After game thoughts

Peyton Berry

That may have been the ugliest half off offense we have played under Heupel, and to come out of there with a W is very fortunate. I feel it was also very important for the program to Win that game, no matter how ugly. If we had lost that game after being up by 7 at the half, and going against their fair at best passing back up QB, because of our offenses inability to score would have been really bad. There are still may concerns, but they are easier to take after the W.
It’s easy to second guess play calling, I thought it was ok but could have been better (esp outside screens in long situations where they lit up Hooker). But the main issue was lack of consistent execution, plays were there to be made many times and was a bad throw, dropped pass, missed block, etc..

The second half the D didn’t dominate but it did it’s job, albeit against a a backdrop up qb and half a quarter back up center.

Current thoughts and looking ahead:
- So far Hooker is not as accurate as he was last year, and that is hurting us some on offense.
- Although Tillman is putting up good stats,I think he either has 4 or 5 drops on the year in just 2 games, that’s not good.
- I think the O line is blocking slightly better in the run game this year and is also better in pass protection. Most the time when they got to Hooker it seemed they were bringing extra guys. Which goes back to the play calling comment, I think WR screens on pash rush downs are missing and passes to backs out of the back field.

Defense:
- I think the D is generating better pass rush, not where it needs to be but was better against Pitt. We blitzed though to get it, blitzed A lot…
- im still very concerned about our pass coverage against good passing teams, I feel well get lit up when we face one. We’re still weak covering the middle of the field, and the opposing WR completion percentage against #4 is bad

Marshall beat ND, Appy St gave A & M fits, Texas almost beat Bama, Kent St giving OU all it wants…. So all in all, you have to give the Vols credit for gutting it out and finding a way to win against a good team. Especially once it had reached the point of “what bad is going to happen on the next play”, and I was there for most the second half.
There’s A LOT to work on still, but now we’re set up for a HUGE game in a couple weeks against the Gators ( as long as we don’t have a world class goof up next week). There will more than likely be some type of game day crew there, whether it’s ESPN or the SEC network boys. The hype and atmosphere at Neyland will be no doubt be through the roof! It’s time to get this Gator monkey off our backs!!! Go Vols!!!

Last edited:
That may have been the ugliest half off offense we have played under Heupel, and to come out of there with a W is very fortunate. I feel it was also very important for the program to Win that game, no matter how ugly. If we had lost that game after being up by 7 at the half, and going against their fair at best passing back up QB, because of our offenses inability to score would have been really bad. There are still may concerns, but they are easier to take after the W.
It’s easy to second guess play calling, I thought it was ok but could have been better (esp outside screens in long situations where they lit up Hooker). But the main issue was lack of consistent execution, plays were there to be made many times and was a bad throw, dropped pass, missed block, etc..

The second half the D didn’t dominate but it did it’s job, albeit against a a backdrop up qb and half a quarter back up center.

- So far Hooker is not as accurate as he was last year, and that is hurting us some on offense.
- Although Tillman is putting up good stats,I think he either has 4 or 5 drops on the year in just 2 games, that’s not good.
- I think the O line is blocking slightly better in the run game this year and is also better in pass protection. Most the time when they got to Hooker it seemed they were bringing extra guys. Which goes back to the play calling comment, I think WR screens on pash rush downs are missing and passes to backs out of the back field.

Defense:
- I think the D is generating better pass rush, not where it needs to be but was better against Pitt. We blitzed though to get it, blitzed A lot…
- im still very concerned about our pass coverage against good passing teams, I feel well get lit up when we face one. We’re still weak covering the middle of the field, and the opposing WR completion percentage against #4 is bad

Marshall beat ND, Appy St gave A & M fits, Texas almost beat Bama, Kent St giving OU all it wants…. So all in all, you have to give the Vols credit for gutting it out and finding a way to win against a good team. Especially once it had reached the point of “what bad is going to happen on the next play”, and I was there for most the second half.
There’s A LOT to work on still, but now we’re set up for a HUGE game in a couple weeks against the Gators ( as long as we don’t have a world class goof up next week). There will more than likely be some type of game day crew there, whether it’s ESPN or the SEC network boys. The hype and atmosphere at Neyland will be no doubt be through the roof! It’s time to get this Gator monkey off our backs!!! Go Vols!!!

This game was like Vanderbilt playing Vanderbilt!
Neither team could get out of their own way..

Defense:

E10524F3-905C-4CE8-AB65-E35AD19BB55B.jpeg

That pass rush was pretty nasty against a solid o-line. The sacks were lacking and too far, but there was no shortage of contact with the QB's tonight. I liked Pitt's backup QB a lot. Patti is pretty bad ass tough.
you right, bet he can’t walk tomorrow

Defense:

Need to figure it all out or we will get motor boated in sec play. Defense was decent today though.

When I saw #2 abandon his gap to block a defender that was already blocked by two O-line, a DB raced through to hammer Hooker, which left me wondering. If this team can clean up its errors, they should win some great games. They won this one but let's face it, they came really close to losing it.

Reactions: murfvol1 and mpfvol
This team won't beat UF playing the way it played today. Fact.

So whatever ails this team, they need to get it figured out ASAP. I'm beginning to question the abilities of our DC and DB coach. Yes, we're thin on the back half. But "thin" and "porous" are two different things. With a 25 minute offense, Heupel needs a 35 minute defense. We don't have one.

Go Vols.

3 thoughts:
Positive 1) Tennessee was the more physical team which I was surprised by.
2) It took a top 15 team to go in there and win.
Negative 3) Tennessee has to find a better RB.
Gonna get Hooker killed. I like Sampson but wonder how well he knows the playbook since he didn’t play today.
GREAT WIN REGARDLESS

VN Store

Back