A possible bad scenario with the NCAA

ptcarter

Boomshanka! (Google that)
Not that I need to be walked off the ledge or anything, but I would value opinions here.

The scenario I'm dreading is this: The NCAA is not yet gone and most likely will remain in a revamped form after the smoke clears. The NCAA isn't used to the pushback that Tennessee just did and the NCAA may just take this personal. Why? Because we got out in front of this and did such a good job of setting the narrative. Of course the allegations haven't been formally presented, which is a sort of unknown, but I think the AD and crew already know most of what will hit them.

If the NCAA enforcement gets embarrassed by this whole thing, they might just make this personal. And the fact that we have "repeat offender" status if they hit us with anything, (even minor) that gives them more power to hammer us. And how can they hammer us that would work in the short term before the courts rule (and then an appeal)? That would would be a bowl ban. Not saying we can get into the playoffs, but what kind of blowback would happen if we actually were playoff bound and couldn't go on account of this? If they have an axe to grind, this would hurt. Let's hope the courts honor the restraining order portion of this lawsuit, as that should protect us from that. With a shot at getting into a 12 team playoff, I'd hate it for the NCAA to "Florida State" us in a vindictive way.

Personally, I've always wondered what the blowback would have been if Michigan got a bowl ban this last go around. Would it spark even more of a grassroots backlash that would fall in the category of "unintended consequences" for the NCAA and accelerate their downfall?

What is clear is that the future of the NCAA is one of fending off lawsuits. When the federal government and 12 states sue you, and the Supreme Court smacks you down 9-0 (when can they ever agree on anything?), the only thing left is to await the inevitable avalanche of defamation law suits, etc from players. NCAA is no longer viable.

They are doing their bidding at the behest of others they want to protect and hope to keep at the top. They've always done this, just like a criminal organization. Now, they are just desperate, because they have been flipped upside down. Now people can do legally, what they always allowed a select few do illegally (Bubba).

Not that I need to be walked off the ledge or anything, but I would value opinions here.

The scenario I'm dreading is this: The NCAA is not yet gone and most likely will remain in a revamped form after the smoke clears. The NCAA isn't used to the pushback that Tennessee just did and the NCAA may just take this personal. Why? Because we got out in front of this and did such a good job of setting the narrative. Of course the allegations haven't been formally presented, which is a sort of unknown, but I think the AD and crew already know most of what will hit them.

If the NCAA enforcement gets embarrassed by this whole thing, they might just make this personal. And the fact that we have "repeat offender" status if they hit us with anything, (even minor) that gives them more power to hammer us. And how can they hammer us that would work in the short term before the courts rule (and then an appeal)? That would would be a bowl ban. Not saying we can get into the playoffs, but what kind of blowback would happen if we actually were playoff bound and couldn't go on account of this? If they have an axe to grind, this would hurt. Let's hope the courts honor the restraining order portion of this lawsuit, as that should protect us from that. With a shot at getting into a 12 team playoff, I'd hate it for the NCAA to "Florida State" us in a vindictive way.

Personally, I've always wondered what the blowback would have been if Michigan got a bowl ban this last go around. Would it spark even more of a grassroots backlash that would fall in the category of "unintended consequences" for the NCAA and accelerate their downfall?
The only thing that moves slower than the court system is the NCAA. I feel confident there would be court rulings before the NCAA levies any penalties

You mean the NCAA hasn’t taken it personal yet?

Let’s see…we are being investigated again for phantom improprieties in our football program.

We are mere weeks removed from seeing our impressive football team be blacklisted by 7 AP voters from the final Top 25 rankings.

Just this week Coach Rick Barnes (of all coaches!) gets T’d up in Nashville by an off official not minding his own business and then gets harassed and baited inexplicably while in his coach’s box at the Food City Center in front of his family, team, and fans—both in the same week.

So when do we start taking it personal?

The NCAA isn't some all powerful entity.
They're getting subpoenaed by many colleges right now under transfer eligibility.

There will be no "revamped" NCAA because they suck at what they do.
Who's going to revamp that??

Just use your own head, man 🙄

Drink a beer and stop watching Lifetime channel with your wife. We good bro. The US Supreme Court just ruled on this same a$$ $8it Monday. Chill and allow the Lawyers representing UT to make bank.

2 things that should put you at ease on your thoughts here.

1.) The CFP made it very clear they are a separate entity from the NCAA. The NCAA has no authority over the CFP....thisbwas made clear when there were questions of if Mich would get a post season ban.

2.) before our last punisbment was issued for the Pruitt fiasco, the Tennessee attorney general reminded the NCAA that Tennessee state law prohibits a post season ban because that directly effects the student athletes potential for NIL earnings which breaks federal anti trust law.

We always have the court system. If NCAA wants a bare knuckle fight, that's where it'll end up... for years.

Harassing is against the law

UNC, Kansas, Auburn, Arizona, Alabama etal over the years have basically told NCAA we are not listening and go about their business. Then 5 years later when everybody has forgotten about things like made up classes/majors etc. and the slap on the wrist that is heard nowhere except around the empty halls of the NCAA.
UT tried to and did do it right the last time and now NCAA rewards them with roundup the usual suspects that cooperate and go easy and believe everything we spout to make this thing get rolling.
News alert UT ain't playing this time.

I really don't give a crap when you have the State on your side including Governor and Legislatures plus a second state, they don't have much to stand on. This isn't UTK's case anymore, this is the STATE OF TENNESSEE vs the NCAA. That is the difference people miss. In fact, UT itself, is NOT in an actual law suit with the NCAA.

NCAA is going to have to battle Nashville.

NCAA will need some Depends. The Orange Nation and Plowman are coming to do some tilling, then turn them under. There will be partners you can bet.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
We always have the court system. If NCAA wants a bare knuckle fight, that's where it'll end up... for years.
Didn't take years for FSU or Michigan. Such hypocrisy. Michigan can outright cheat their way to a natty and the NCAA turns a blind eye to it. Let a kid take a plane ride from an employer or play a flag football game and it's "lack of institutional control". I'll say it again. If this is just a spiteful move by the NCAA, just putting a cloud over our program will do damage on the recruiting trail and when it comes to the portal. The longer this thing goes BEFORE it goes to court is a bad thing for us and great for the NCAA and our rivals. Even if this is resolved before court, if they can keep things stirred up until after the next transfer portal window, they'll possibly be able to do some additional damage to our program and roster. I'm sure the NCAA's dream outcome is for Nico to be ineligible at UT but free to play somewhere else. Alabama maybe? UT needs to push this to the top spot and force it to court as soon as possible. Unfortunately, until there's a formal notice of allegations, the ball is squarely in the NCAA's court. Not much UT can do except start putting down rumors and trying to help Heupel out on the recruiting trail. Even if UT closes the doors of campus to the NCAA, the NCAA will be roaming around sniffing and leaking info. Just a garbage situation for us to be in...again. The NCAA sealed off the hornets nest then poked it. UT is riled, but can't really do much about the situation.

One other thing folks aren't considering is the landscape our staff has to navigate. It's tough enough with NIL, recruiting and multiple portals, but at UT, a staff has to recruit for a program that seems to be perpetually under threat from the NCAA. Considering the money most major programs can offer, there might come a time when Heupel just says enough is enough and takes the money from a program the NCAA isn't clearly biased against and constantly persecuting. Think it might be a bit easier to recruit somewhere else right now?

Reactions: VolTull
In all seriousness, if we just ignored whatever "punishment" they decided to give us what happens then?
No way to know. Theoretically, we could play every game but no matter the score, we'd forfeit for using an "ineligible" player. Since it's a W for the opponent, why risk injury to play it? They could eliminate us from conference titles, bowls, playoffs, etc. We could have our cut of the TV money withheld. Recruiting would be nearly impossible. A coach with opportunities certainly would find smoother sailing somewhere else. All this is speculation on my part, but if it were so easy, someone would have tried it by now I suspect.

Reactions: VolTull

The NCAA or Any University has a say in any Student Athletes making money with their Name Image or Likeness. Federal and Tennessee State Laws. NCAA hands are tied.

Spyre said in their release statement that they made the NIL contract with Nico under Cal. law which allows this type of agreement with no ties to any university or the student athlete having to be enrolled in a particular school. Spyre did their homework here and was already ahead of the NCAA on this. Gonna be hard for the NCAA to challenge state laws and win.

VN Store

Back