Back to the Future (99Gator's prediction thread)

Thanks for the post, lizard. I agree UF wins. Mullen is the veteran coach here, and it's Pruitt's first rodeo in the SEC. First seasons are usually pretty ugly. UF by multiple touchdowns.

Only way Florida wins big is if Tennessee has a bunch of turnovers (see their CSU game for why I say that.) I don't see us doing that after having a couple of turnovers/fumbles last week. It had to be a focus this week during practice.

Reactions: feathersax
That's 1 gator that's been around here for awhile that's been a pretty decent poster.

He can't help cheering on the Gators because he caught gaytoritis years ago and hasn't found a cure.

This year is really weird with 2 bad Teams and both have new coaching staffs.

Most Vols fans aren't happy with what they've seen so far.

Most Gator fans aren't happy with what they've seen so far.

Nobody can really predict what will happen so we all just have to guess.

I guess I love my Vols so I guess my Vols will get the WIN.

I sure hope my guess comes true.

VFL...GBO!!!

Who wins this game? Florida, of course. Why? I have no idea.

Here's hoping we can all find a time machine and head Back to the Future when we aren't subjected to this crap anymore.

Good luck Saturday

I can respect that. That is exactly how I feel. the Vols win. Why? I have no idea.

Salute and here's to both teams leaving the field healthy.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
good stuff gator, as usual, but have to disagree on one little item...Vols win this one...I don't know why either...:D

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....all I know (in consideration of 3 of the past 4 years), is that if UT can find a way to lose, they'll knock everyone down in the process of doing so. If "luck" has anything to do with this game, then hands down, UF will win. I"m holing out that UT hasn't had much competition the last 2 weeks and they'll come out hungry and ready. They'll be motivated to play/win. If this is all a bunch of hot air, then it'll be a boring game with UF kicking a game-winning field goal in the final 2 seconds (after completing a 45 yard pass on 4th and 44).

Reactions: musolfmj
The offense and defense of both teams are pretty well evenly matched imo. Both have talented areas and alot of suck around them.

ST's bother me in this game. Although we have punted well, the punt return game is a little less than steller. MC tries to advance when a defender is in his face and fair catches when theres a 12yd cushion and also has muffed one. UF has been forcing TO's and shown a pretty good return game so that part worries me.

I still am calling for a Vol win, not sure why other than I believe JG is the better QB.

Position group breakdown:
QB - Franks has 9 TD passes, JG has 2. JG completes 73% of his passes, Franks 53%. Franks has thrown for more yards. Both are about the same experience-wise, both have flashed talent but both have generally had underwhelming careers thus far. Edge - Even.

RB’s - UF’s main two are Scarlett and Perine, UT’s main two are Chandler and Jordan. All four are solid SEC backs but UF’s duo has much more experience in big games. Scarlett has 232 career carries with 8 TD’s, Perine has 240 career carries with 9 TD’s. Perine is also an excellent receiver out the backfield with 20 career catches. Comparatively, Chandler has 87 career carries and 3 TD’s, Jordan is less experienced with 59 carries and 2 TD’s. Edge - Florida

TE - probably the least talented group on the field for either team. UF has several options here with Cyontai Lewis, Moral Stephens, Kemore Gamble and Lucas Krull, but none of them have huge production this season or in their careers so far. Lewis is an experienced senior with 29 career catches and 5 TD’s, but Gator fans will quickly tell you how bad he sucks. Lewis has at least 10 drops in his career. UT has Eli Wolf, Austin Pope and Dominick Woods-Anderson. Woods-Anderson has 4 catches and a score and he’s probably played the best of all the TE’s for both teams so far. So for that: Edge - UT.

WR’s - there is really good talent at this position on both sides. Callaway and Jennings are proven big time players in the SEC for UT with guys like Palmer, Johnson and Murphy coming along nicely. Van Jefferson is a big time player for Florida and is leading the team with 8 catches and 3 TD’s. Tyree Cleveland and Kedarius Toney are also proven big time SEC players. Freddie Swain and Trevon Grimes are also promising playmakers. Career-wise, Jennings’ huge year in 2016 and Van Jefferson’s 91 catches at Ole Miss before transferring to Florida make them the two biggest threats on each team, although Callaway is having a better year so far for UT. Tough call, but I have to call this one - Even.

Offensive line - not even devoting brain energy to analyze this one too deeply because it’s very obvious the fan bases for both teams are not happy with their o-lines. Sadly for Florida, every single o-lineman has numerous career starts, tons of experience, but the inconsistencies are beyond frustrating. I will say the pass protection this year has been much better, but the inability to block people in the run game makes this unit average to below average. Tennessee fans seem to feel the same way about their o-line; too inconsistent and too soft (like UF) to give anyone much confidence. Opposite of the WR’s, where it’s even because both teams are pretty good, this position is even because both teams are pretty bad. Edge - Even.

Defensive line - I think depth and the rush ends give UF a slight edge here. Rush ends of Jabari Zuniga, Cece Jefferson and Jachai Polite are tough to deal with at times. UT trots out some solid players with Tuttle, Bain, Johnson and Phillips but I simply think UF’s playmakers on the edge give them a slight edge - Edge - Florida.

Linebackers - Bituli and Kirkland are the best two LB’s on either team unless David Reese is back and healthy for UF. UF is talented but very young at LB, or their experienced LB’s are the journeyman type. David Reese was a critical piece for UF coming into the season and was a huge loss when he rolled his ankle in fall camp. Kentucky was able to really exploit his absence and pretty much ran at will versus UF without UF’s best run-stuffer patrolling the middle. I think UT’s ability to run on UF and exploit their LB’s is their best chance to win. Even if Reese is back, you have to wonder if he’s in game shape as he hasn’t played yet this year. Edge - UT.

Secondary - had UF not lost Marco Wilson to an ACL versus Kentucky, this would be a no-brainer and huge advantage for UF. Even without Wilson, I think UF has the best two DB’s on the field in CJ Henderson and Chauncey Gardner. Henderson has 5 career picks including 2 pick-sixes and will be a 1st round NFL pick. Beyond that, UF is very young in the secondary. True freshman Trey Dean will eventually be great, but he’s still a true freshman. UF’s safeties are not reliable. Kentucky heaved two TD’s on broken plays because the safeties got lost in coverage. This is another area where UT has to take a few shots against UF. Warrior and Abernathy are solid, experienced players for UT, but the corners are young. The West Virginia game makes this one tough on UT because the entire game seemed to be UT’s DB’s chasing down WV’s WR’s. Maybe that game skews my opinion unfairly but I simply think Henderson and Garner give UF the advantage here. Edge - UF.

Special teams - I know UF fans have been absolutely thrilled with the improvements on special teams. UT fans seem to be pleased as well for the most part, although the punt return unit hasn’t been impressive. Due to 4 blocked kicks, one for a TD, plus a punt return TD... edge - UF.

Coaching - Even. Too early to call this one, both new coaches with new teams.

Intangibles - edge - UT. Home field advantage, period.

Position group breakdown:
QB - Franks has 9 TD passes, JG has 2. JG completes 73% of his passes, Franks 53%. Franks has thrown for more yards. Both are about the same experience-wise, both have flashed talent but both have generally had underwhelming careers thus far. Edge - Even.

RB’s - UF’s main two are Scarlett and Perine, UT’s main two are Chandler and Jordan. All four are solid SEC backs but UF’s duo has much more experience in big games. Scarlett has 232 career carries with 8 TD’s, Perine has 240 career carries with 9 TD’s. Perine is also an excellent receiver out the backfield with 20 career catches. Comparatively, Chandler has 87 career carries and 3 TD’s, Jordan is less experienced with 59 carries and 2 TD’s. Edge - Florida

TE - probably the least talented group on the field for either team. UF has several options here with Cyontai Lewis, Moral Stephens, Kemore Gamble and Lucas Krull, but none of them have huge production this season or in their careers so far. Lewis is an experienced senior with 29 career catches and 5 TD’s, but Gator fans will quickly tell you how bad he sucks. Lewis has at least 10 drops in his career. UT has Eli Wolf, Austin Pope and Dominick Woods-Anderson. Woods-Anderson has 4 catches and a score and he’s probably played the best of all the TE’s for both teams so far. So for that: Edge - UT.

WR’s - there is really good talent at this position on both sides. Callaway and Jennings are proven big time players in the SEC for UT with guys like Palmer, Johnson and Murphy coming along nicely. Van Jefferson is a big time player for Florida and is leading the team with 8 catches and 3 TD’s. Tyree Cleveland and Kedarius Toney are also proven big time SEC players. Freddie Swain and Trevon Grimes are also promising playmakers. Career-wise, Jennings’ huge year in 2016 and Van Jefferson’s 91 catches at Ole Miss before transferring to Florida make them the two biggest threats on each team, although Callaway is having a better year so far for UT. Tough call, but I have to call this one - Even.

Offensive line - not even devoting brain energy to analyze this one too deeply because it’s very obvious the fan bases for both teams are not happy with their o-lines. Sadly for Florida, every single o-lineman has numerous career starts, tons of experience, but the inconsistencies are beyond frustrating. I will say the pass protection this year has been much better, but the inability to block people in the run game makes this unit average to below average. Tennessee fans seem to feel the same way about their o-line; too inconsistent and too soft (like UF) to give anyone much confidence. Opposite of the WR’s, where it’s even because both teams are pretty good, this position is even because both teams are pretty bad. Edge - Even.

Defensive line - I think depth and the rush ends give UF a slight edge here. Rush ends of Jabari Zuniga, Cece Jefferson and Jachai Polite are tough to deal with at times. UT trots out some solid players with Tuttle, Bain, Johnson and Phillips but I simply think UF’s playmakers on the edge give them a slight edge - Edge - Florida.

Linebackers - Bituli and Kirkland are the best two LB’s on either team unless David Reese is back and healthy for UF. UF is talented but very young at LB, or their experienced LB’s are the journeyman type. David Reese was a critical piece for UF coming into the season and was a huge loss when he rolled his ankle in fall camp. Kentucky was able to really exploit his absence and pretty much ran at will versus UF without UF’s best run-stuffer patrolling the middle. I think UT’s ability to run on UF and exploit their LB’s is their best chance to win. Even if Reese is back, you have to wonder if he’s in game shape as he hasn’t played yet this year. Edge - UT.

Secondary - had UF not lost Marco Wilson to an ACL versus Kentucky, this would be a no-brainer and huge advantage for UF. Even without Wilson, I think UF has the best two DB’s on the field in CJ Henderson and Chauncey Gardner. Henderson has 5 career picks including 2 pick-sixes and will be a 1st round NFL pick. Beyond that, UF is very young in the secondary. True freshman Trey Dean will eventually be great, but he’s still a true freshman. UF’s safeties are not reliable. Kentucky heaved two TD’s on broken plays because the safeties got lost in coverage. This is another area where UT has to take a few shots against UF. Warrior and Abernathy are solid, experienced players for UT, but the corners are young. The West Virginia game makes this one tough on UT because the entire game seemed to be UT’s DB’s chasing down WV’s WR’s. Maybe that game skews my opinion unfairly but I simply think Henderson and Garner give UF the advantage here. Edge - UF.

Special teams - I know UF fans have been absolutely thrilled with the improvements on special teams. UT fans seem to be pleased as well for the most part, although the punt return unit hasn’t been impressive. Due to 4 blocked kicks, one for a TD, plus a punt return TD... edge - UF.

Coaching - Even. Too early to call this one, both new coaches with new teams.

Intangibles - edge - UT. Home field advantage, period.

LMAO DIS DUDE. He really thinks Franks is even with JG. Gonna be a rude awakening

99gator. I think I could sit down and enjoy a cold one with you. You are pretty level headed and straight shooting.
The only thing I would add to your post is " Both teams suck and are probably going to lose "

UT wins IMO simple because we are at home. Close game.

LMAO DIS DUDE. He really thinks Franks is even with JG. Gonna be a rude awakening
As good and well balanced as 99 is, this jort wearing JAWS dude is down there with LG for a lizard fan. He literally is the lizard version of D4H.

Oh and it gets better he gave UF an edge at RB despite having RBs that would struggle to start in the Sun Belt. Goodness
Where is Banks in that lineup? Banks gets ball control issue worked out he is a beast.

As much as I hate to say it, I think Florida wins by 10+. Hell, I'll be impressed if we get past the 50. Our Oline was getting gashed and slashed by ETSU and UTEP. I will be rooting for the opposite, but I'm just not seeing a W for the next several weeks.

I think it is even money that BOTH will be looking by year's end.

It seems like I’ve been writing this thread every year for a while now, but this game has reached new depths.

This game is unbelievably important for a reason I never thought was possible. And that reason is, after Saturday, both the winning and losing fan base may have to wait a month (or who knows how long) before they can see their team win again. So, whoever wins, enjoy it. Whoever loses, don’t worry, you can lose again next week. And the week after. And….you get the point.

Entering this game, it’s the same story. There is no Gator fan anywhere concerned about what Tennessee is going to put on the field on Saturday. The problem is what the Gators are going to put on the field. There isn’t a Tennessee fan anywhere concerned about what Florida is going to put on the field on Saturday. The problem is what the Vols are going to put on the field.

I am even having a difficult time finding something positive about individual units to hang my hat on. You know, the whole, yeah the team stinks but we convert 78% of our third downs when we attempt a pass to the tight end against zone coverage on 3rd and 5 or less between 2:00 and 3:00 PM EST. But, then I remembered the game starts at 7:00 PM and that thought process went out the window.

In all seriousness, I do believe in the Florida special teams. I don’t cringe when those units take the field. I do believe in home field advantage and Tennessee is at home. Other than that, I have no basis in reason or logic to forecast anything in this football game.

Fun Fact: Florida hasn’t lost to Kentucky and Tennessee in the same season since 1955. Phil Fulmer was 5 years old at the time. That’s the same year Dr. Emmett Brown discovered the flux capacitor…..which is what makes time travel possible.

And speaking of time travel, I’ll pat myself on the back and take you back to my prediction thread last season…..which couldn’t have been more accurate if my name was Ms. Cleo.

Prediction....someone's getting fired

I’ll see if lightning strikes twice. I'll need it to create the 1.21 Gigawatts necessary for Florida to complete a forward pass.

Who wins this game? Florida, of course. Why? I have no idea.

Here's hoping we can all find a time machine and head Back to the Future when we aren't subjected to this crap anymore.

Good luck Saturday

And check out my response to your post last year. Looks like somebody hit the quinella.

I have absolutely no idea how this game shakes out, but I have a feeling we’ll know everything we need to know about our team and the rest of the season afterwards.

@Jaws You way overestimate your team here, but it still doesn't mean you'll lose. Tennessee has the edge at QB, RB, WR, TE, and LB.

Unfortunately for Tennessee the O-line comparison is even/lean Florida and the D-line comparison goes to Florida. You win the line of scrimmage battle, which gives you a huge advantage no matter what the edge is at the skill positions.

VN Store

Back