Awaka to the portal

Come on Tobe - we need you at UT and you can count on Coach Barnes to max out your potential.

Basilio just said Awaka is visiting Arizona and has Villanova and Georgetown on his short list - but not St John’s.

Also said the door is still open at UT.

Reactions: walkenvol
We appear to be in good shape with Milicic and Okpara so I don't think things are going to work out with Tobe, if he is scheduling visits.
He's known aidoo was gone for a good while. The door has remained open for Awaka to return yet, he's still in the portal. At some point, when do fans just move on from this guy? He obviously doesn't want to be at UT

He definitely doesn’t. He expects Barnes to wait and not add anyone and be at his mercy if he doesn’t. Makes it seem like he’s looking for an excuse not to come back.

Reactions: Smokey 77
He definitely doesn’t. He expects Barnes to wait and not add anyone and be at his mercy if he doesn’t. Makes it seem like he’s looking for an excuse not to come back.
The grass is always greener until there is no grass left. If CRB gets Igor and Okpara, there will be no grass for Awaka. Okpara is reported to be visiting with the UT coaches tomorrow.

He's known aidoo was gone for a good while. The door has remained open for Awaka to return yet, he's still in the portal. At some point, when do fans just move on from this guy? He obviously doesn't want to be at UT

The second he put his name in the portal, I moved on. Either you're with us or not

Basilio just said Awaka is visiting Arizona and has Villanova and Georgetown on his short list - but not St John’s.

Also said the door is still open at UT.
Not necessarily impressed with those alternatives but hope it works out for him. Don’t think he’ll end up back at this point, Okpara would be a comparable addition.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Well at least his parents get to make it to every home game now.
Wish the kid the best of luck. Truth of the matter is, Arizona or any other school could help relocate his parents to be closer is that was a big issue. From everything I have heard/read, Tobe is a great young man and did nothing but represent our university and basketball program in the right way. Hopefully it ends up being a great situation for him and his development.

This truly makes no sense based on the reasons why he reportedly left. If it isn’t about money, and it was about playing time, fit, and proximity to home, going further away from home where you likely will still be a bench player is just so damn puzzling.
Safe to assume he overplayed his hand and that being a bench player was his only option unless he wanted to go to a lower tier program?

Reactions: joevols89
I understand why Aidoo left. Barnes took him off the floor when he was playing his worst basketball of the season. That hurt his feelings.

No idea why Awaka is leaving. Maybe Barnes didn't promise him a starting position, or he though he would / should've been starting over JJJ this year.

Wish the kid the best of luck. Truth of the matter is, Arizona or any other school could help relocate his parents to be closer is that was a big issue. From everything I have heard/read, Tobe is a great young man and did nothing but represent our university and basketball program in the right way. Hopefully it ends up being a great situation for him and his development.
He's a VFN. Vol for Now. I don't wish him anything good or bad. I just move on to supporting the guys wearing the pantone 151.

Reactions: SmokeyLives
I understand why Aidoo left. Barnes took him off the floor when he was playing his worst basketball of the season. That hurt his feelings.

No idea why Awaka is leaving. Maybe Barnes didn't promise him a starting position, or he though he would / should've been starting over JJJ this year.

May be an unpopular opinion but the decision to be loyal and start JJJ was the right one. JJJ was cultural glue for UT's program for 5 years, has a big personality, is very liked by his peers, has high basketball IQ and will be around the game or coaching in some capacity for the next 30-40 years. He is also from an area that produces talent that we recruit regularly.

Nothing that Awaka has or would have done will compare to the potential impact JJJ has as a VFL for many years to come. Think Bobby Maze and how many guys looked at UT from his AAU coaching...I think JJJ has that level of impact at the very least. Tobe just isn't the type of guy to do that and his on court value is also limited.

VN Store

Back