Annual "You should pull for the SEC, it helps Tennessee" debate

You'd rather go 6-6 in a conference of post-season losers than post-season winners?

Explain why please.

I'd rather go 13-0 in any Big 5 conference because that puts my team in the 4team playoff. If Bama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, et al are doing great in recruiting and on the field, it severely lessens the likelihood that UT is ever gonna do that. Does anybody think that an improved Candy team that had back to back seasons, took some good MidState players from us and beat us 2 years in a row helped our program??

If all the teams do well in bowls, the Sec will be considered the best conference by far next year. Perception of conference gives 2 teams from the sec a chance to be in the 4 game playoff. We almost had two in it this year. It doesn't help Tn this year but we might just be one of those two teams next year or the next. I'd say that everyone would like that perception of conference dominance if that were to be the case. I hate our sec opponents, but I hate the rest of the nations teams more in bowl season.

Reactions: 3 people
The question is if I pull for the SEC teams, not do I want the SEC to become weaker. That said, I generally pull for all SEC teams but Bammer and Florida in bowl games because the fact that I pull for or cheer against has no bearing on how strong the SEC is.

If all the teams do well in bowls, the Sec will be considered the best conference by far next year. Perception of conference gives 2 teams from the sec a chance to be in the 4 game playoff. We almost had two in it this year. It doesn't help Tn this year but we might just be one of those two teams next year or the next. I'd say that everyone would like that perception of conference dominance if that were to be the case. I hate our sec opponents, but I hate the rest of the nations teams more in bowl season.
Being considered the best didn't get more than one team in because the SEC beat up on each other. The same thing will happen year after year because of the parity in the conference after Alabama. Chances are that everybody else will have 2+ losses.

Reactions: 1 person
I have to give you credit, chatt-townVOL. You're supporting the logical side of an argument in the face of the emotional side -- always a challenge.

Being considered the best didn't get more than one team in because the SEC beat up on each other. The same thing will happen year after year because of the parity in the conference after Alabama. Chances are that everybody else will have 2+ losses.

All the other conferences beat up on each other, too. The difference is how they are viewed versus how the SEC is viewed. The only reason the SEC is given extra consideration is because we are perceived as the best conference. Start losing bowl games and other out-of-conference match-ups and that will quickly come to an end.

UT is recruiting directly against UA, UF, UGA, USC and LSU year in year out. Its not like the old days where the recruiting competition was nationwide. If those teams do well it makes recruiting more difficult. We can finish with the 10th best class and still be behind these teams! Right now Bama and LSU are filling needs and then the rest of the teams get to fight for the balance.

I want Bama to win for only two reasons:

(1) I hate OSU worst.
(2) If They get to the Championship game, then the SEC gets the bowl money.
Since all the money is split between all teams, I would rather the SEC get it instead of the B1G.

After that I hope it's Oregon, and then they blow out Bama off the map.

Now Florida and Vandy, - I hope they lose EVERY game they play.

Teams I hate(In order):

Florida (everything)
OSU (Media Bias/ Fans think they are the best)
ND (Media Bias/Fans)
Texas (Media Bias/ Vols real UT)
S.Cal (Media Bias/ Like Ohio State, used to be top teams in weak conferences)
Vandy (snobbish students/James Franklin)
Alabama (respect Saban, but their fans are the worst fan base)

Honorable mention: Penn State (I respect their fans, but want coach to fail)

Go Vols!!!

I'm not pulling for Alabama..... Don't care who they play, where they play, or what the implications are.

I read most of the comments and didn't see the number 1 reason we should pull for every sec to win because it directly affects UT. It's not about sos or recruiting. It's about money. The sec divides up all of the money made from winning bowls equally among it's members. When bama or floriduh wins a bowl, UT gets paid.

(1) I hate OSU worst.
Since all the money is split between all teams, I would rather the SEC get it instead of the B1G.

Teams I hate(In order):

Florida (everything)
ND (Media Bias/Fans)

Go Vols!!!

I assume I know why, and that you don't care, but you should be granted "Senior" member! :)

My order of allegiance

1. Tennessee
2. Hating the teams that I hate
3. The SEC

I will always hate the teams that I hate before I support the SEC. There are some SEC teams that I don't hate, so I'll support them during bowl season.

The rest of the conference being dominant has really helped us so far.

So you blame the rest of the SEC for our struggles?

In my opinion, Mike Hamilton had a lot more to do with it

People should root for who they want. The impact is WAY overblown

(1) I hate OSU worst.

Teams I hate(In order):

Florida (everything)
ND (Media Bias/Fans)

Go Vols!!!

Your post is the closest one to my position, so far. :hi:

I would only add Ole Miss, Michigan and Spurrier to list of thangs I despise.

And John Adams.

Last edited:
With bowl season coming up, I figured why not.

Reasons why you should pull for your conference:

1. You want a strong strength of schedule. Just ask the 2007 Hawaii Warriors what happens when you are undefeated in a sissy conference.

2. Recruits like Josh Malone, who are trying to decide who to pick between Tennessee and Clemson, want to play in the best conference. Hence Malone went to Tennessee.

3. To further support point #2, five of the Top Ten current recruiting classes are SEC. In 2014, seven of the Top Ten were SEC. Being in the best conference helps with recruiting.

4. To me it's a Southern pride thing. I believe the best football is played in the south, the strength of the SEC supports my argument.

There's more to my argument, but that'll do. Go SEC!!!!! Let's go undefeated this bowl season!!!!

This is all true, with one exception.... Never pull for bamer!

(1) I hate OSU worst.

Teams I hate(In order):

Florida (everything)
ND (Media Bias/Fans)

Go Vols!!!

Agree with everything here. The ONLY reason I actually wouldn't mind seeing Bama beat OSU and get to the champ game is because UTs AD reserves are so low and if Bama gets to that game then our share of money is much greater. But then I want hopefully Oregon to stomp a mudhole in them.

How exactly does that relate to Oregon winning it all or me hating the rest of the SEC?

Oregon is one of the media ESPN darlings. Just like liberals and liberal Republicans like that clown Lindsey and his side kick McCain.

Oregon Ohio State is what the ESPN homers would love to see and talk about for a year.

Hopefully Alabama kicks the you know what out of Ohio State and their thug Coach.

Oregon beat FSU would be fine since they have a rapist at QB.

So Alabama hammering Oregon would be good for the SEC, Tennessee, and the good part of the World.

I have to give you credit, chatt-townVOL. You're supporting the logical side of an argument in the face of the emotional side -- always a challenge.

I am. And I appreciate that. Don't get me wrong, I hate Florida. I hate their Gator-chomping garbage, their ugly orange and blue combination, etc.

I hate Bama. "ROWWW TAHHHHDDD" sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me. Saban is a tool, and so is Kiffin.

But at this point we've already played them. The results of those games aren't going to change. The only thing that can change is how good those teams are, and therefore the perception of those losses/victories.

I wish Utah State would have finished in the Top 25

I hate that Oklahoma will finish unranked, it makes me sick.

I love that Ole Miss beat Miss State.

I want Bama to win the NC.

Everything I want is for the good of Tennessee. And our 2014 competition (half of which we lost to) being awful and getting destroyed during bowl season in no way helps Tennessee, in fact, it makes Tennessee look worse.

So again, go SEC!!! Go undefeated in bowl season!!!!

I am. And I appreciate that. Don't get me wrong, I hate Florida. I hate their Gator-chomping garbage, their ugly orange and blue combination, etc.

I hate Bama. "ROWWW TAHHHHDDD" sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me. Saban is a tool, and so is Kiffin.

But at this point we've already played them. The results of those games aren't going to change. The only thing that can change is how good those teams are, and therefore the perception of those losses/victories.

Everything I want is for the good of Tennessee. And our 2014 competition (half of which we lost to) being awful and getting destroyed during bowl season in no way helps Tennessee, in fact, it makes Tennessee look worse.

Bama winning the national title is 100% detrimental to Tennessee from a recruiting perspective. In fact, ole Miss tanking to TCU could help us with Richmond. Rooting for success for our competition doesn't benefit us one bit with our current situation. I root for teams to win after we BEAT them.

Reactions: 4 people

Bama winning helps only Bama unless everyone in the SEC gets a Co-National Champions trophy now. It in no way provides any important advantage for UT

VN Store

Back