Anyone upset about the playcalling now....

We had over 400 yards of offense and scored 35 points. This is second guess crap.

That's the problem. We had way more opportunities to get more. We hit the gas pedal and then for some reason put it on cruise control. Suddenly we wake up and realize that we were behind in the race, so we hit the gas pedal again.

We have enough depth that we shouldn't have to let up on the gas.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought at times the play calling was awful. Certainly when Peterman was in. With a new QB in you know the d pins the ears back and on one possession we call 3 straight drop back plays? Are you kidding? I thought Brian Griese did a great job shredding Bajakian....

Reactions: 3 people
Those off tackle runs into the entire Ga. defense, didn't that get Fulmer a pink slip? I really have an issue with that series from the 50 with 3 runs off tackle and OUT. Com on man in that spot on the road you need a score there. 2 first downs and you have 3 on the board. Couldn't watch anymore. LOVE my VOLS but hated the very mundane and predictive play calling.

Reactions: 2 people
College football is getting so bad it's hard to watch. These coaches make millions? What a joke. If I had it over, when I was in college back in the 70's I would have majored in PE. With my high IQ, I would be a multi millionaire today. Coaches didn't make anything back then even though a 70's college team would beat the one's today by 70 points. I stupidly went into medicine.

personally I thought the playcalling was terrible. We shouldve tried to exploit their inexperienced secondary... Especially after they had a couple of them go down. Instead we threw a bunch of low percentage long passes down the sidelines and ran it a ton in the second half. The intermediate pass in the middle was there all day. And the run out of the endzone was crazy. That play call cost us the game

Reactions: 4 people
College football is getting so bad it's hard to watch. These coaches make millions? What a joke. If I had it over, when I was in college back in the 70's I would have majored in PE. With my high IQ, I would be a multi millionaire today. Coaches didn't make anything back then even though a 70's college team would beat the one's today by 70 points. I stupidly went into medicine.

How high? Iq over 140?

That the Oline is coming together?

Offense looks competely different now that Worley is getting protection and time.

When your defense makes 2 decisive interceptions, and both times you fail to take advantage, I would say the play caller must have choked on his Coke Classic up in the booth.

For instance, Todd Kelly Jr makes a great interception of the Mason pass and change momentum. Then, we follow up with a handoff to Lane on 1st down for no gain. On 2nd down from around the 50, we pass into double coverage going for the homerun. Then we throw short no where near the 1st down marker and kick the ball back. This is the kind of thing that makes the difference in a close road game. You have to take advantage of opportunities when they come your way.

As for the OLine, unblocked defenders put undue extreme pressure on both QBs most of the afternoon, injuring Worley and nearly decapitating Peterman too. AND Georgia is not one of the better defenses we have played and will play. They were supposed to be soft in the middle, but we sure didn't exploit that weakness.

That's the problem. We had way more opportunities to get more. We hit the gas pedal and then for some reason put it on cruise control. Suddenly we wake up and realize that we were behind in the race, so we hit the gas pedal again.

We have enough depth that we shouldn't have to let up on the gas.

Funny how real football works huh? It'd be cool if it was always just a matter of trying hard, but there's another team out there that adjusts to take things away, then you react, then they react etc, etc, etc.

Whatever it was, the point is that it was a good performance on the road in the SEC.

There were some good calls for sure, but there were also some very suspect calls, especially on 1st down, that just put us behind the sticks. We continued to run on first down on the drives that we ultimately wound up punting. My perception was that when we threw early, we were more effective because we had manageable 2nd and 3rd down yardage. Don't understand why he just didn't stay with what was working on the first 2 drives. Why overthink it? Keep doing what's effective until they stop it imo.

Play calling was hit and miss all game. Had some good things going early on and then got away from it for a bit. Didn't like the run call that resulted in a defensive TD for UGA on the fumble. Not a fan of handing the ball off 3-4 yards deep in the endzone with a sketchy offensive line. Wish Bajakian would have just dialed up a short pass and created a little space to work with. Came blame him for the play calling with Peterman though as our offensive line is just bad at pass protection and it was a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm sold on Butch, but the jury is still out on a couple of the assistant coaches.

There were some good calls for sure, but there were also some very suspect calls, especially on 1st down, that just put us behind the sticks. We continued to run on first down on the drives that we ultimately wound up punting. My perception was that when we threw early, we were more effective because we had manageable 2nd and 3rd down yardage. Don't understand why he just didn't stay with what was working on the first 2 drives. Why overthink it? Keep doing what's effective until they stop it imo.

What did he stop doing that was effective?

personally I thought the playcalling was terrible. We shouldve tried to exploit their inexperienced secondary... Especially after they had a couple of them go down. Instead we threw a bunch of low percentage long passes down the sidelines and ran it a ton in the second half. The intermediate pass in the middle was there all day. And the run out of the endzone was crazy. That play call cost us the game

Agree, the play calling baffles me. We put up over 400 yards on them, but easily could have put up over 500 if we kept doing what worked. Even before Worley got hurt we got away from what was working for us. We stopped throwing the quick intermediate passes which was what got us the lead. Way too many runs and deep passes, which we rarely hit. You keep playing to your strengths until the other team forces you to do something else. Why coaches can't figure this out, I will never understand.

Last edited:
While I'll agree that there are some decisions I look at and question (as is the case in most all losses), it's hard for me to be outraged over 401 yards and 32 points, which includes three series from our backup quarterback.

Call these excuses if you want but we have three true freshman starting on the right side of the offensive line (if you count the tight end) and we were without two of our best wide receivers last night.

This offense has its share of challenges. We knew it coming into the year and they can't be ignored just because it hurts to lose.

While I'll agree that there are some decisions I look at and question (as is the case in most all losses), it's hard for me to be outraged over 401 yards and 32 points, which includes three series from our backup quarterback.

Call these excuses if you want but we have three true freshman starting on the right side of the offensive line (if you count the tight end) and we were without two of our best wide receivers last night.

This offense has its share of challenges. We knew it coming into the year and they can't be ignored just because it hurts to lose.
Freak speaks the truth.

VN Store

Back