A gators prospective

Rushing yards matter when a QB is billed as a “dual-threat” guy. It was here that I learned from posters like you that JG was supposed to be the next Marcus Mariota or Josh Dobbs. Turns out, he hasn’t been close to that so far and Felipe Franks has turned into a better runner. And it isn’t just because of the “system” as Franks’ 89-yard run highlight-reel run against Texas A&M happened last year before Dan Mullen had even arrived. And under Mullen, he’s been an effective, willing runner so far. I’ve pointed out several stats, several times where Franks is much better than JG. But apparently the only stats some UT fans care about are completion percentage and interceptions. That’s convenient since those are the only two where JG is better; never mind TD’s passes, total yards, completions, yards per completion and rushing yards.

I’m not delusional, in no way do I think Franks is an elite QB yet. I am honest with myself when analyzing his play. He’s much improved over last year but still has much improvement needed. But anyone thinking JG has been this incredible, elite QB so far, is in fact delusional.

I agree, A La Will Grier, mobile QB's will cause us problems and Franks is mobile, if we can make him throw the ball in the pocket I think we have a chance. Will didn't have a lot of rushing yards, he would extend plays which hurt us because our secondary can only shadow the wideouts for so long. That said, get to franks and get him down, try not to let him scramble and turn a loss into a huge gain. If UT can do this I think we can win.

I also like our run game better, chandler and Jordan are studs. If our abysmal OL can actually block we should be able to run on the gators. UK ran all over them. The team who rushes for the most yards, usually comes out of this game with a win.

This is a make or break game for both team. More so for UF with the one loss already in league play.

Reactions: Jaws
Not been any "stud pass rushers" thus far. Pass rush looked a bit better versus UTEP than previous two games, but still a long way from where it needs to be. Darrell Taylor and Daniel Bituli are probably the most effective pass-rushers. As Nose Tackle, Tuttle's role has been a bit different than before.

As far as position groups go, I'd take JG over Franks and I like our RBs much better than yours. You all might be ahead of us in the WR department, but we're looking a lot better there lately with Josh Palmer emerging as a big threat, on top of Marquez Callaway, Jauan Jennings, and Brandon Johnson. Our O-line has been pretty bad; it's the Achilles' heel of our offense.

Defense looked a lot better versus UTEP than previous weeks, but ... ya know ... it's UTEP.

Should be two flawed teams on Saturday. We can reminiscent about the good ole' days when Tennessee and Florida were the two SEC powers rather than SEC East cellar dwellers.

Agree. Right now besides Arkansas.....UF and UT are at the bottom of the SEC unfortunately.

Paul Bain will live rent free in Feleipe Franks' head. He will bust through Florida's o-line and have 5 sacks before their first offensive play. From this Saturday forward, everyone associated with the Florida program will remember Paul "The Man" Bain. The reckoning is coming...

Or Paul "The Main" Bain. I do hope he has a favorably-memorable game (making for future highlights and all).

Reactions: savannahfan
Agree. Right now besides Arkansas.....UF and UT are at the bottom of the SEC unfortunately.
I dont Want to believe that with Everything in me. I think we beat Florida, Vandy, Kentucky, and Mizzou in a tight game.(revenge on Dolley) that’s 6 wins and a bowl baby!

I do not know much about JG, so will not endeavor to compare him to Franks. But the OP's point about Franks is absolutely correct -- he's either going to be very effective or tragically inept. He has those two speeds, and those two speeds only.

Great post, a lot to agree with. I think I’m in the minority in Gator Nation in somewhat supporting Franks. Many still want to pound on him for 2017 and their frustration from last year has carried over. But to me, that clouds their objectivity and doesn’t allow them to see the obvious improvement so far this year. Losing to Kentucky didn’t help, but again, Franks was the least of our worries in that game as the defense couldn’t stop the run at all, nor could UF’s offense run the ball. Franks had two TD passes and set a career high in passing yards in that game. Also had a bad pick, so again, he’s inconsistent. But Franks is NOT the reason UF lost to Kentucky.
But maybe completing atleast 50% of his passes probably would have helped just a little bit.

I do not know much about JG, so will not endeavor to compare him to Franks. But the OP's point about Franks is absolutely correct -- he's either going to be very effective or tragically inept. He has those two speeds, and those two speeds only.

Franks will keep both marching band on the ready to play their respective fight songs.

Like LG, I know very little about Guarantano.

This is why a gator is always fos. Past 30 years 21-10 record. TN still holds the largest margin of victory with a 45-3 win during that span. TN had a 10 win streak while FL has had an 11 game streak.

Franks will keep both marching band on the ready to play their respective fight songs.

Like LG, I know very little about Guarantano.
How did you avoid the Chryst-JG VN Fan Wars of 2018? It creeps into every thread.

You guys might not have to get to know JG if our O-line keeps trying to get him killed. I worry for his well-being when he doesn't hand it off.

Reactions: Ancient Reptile
Remember Juan Jennings, the guy that match up against your supposedly top corner and NFL draft pick Jalen "Burnt toast" Tabor? Yea he's back and hungry for more!

If they throw him the ball.
I thought he was going to have 5-10 throws per game. I don't think he has had a total of that many as yet.

If they throw him the ball.
I thought he was going to have 5-10 throws per game. I don't think he has had a total of that many as yet.
He was limited in camp and has been dealing with an injury, but word on the street is that he's getting his feet under him at just the right time.

Reactions: KBVol
Who are your stud pass rushers so far just asking

Phillips and who else Tuttle maybe getting back to form

There aren’t any. Don’t even have a legit SEC pass rusher, much less a stud. It’s a big problem. Unless JP dials up some exotic blitzes that will confuse FF, he’ll have all the time he wants to throw.

True, but a lot goes into that as you know. Drops, protection, play calling, etc.
Understandable. But with the offense being completely pass-heavy that game, it’s hard to score a lot of points with 21 incompletions. Neither FF or JG are gonna take over this game. I just trust JG to make less mistakes.

Reactions: Jaws
This is why a gator is always fos. Past 30 years 21-10 record. TN still holds the largest margin of victory with a 45-3 win during that span. TN had a 10 win streak while FL has had an 11 game streak.

Can you update us on the series since the invention of facemasks and field goal nets??

And not matter how you slice it, 27-20 is the final tiebreaker.

Understandable. But with the offense being completely pass-heavy that game, it’s hard to score a lot of points with 21 incompletions. Neither FF or JG are gonna take over this game. I just trust JG to make less mistakes.

Fair enough, you could be exactly right and I would not be surprised if Franks can’t tie his own shoelaces in this game, particularly since I’ve spent the last two days defending his mediocrity.

Would like answer to last sentence just curious

If people could interpret your heiroglyfics maybe they would answer. You’ve always been an annoying rival poster, but when did your loose the ability to type something legible.

VN Store

Back