism that some of us like to look at our roster through. And just let the best players play.

I swear, these "Practice (Date)" threads need to be retitled to "Injury Rumor (Date)"...

This is getting redonkulous!!!

Perry did get hurt yesterday per volquest:

While the Vols welcomed back nearly a half-dozen key members of their roster, Vincent Perry, two years removed from knee surgery that sidetracked his junior year of high school, went down with a knee injury.

Reached following practice by VolQuest.com, Jones said he didn't believe the injury to be that severe after talking with medical personnel but that Perry, a true freshman from Nashville's Hillsboro High School, would undergo additional testing to determine the extent of the left knee injury.

heard ol Buck Belue on the radio down here in ATL talking about we are 22 deep only with zero depth and will be worn down by mid season. Obviously he is a former UGA player and serious homer. First off, he couldnt name 10 players on the team. seriously. He has no knowledge of who we have on roster besides the main household names. Then they sit there and bash other teams and dont even sweat over the fact that they dont have any real receivers and dont even know who their QB is lol. Ridiculous.

I hope they start the transfer personally. A kid that couldn't cut it at VA will get eaten alive in the sec.

Perry did get hurt yesterday per volquest:

While the Vols welcomed back nearly a half-dozen key members of their roster, Vincent Perry, two years removed from knee surgery that sidetracked his junior year of high school, went down with a knee injury.

Reached following practice by VolQuest.com, Jones said he didn't believe the injury to be that severe after talking with medical personnel but that Perry, a true freshman from Nashville's Hillsboro High School, would undergo additional testing to determine the extent of the left knee injury.

Hope it's not serious. If this kid is ok and can handle the playbook, I believe he'll contribute as a true freshman. Kid is quick as hell, has excellent hands....looked really good at open practice. Made a couple of plays and I found myself looking at the roster on my iPhone trying to find out who #10 was before realizing it was him. Kid was impressive.

Last edited:

And add to the fact that their consensus top 10 recruiting classes consistently underperform. I love the fact they think we're weak!

I agree with KB. The word "talent" is sometimes a codeword for "hype". And D4H, I think maybe that's how you're using it here.

Let the best player start. That should be the mantra, whether there are Dooley-recruited players on the roster or not. Note that "best" includes not only raw talent (speed, size, etc.) but also rolls in experience, technique, discipline, and other intangibles.

Some of the players you casually dismissed are, as KB points out, also some of the best players on our team. Leaders. Athletes. Ultra-talented. Winners. And the best at their positions.

So let's completely drop this "who recruited you" prism that some of us like to look at our roster through. And just let the best players play.

Thats the problem I have with coaches in general and this staff in particular. They take all all these other things into account rather than just putting the best raw talent on the field. And I believe it hinders our team's long term potential. See Josh Dobbs. If Butch got his way, we probably aren't where we are right now with a team poised to break out. You can't discount the experience Dobbs got last season and how it could spring him to a huge season this year.

I'll keep banging this drum against all you guys you keep talking about experience and upperclassmen. Ohio State won a national title last year with the core of their team composed almost entirely of sophomores and redshirt freshmen. Urban Meyer took some lumps early in the season because of their inexperience (see Va-Tech). But by the end of the season, the young bucks were humming and then they used their superior talent to dismantle the more experienced senior/junior laden Alabama and Oregon.

Thats the problem I have with coaches in general and this staff in particular. They take all all these other things into account rather than just putting the best raw talent on the field. And I believe it hinders our team's long term potential. See Josh Dobbs. If Butch got his way, we probably aren't where we are right now with a team poised to break out. You can't discount the experience Dobbs got last season and how it could spring him to a huge season this year.

I'll keep banging this drum against all you guys you keep talking about experience and upperclassmen. Ohio State won a national title last year with the core of their team composed almost entirely of sophomores and redshirt freshmen. Urban Meyer took some lumps early in the season because of their inexperience (see Va-Tech). But by the end of the season, the young bucks were humming and then they used their superior talent to dismantle the more experienced senior/junior laden Alabama and Oregon.

Yeah, D4H, I understand what you're saying, but you're swinging the pendulum too far the other way. Experience has value. Leadership has value. These intangibles can make you the BETTER PLAYER if the talent gap is less than the intangibles add.

If the true freshman is SO talented that he produces better results for the team without those intangibles, then I agree, play him. I suspect the coaching staff agrees with that, too. Otherwise, you wouldn't have seen Jalen Hurd getting more snaps than Marlin Lane in 2014, for instance.

But if the true freshman, with more raw talent, is still not as productive for the team because the upperclassmen he's competing against has enough experience and leadership and technique to outperform him, then NO. Don't put him on the field yet. Let him back up that upperclassmen and gain experience of his own.

That's not what you said.

You said it was a "concern". You said that watching video you could tell that it could turn into something much more serious. Then you concluded by saying that you felt it was much more than being reported.

You just over dramatized it without a good basis for doing so. No real harm or foul... but it is the kind of "spark" that gets internet myths going... and contributes to Jones shutting down info.

This is what I said:

Seeing him in that video makes me feel like it wouldnt take much for it turn into something more serious.

Ill say it differently:

His knee looks weak and the slightest wrong movement if weak COULD turn it into something worse. That is all. Just my observation. Therefore, I think it should be more of a concern than its let on to be.

Did you just suggest that the coached that played the most freshmen last year, doesn't play freshmen...because they're freshmen??

On the OSU comment, not just you but many here, use the same logic.
You know, just because - Once, some thing happened, at some place, with some coach, doesn't make it the new rule. It's still the exception.

Reactions: 2 people
We will be in the Nickel alot for OU. Gaulden was our best Nickelback. It's not rocket science...

Ugh. If it were rocket science, Dobbs would be able to figure it out and beat Oklahoma. Maybe we should start Dormady instead...?

D4H, I took a minute to draw up a chart illustrating what I mean.

Talent%20amp%20Experience.png

So you have this uber-talented freshman, Mike. He has more raw talent than anyone in his position group. And he has so MUCH talent, that he will add more value playing for the team even than some of his mates who have more experience and leadership skills. He should play before Bob or Pat, because he adds more. You and I agree here.

But Mike does not add more total value to the team than the senior, Joe. Even though Mike has more raw talent. Joe's intangibles, his experience and technique, his leadership that raises the game of all around him, they have real worth, real value to the team. Add those to the talent Joe does have, and Joe's worth more as a starter than Mike.

That's where I say you're swinging your pendulum too far.

These are fictional examples, but imagine "Mike" as Kyle Phillips and "Joe" as Curt Maggitt.

It doesn't matter whether Curt was recruited by Dooley, or Kiffin, or Fulmer, or Majors, or Neyland. Doesn't matter. Yes, Kyle may have more raw talent than Curt, but Curt's better for the team. And should start.

Simple as that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Let's cut through the chase. Give examples. What Dooley recruits that are starting would you replace younger Butch recruits?

VN Store

Back