Asst coach Samantha Williams will not be retained

The right way to have handled this would have been to announce both at the same time. The way it was handled created the drama - drama that would not have happened if handled in the right way. That assumes the report of the new assistants is true.

The AD department messed this up.
Lemons out of lemonade!

Reactions: Orange.
You do not get to act like you know more than qualified professionals.

They did not mess anything up. There has not been one coaching search in WBB or MBB ran any different than the UT WBB search. The timeline for this search was quicker than some others and the new head coach first priority was to meet the players. She has done several interviews and appearances with the public in 7 days.
She has met multiple times with players as a team and individually.

You are making it dramatic. This is standard procedure for the interviewing process and hiring the best candidates for all positions.

You are complaining about absolutely nothing.

This is Week Two- Day 1.

Last edited:
The right way to have handled this would have been to announce both at the same time. The way it was handled created the drama - drama that would not have happened if handled in the right way. That assumes the report of the new assistants is true.

How ..please explain . I do not see any mess at all .

Maybe the idea was to create the drama - this entire hire has been so filled with DRAMA and leaks of information to create DRAMA.

Pick one side of the fence or the other. …sheesh.

How ..please explain . I do not see any mess at all .

Caldwell's name was leaked well in advance of her being offered the job. I suppose to let everyone debate it in hopes of letting folks work that out in advance of the announcement.

Then you had this leak yesterday followed by someone today proclaiming that well known P5 (possibly SEC assistants) would be announced soon. They had to know that Williams was one of the well-respected names on the staff. And that was leaked as she was in flight and celebrating the upcoming draft of a UT player verses letting that celebration of the player be front and center.

Why not wait and announce all this after the draft or with a message thanking Williams for her support over the years and announcing the new assistants?

There is a right way to do this and there is a wrong way to do this. How this happened was not the right way to do this.

Here’s a novel idea. How ‘bout we let the new coach make decisions about her staff?
Here we go again. You don't actually think anything posted here has any effect on anything in real life right? There's no "letting". That occurs in the real world. Our idle chatter means nothing, allows or disallows nothing.
You do not get to act like you know more than qualified professionals.
Says who? New to the internet? We can act like we're Mickey's Monkey if we want to. Some here even pretend to be "Coaches"!

People need to get a grip on their self-importance and realize what this place is and is not in relation to real life.

I just wish the timing of Sam's firing hadn't been right after she happily announced she was on the way to NY to support Rickea. Accident or pissiness, that was just unneccessary. Waited over a week, could have waited another day or so.

I just wish the timing of Sam's firing hadn't been right after she happily announced she was on the way to NY to support Rickea. Accident or pissiness, that was just unneccessary. Waited over a week, could have waited another day or so.
What does her going to New York have to do with anything? I'm sure she was told in plenty enough time that if she wanted to she could have cancelled her trip.

But what's happening for Rickea tonight is grown up, career-related stuff, NOT university related, so Sam is WONDERFUL for going to join her in support of this first major post-college event -- as a supportive friend. I just hope Kellie is there, too.

That's as dumb as can be. Stretching for any angle to piss and moan -- and into the face of good news.

Hysterics created the drama, not the hires, not the AD, not CKC. You're still creating drama.

What does her going to New York have to do with anything? I'm sure she was told in plenty enough time that if she wanted to she could have cancelled her trip.

But what's happening for Rickea tonight is grown up, career-related stuff, NOT university related, so Sam is WONDERFUL for going to join her in support of this first major post-college event -- as a supportive friend. I just hope Kellie is there, too.
It would have been nice if Sam could have attended as a current coach, not a fired yesterday one. I'm sure Sam knew, and we all suspected, but the timing of the firing leak was suspect. Couple of hours after Sam happy tweeted being on the way to NY. Almost seemed like a mean reply tweet, esp when it had been over a week and not previously announced.

As far as not being university related, it very much is. Those coaches crave that invite, Yo been dancing over it for a week bc somehow they got Davis invited. To stand there on camera as coach of W draftee is huge. That's why the LVs videographer tweeted she's on the way (and hopefully not fired in the air) to shoot a video of Rickea's day like she did Jordy last year.

So glad Sam's there, but feel bad for Kellie. Guess Sam won the lottery as the most recently fired coach. It's still a bit of an awkward situation and would be way too awkward for Kellie I think.

Says... Mickey Mouse.

It would have been nice if Sam could have attended as a current coach, not a fired yesterday one. I'm sure Sam knew, and we all suspected, but the timing of the firing leak was suspect. Couple of hours after Sam happy tweeted being on the way to NY. Almost seemed like a mean reply tweet, esp when it had been over a week and not previously announced.

As far as not being university related, it very much is. Those coaches crave that invite, Yo been dancing over it for a week bc somehow they got Davis invited. To stand there on camera as coach of W draftee is huge. That's why the LVs videographer tweeted she's on the way (and hopefully not fired in the air) to shoot a video of Rickea's day like she did Jordy last year.

So glad Sam's there, but feel bad for Kellie. Guess Sam won the lottery as the most recently fired coach. It's still a bit of an awkward situation and would be way too awkward for Kellie I think.
I know it would be awkward, but it really shouldn't be IMO. For the entire time Rickea played at Tennessee Kellie was her coach, and that makes Harper a VIP in her life. What WOULD have been awkward would be if Kim were invited since she doesn't even know Rickea.

My point in saying that is it seems to me the draft is for the players, their families, and others whom they want there with them because they were special/supportive in some way. I don't think the WNBA dictates who can be there to support and celebrate a kid's big moment -- the players decide that. Now, the WNBA (or ESPN) may put a cap on the number of people who come with them for space reasons, and that's probably the only criteria.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
I've been seeing people freak out on my Twitter TL and here that CKC isn't retaining assistants.

Since when does a new HC take over a job and keep the existing coaching staff?

I'm not sure why anyone is shocked or upset, it's extremely rare for a new HC to keep the former coaches assistants regardless of what sport it is or level of play.

I know it would be awkward, but it really shouldn't be IMO. For the entire time Rickea played at Tennessee Kellie was her coach, and that makes Harper a VIP in her life. What WOULD have been awkward would be if Kim were invited since she doesn't even know Rickea.

My point in saying that is it seems to me the draft is for the players, their families, and others whom they want there with them because they were special/supportive in some way. I don't think the WNBA dictates who can be there to support and celebrate a kid's big moment -- the players decide that. Now, the WNBA (or ESPN) may put a cap on the number of people who come with them for space reasons, and that's probably the only criteria.
Spots are very limited. Probable first rounders get tables w closest family usually invited. But there's a spot carved out for coaches standing behind the table area and the coach is spotlighted when the player is drafted. That's a spot coaches would kill for in ordinary circumstances and that space is at a premium. Some of the best publicity imaginable.

Other guests are off in another room. I believe I read last year that TK was in that category last year for Jordy. It's partners, high school coaches, various fam members who didn't make the main table lol.

I've been seeing people freak out on my Twitter TL and here that CKC isn't retaining assistants.

I'm not sure why anyone is shocked or upset, it's extremely rare for a new HC to keep the former coaches assistants regardless of what sport it is or level of play.
It’s so funny

That's as dumb as can be. Stretching for any angle to piss and moan -- and into the face of good news.

Hysterics created the drama, not the hires, not the AD, not CKC. You're still creating drama.

Whatever - There is a way to gracefully handle this type of situation. It wasn't handled in the best way for Rickea.

Caldwell's name was leaked well in advance of her being offered the job. I suppose to let everyone debate it in hopes of letting folks work that out in advance of the announcement.

Then you had this leak yesterday followed by someone today proclaiming that well known P5 (possibly SEC assistants) would be announced soon. They had to know that Williams was one of the well-respected names on the staff. And that was leaked as she was in flight and celebrating the upcoming draft of a UT player verses letting that celebration of the player be front and center.

Why not wait and announce all this after the draft or with a message thanking Williams for her support over the years and announcing the new assistants?

There is a right way to do this and there is a wrong way to do this. How this happened was not the right way to do this.
Do you know for a fact that Athletic Department leaked the info ......asking for a friend .

Funny that we heard squawking about Caldwell needing to have assistants named, recruiting and on the road STAT…and they needed to be P5 experienced (preferably SEC). That gets done and they go another way it was done wrong. 🙄

If she wins big, that crowd you’re referring to will say it’s because she had NIL resources that Kellie didn’t. It’ll always be something with them.

The people you are seeing on Twitter are the folks that complain about everything. I mean I saw one today say there will not be a soul in the portal trying to make a negative comment towards UT new coach referencing a team signing a player that was kicked off their team. Just think about how ridiculous that is. They are in the minority, and got their tails handed to them for making ridiculous claims about Coach Caldwell and DW over the course of a week. They won’t stop because they have no shame in their foolish bickering.

Also, these folks that again have had this backfire have helped build Coach Caldwell cause and are making her a fan favorite with the most recent leak of hiring P5 coaches from the SEC!

They think Coach Caldwell has been getting 800k+ to 300k+ - 100k+ views just wait until the portal begins to run through Rocky Top!

VN Store

Back