Asst. Coaching Change NEEDED (Offense)

Barnes said - and I quote - “we need the guys down low to get established because they (other teams) aren’t even choking off their guys (to help) and we can’t leverage that for open shots (3s)

Tennessee isn’t blind to what’s happening. It’s why they pound it inside.

Asked how Ziegler could be better offensively, he said “he needs other players to score”

This team is extremely aware that it needs points from Key, Phillips, O, and/or Uros/Aidoo

Yes, we our at our best when we are getting production inside with our bigs. ON seems to struggle a bit when he goes up against any bigs 6'10 and up. We have to get points from Aidoo/Plav. Also need support from Phillips. When we have all our tall guys on the court, scoring and getting all the rebounds it wears down the other team.

Yes, we our at our best when we are getting production inside with our bigs. ON seems to struggle a bit when he goes up against any bigs 6'10 and up. We have to get points from Aidoo/Plav. Also need support from Phillips. When we have all our tall guys on the court, scoring and getting all the rebounds it wears down the other team.

Phillips has gone full ghost. He sits in the corner on offense and does nothing. He’s timid. He’s having his Kennedy Chandler mid season moment right now.

Here’s hoping he breaks out

Reactions: PerryCountyVol
I feel like Coach English kept a decent offense flowing at Tennessee. CRB isn’t in trouble bc we probably won’t get better than him, but we need to drop an assistant coach that ain’t pulling his weight for a mega offensive strategist ASSISTANT COACH.

There was more of a regression than improvement during his two years.

Barnes knows how to hire. It's just we've seen several external promotions over the last 3-4 years. I'm sure the quality isn't there right now. When he was here, Kim English was running the sidelines some games. He was the 2nd head coach.
Actually Schwartz was the associate head coach.

On another note , Uros needs to calm down . Rick needs to have a talk with this dude . Always running his mouth and getting T’d up .

Phillips has gone full ghost. He sits in the corner on offense and does nothing. He’s timid. He’s having his Kennedy Chandler mid season moment right now.

Here’s hoping he breaks out

If he can get to the line like he was earlier in the year, I would up so much more on the floor.

I feel like Coach English kept a decent offense flowing at Tennessee. CRB isn’t in trouble bc we probably won’t get better than him, but we need to drop an assistant coach that ain’t pulling his weight for a mega offensive strategist ASSISTANT COACH.

Has little to do with assistants.

Actually Schwartz was the associate head coach.

I never said English was associate head coach, I said he was the guy standing and doing the coaching up and down the court sometimes instead of Barnes. He was probably getting OJT as a head coach because of his high ceiling.

Very few teams are top-ten in both offensive and defensive metrics, and Tennessee didn't need English to be a top-three team in terms of offensive efficiency back in the 2018-2019 season. Given the choice between having the #40 offense/#1 defense and the inverse, I'd truly take what the Vols have now.

Tennessee needs a leader who's a bonafide offensive threat like Grant Williams was, not any major changes to the coaching staff. Barnes' recruiting is fantastic, but I have no idea how to identify which attainable 5* recruit has what it takes to be that guy. If the Vols had Brandon Miller this year, we'd be singing a different tune in terms of these threads.
You need to rethink that because it doesn’t translate to tourney success. If UT made the final four it would be the only team ever with this low of an offensive efficiency rating.

You need to rethink that because it doesn’t translate to tourney success. If UT made the final four it would be the only team ever with this low of an offensive efficiency rating.

It was 30 after the Texas game, which would have been in range.

Teams have made the Final Four with lackluster offensive efficiencies before (South Carolina finished 2017 #91 in offensive efficiency, as an example), but certainly 2014 UConn is the worst offensive team to win the title and this year's Tennessee squad does not have Shabazz Napier. That said, I'd prefer #1 defense/#40 offense to #1 offense/#40 defense as it's a lot more likely one guy "shows up" and puts on an offensive clinic to carry the team as opposed to five or eight guys suddenly playing a defensive masterpiece.

Barnes knows how to hire. It's just we've seen several external promotions over the last 3-4 years. I'm sure the quality isn't there right now. When he was here, Kim English was running the sidelines some games. He was the 2nd head coach.

English’s two seasons here were arguably our two most disappointing under Barnes. 17-14 in his first season and wouldn’t have made the tournament had it been held. 18-9 with a first round exit in his second season.

Y'all are crazy. Our offense is fine. We consistently get good looks, we just are extremely streaky. And it seems to effect the whole team. If 1 guy is cold, everyone goes cold.
So the offensive system should get quality shots. You mean the offensive system can't force the players to make those high quality shots?!?! 🤯

We just finished playing two of the best defenses of the year, so it makes sense that we would drop. If we’re still in the 60s after Missouri and Vandy, I will be shocked

We just finished playing two of the best defenses of the year, so it makes sense that we would drop. If we’re still in the 60s after Missouri and Vandy, I will be shocked
I hope you’re right, but your point makes my point. Everyone elevates their defense in the post season. UT isn’t going to have that kind of advantage in March. Teams find another gear. I don’t think UT has another gear.
Pacing is key. Barnes is gassing this team playing this kind of defense all year. Yes, they win a lot of regular season games, but it’s taking a toll.

English’s two seasons here were arguably our two most disappointing under Barnes. 17-14 in his first season and wouldn’t have made the tournament had it been held. 18-9 with a first round exit in his second season.

Exactly. I never understood the obsession with our fans for English

Reactions: BisonVol
I was saying something similar to my wife yesterday. I’m not advocating that Barnes fire anyone, but I think he missed an opportunity last year to replace Schwartz with an offensive guru. Barnes teams will always play great defense. I understand that Polinsky brings incredible eval ability to the staff, but have we really been missing that?

If someone moves on after this year, I hope Barnes finds a talented young offensive mind.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back