Alls Quiet On The Coaching Job Front

Amaker is definitely worth a look. Didn't he flame out at michigan before going to Hahvard?

I don't know enough about what Cheek's been doing. What I'm trying to say is that this bargain shopping has gone on long before Cheek and Hart got here.

When I look around the country I see other places getting better coaches...Louisville comes to mind...Get rid of Strong and get Petrino for 3.5 million, with Pitino coaching basketball making almost 5 million, McDonnell is probably close to a million...the bigger issue than the money is that Louisville can attract those kind of coaches and we aren't even in the same ball park. It doesn't seem like we even try.

I agree with you 110% about the bargin hunting. That is the reason behind my statement about Majors being the only NC winning coach they hired and he wanted to come home and coach. I think they bargin hunted in the past because they wanted to, and now they do it because they have to due to cheek. Its good vol66. I hope the Hart can manage some way to get a top tier coach, but I just don't see it happening. I would love to be wrong.

Here is what I posted in another thread about bargain basement/blue light special coaches from lower level leagues:

Here is your problem with hiring a blue light special.

They are relatively unknown to recruits.

How are you going to convince better recruits to come play ball for you when they know nothing about you and don't even know if you can be a successful coach at the next level?

Recruiting nobodies to a nobody school in a lower level conference is different than a no-name coach trying to recruit enough talent to compete with the players at UK and Florida and then the rest of the SEC. While a no-name coach can beat many of the other teams routinely in a lower level conference with the throw away players from the major schools, he is not going to be able to do that with regularity in the SEC.

Amaker was turrble at Michigan.

Actually he did a very good job, almost great, considering the mess he had to deal with.

Remember the 5 year Fab 4 investigation that ended with Michigan getting a multi-year post season ban, 4 years of probation and 4 years of lost scholarships?

That's pretty much the Amaker era at Michigan and he still had a couple of 20+ win seasons there.

UTAD and UT Admin always go on the cheap in coaching searches while trying to find the "up and comer" "diamond in the rough" coach except for Serrano. That methodology is one that I do not agree.
No. They dont. We just get turned down. We offered big time names for the football head coaching vacancy and were turned down. We went after Gruden, Strong, Muschamp (before Dooley)

Im sure we will go after Shaka Smart and Gregg Marshall, and will be turned down.

Unfortunately not everyone loves UT as much as VN

Unfortunately not everyone loves UT as much as VN[/QUOTE]

This is a cold hard fact of life that many on here can't or won't accept.

VN Store

Back