At what point do we start talking buyout?

Heupel has exceeded expectations in every measurable way, and we are seeing a lot of signs that statistically point to him being an elite level coach. We could be currently seeing the “year 2 jump” which elite coaches usually display at their programs, and Heupel has already taken care of the “0-9 rule” by beating Florida this year. With all that being said, I’ve seen many Vol fans calling for him to get a raise (I agree on this point) and a few calling for a very hefty buyout to be added to his contract. Is it too early to be talking about that? If so, what will he have to do for us to get to that point? I know every Tennessee fan in their right mind is sold on Heupel, but after the last decade I just don’t know about locking him in with an absurd buyout yet — especially given how unpredictable our sport is. What are your thoughts?
I think we just have.🙄

How about we wait and see how the Bama and UGA game plays out. Win or lose, if it's a tight game with under five minutes to play, then yes, a pay increase and possibly a buyout increase are worth the conversation.

Personally, I believe we let Danny White and the administration do what they’ve been doing…working directly with Coach Heupel to give him exactly what he needs to be successful. I have faith in Danny White to meet CJH’s expectations and keep him here for the foreseeable future in keeping with the good of the program.

CJH is loyal to Danny White, so unless it's a Package Deal, Heupel is here for a good while. Okla is not even a Lateral move .....

I really don’t care if he gets a high buyout. When coaches need to be fired that money always seems to appear.

I’m more concerned with the buyout if he left voluntarily. Need to make it painful for any school head hunting him.

This may have been part of Brian Kelly’s pitch to LSU for his 10-year $90 million buyout.

Heupel has exceeded expectations in every measurable way, and we are seeing a lot of signs that statistically point to him being an elite level coach. We could be currently seeing the “year 2 jump” which elite coaches usually display at their programs, and Heupel has already taken care of the “0-9 rule” by beating Florida this year. With all that being said, I’ve seen many Vol fans calling for him to get a raise (I agree on this point) and a few calling for a very hefty buyout to be added to his contract. Is it too early to be talking about that? If so, what will he have to do for us to get to that point? I know every Tennessee fan in their right mind is sold on Heupel, but after the last decade I just don’t know about locking him in with an absurd buyout yet — especially given how unpredictable our sport is. What are your thoughts?
Give him a huge raise immediately!

Reactions: lukeneyland
Danny will pay Josh whatever he wants we finally have a good AD. OU messed up and burned the Heupel bridge a long time ago. We don’t need to worry if he wanted the OU job he could have had it last season

The SEC is the top conference in college football. Heupel can build his own dynasty here. Unless something goes sideways, I think he is here a long time. He doesn't seem motivated by the money, but I don't know him personally. He seems to just want to win. He knew there would not be lasting success where he was and it can be done where he is.

Heupel just has to look at ole miss in order to not pull a Kiffin on us. Kiffin wants back here or something to the equivalent and has wanted that since 2018.

Personally, I believe we let Danny White and the administration do what they’ve been doing…working directly with Coach Heupel to give him exactly what he needs to be successful. I have faith in Danny White to meet CJH’s expectations and keep him here for the foreseeable future in keeping with the good of the program.

How might we not "let Danny White and the administration do what they've been doing?" Burn mattresses? Riot? Stop going to games? We just ride the big orange train.

Tennessee should increase the ole buyout at the end of the season. But I don’t think it will matter, if our coach wants to leave for Oklahoma or Texas or Norte Dame, or wherever, he will, no matter the buyout. I don’t think he would, but maybe in a few years, it’s possible. And those institutions would gladly pay said buyout, whatever (within reason) it may cost, if the offense continues to rack up the points and yards. Our coach, as well as Kiffin, knows that if they finish with 10 wins this season and in the top ten, they can go anywhere that is open. Now would they leave, Kiffin, very possibly yes, our coach, its unlikely. I just can’t imagine that he could have a better relationship with his “boss” than here. The support from the administration and fan base is elite right now. Why throw dice, when you got your roll in your pocket? Kiffin, on the other hand, is born to throw those dice.

Last edited:
How might we not "let Danny White and the administration do what they've been doing?" Burn mattresses? Riot? Stop going to games? We just ride the big orange train.
The response was to the OP who asked the question “When do WE” start talking buyout. To your exact point, WE don’t. WE allow those who know what their doing to keep him happy.

Looks like WE are saying the exact same thing.

The response was to the OP who asked the question “When do WE” start talking buyout. To your exact point, WE don’t. WE allow those who know what their doing to keep him happy.

Looks like WE are saying the exact same thing.
We are. I was having fun. Go Vols.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol

VN Store

Back