Ainge on 104.5 Nashville Said he turned off Schaefer's alarm clock

There are double standards when it comes to Peyton. My Dad now doesn't like Jeff Gordon because he mentioned in his SI article he likes a beer, but it's OK for Peyton to mention after the big game, " I can't wait to get a bud to my lips."

Like some people that were upset that Fulmer was being considered for AD with no experience but would accept Manning as AD no questions asked.

When discussing QB competitions, he said Fulmer had told him about Peyton locking the door on the film room so the other QB couldn't get in. Said he assumed Fulmer was saying its Kill or be Killed so that night he turned Brent Schaefers phone off and unplugged his alarm clock. Said he had a problem waking up anyways so he slept until coaches sent someone over to wake him up.

Ice Cold hahaha

how many times did he do this? if Shaefer allowed this more than once, it's on him

I'll play the guy that'll do what it takes to win, short of taping opponent's practices or juicing.

When you want to win, you'll find a way to win.

good for him

Competition is supposed to improve a team by forcing players to work harder at improving THEMSELVES. When a player instead resorts to sabotage, that's not only disloyal and cowardly, it means he doesn't have to work as hard as he would in a fair competition.

If true, this was a gutless, lazy shortcut.

I'll play the guy that'll do what it takes to win, short of taping opponent's practices or juicing.

When you want to win, you'll find a way to win.

Tricking teammates into missing practice or locking them out of film study makes the TEAM more likely to lose. Those kinds of selfish tactics are the sign of a losing program.

Reactions: 1 person
Kind of a bush league move by both Ainge and Manning IMO, but not exactly a hang-worthy offense either. Sometimes the competitive nature of super competitive people does get the better of them. I admittedly still get a chuckle every time I hear the Manning story.

My question is why in hell did Fulmer have us in a position in 2004 to have to rely on 1 or 2 true freshman QB's in the first place?? Refresh my memory. What happened to our QB recruiting between 2000 and 2003?

My question is why in hell did Fulmer have us in a position in 2004 to have to rely on 1 or 2 true freshman QB's in the first place?? Refresh my memory. What happened to our QB recruiting between 2000 and 2003?

We landed highly rated James Banks and had top QB prospect Chris Leak pretty much sewed up with his brother CJ transferring here. When Clausen got injured, they passed over CJ for Banks until Clausen returned. Banks never developed as a passer and converted to WR before drugs ended his time in Knoxville. The perceived disrespect for his brother cost us Leak and that's why we were down to the true freshmen and LSU transfer Rick Clausen when his brother's career ended.

Last edited:

Because Chris Leak reacted like a little ***** after his brother got pulled from I believe the UGA game because he sucked.

There are double standards when it comes to Peyton. My Dad now doesn't like Jeff Gordon because he mentioned in his SI article he likes a beer, but it's OK for Peyton to mention after the big game, " I can't wait to get a bud to my lips."

Your dad's a teetotaler? Ouch.

Tell him I don't trust anyone that abstains from drink... And especially those who look down their noses at those who do.

Ask him, how can he judge a behavior he observes in others when he himself has never done said behavior? How?

Your dad's a teetotaler? Ouch.

Tell him I don't trust anyone that abstains from drink... And especially those who look down their noses at those who do.

Ask him, how can he judge a behavior he observes in others when he himself has never done said behavior? How?

I've never been a serial killer, so...are you telling me I have no right to judge one?:thumbsup:

Reactions: 3 people
That's kind of misleading. It's well-documented that his problems with substance abuse pre-dated his time at UT.

Ya pretty sure he developed a taste for pain pills when he got hurt in highschool..think UT just enabled him by ignoring it

We landed highly rated James Banks and had top QB prospect Chris Leak pretty much sewed up with his brother CJ transferring here. When Clausen got injured, they passed over CJ for Banks until Clausen returned. Banks never developed as a passer and converted to WR before drugs ended his time in Knoxville. The perceived disrespect for his brother cost us Leak and that's why we were down to the true freshmen and LSU transfer Rick Clausen when his brother's career ended.

Rick was great v LSU

It may not be a big deal, but it says a lot. Sabotaging a peer who is jocking for the same position is not a character trait I value. I'm all for jokes, but that isn't a good one.

every football team is loaded with people who have far greater character flaws then locking a door or turning off an alarm. You probably should look for something else to follow if character traits are that important to you...

Reactions: 3 people
The Ainge Manning things were nothing more than pranks. They probably made the team stronger an a cohesive sense.

Leave Ainge alone and congratulate him on getting it together, no matter where it started or restarted. Addiction is a mental illnesses. It no different than you or I having a broken leg except it never heals. It is not that he likes the pills, he likes the relief they provide from the "pain" his mind causes.
Jonny football also needs help. He is not at a party, he is in he ll.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The Ainge Manning things were nothing more than pranks. They probably made the team stronger an a cohesive sense.

Leave Ainge alone and congratulate him on getting it together, no matter where it started or restarted. Addiction is a mental illnesses. It no different than you or I having a broken leg except it never heals. It is not that he likes the pills, he likes the relief they provide from the "pain" his mind causes.
Jonny football also needs help. He is not at a party, he is in he ll.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 115

I was at UT during this time frame and had some pretty good connections to the football program. I heard from a few sources that Leak's dad was constantly ringing up Fulmer and telling him how CJ needed to be the starting QB if he wanted Chris to come to UT. Fulmer got tired of his crap and that's a big reason CJ never got to start.

Reactions: 2 people
I was at UT during this time frame and had some pretty good connections to the football program. I heard from a few sources that Leak's dad was constantly ringing up Fulmer and telling him how CJ needed to be the starting QB if he wanted Chris to come to UT. Fulmer got tired of his crap and that's a big reason CJ never got to start.

Makes sense. CJ's career was weird from the beginning, when he committed and signed with Wake Forest as a top prospect and they were a train wreck.

Tricking teammates into missing practice or locking them out of film study makes the TEAM more likely to lose. Those kinds of selfish tactics are the sign of a losing program.

Funny then since, outside of 1998, the team had its best success over the last 25 years under Manning and Ainge at QB. So...

VN Store

Back