Back to the Future (99Gator's prediction thread)

How the mighty have fallen. It used to be the battle of the east and whichever team was better. Now, it’s bout which team sucks less.

Reactions: MadWorld
99 been around for awhile. Thought it was a reasonable post. Some many questions on both sides. X-factor for me is Jennings. Hope he channels some “Tabor magic”. Go Vols!
Like the X-Factor pick but I am thinking of someone along the lines of Dominick Wood or Madre London on offense and Abernathy on Defense, DB's need a big game!

Reactions: Gary10ec1
Mmmmmm. Just my take, but UT's herd of RBs and the (soon to be proven) reality that UT's passing game is more consistent than floorduh's, will give UT the edge on offense, and the Vols' improving ability to stop the run game will reach it's own reality. Add to that the home-field advantage, these edges should allow UT to celebrate a W by midnight. UT-24, UF-19. GBO!

Last edited:
Florida's special teams have given them a lot of edge in areas with their large turnover margin, but Florida's run defense gives up almost 200 yards per game (yes, Snell contributed to this but), and Tennessee has three guys who can run the ball (Jordan, Chandler, and London) and have ripped off runs greater than 30 yards. Florida certainly isn't without talent, but if Tennessee comes to play on the line, the Vols can march at a respectable rate and keep both the clock and the chains moving in their favor.

Fun Fact: Florida's red zone defense is ranked #1 in the nation at 100% on 0 of 0 attempts. Every score has come from outside the red zone.

Reactions: OneVolNation
I've always wanted to see a big ol Gator in a guillotine with it's decapitated head laying in a maggot infested pile of bull shat and pig slime, just saying

Go freaking Vols
Gators to the guillotine and more

I've always wanted to see a big ol Gator in a guillotine with it's decapitated head laying in a maggot infested pile of bull shat and pig slime, just saying

Go freaking Vols
Gators to the guillotine and more

Just because of 25 years of frustration for all Vol fans and especially for my good friends of VolNation, yes indeed!

Position group breakdown:
QB - Franks has 9 TD passes, JG has 2. JG completes 73% of his passes, Franks 53%. Franks has thrown for more yards. Both are about the same experience-wise, both have flashed talent but both have generally had underwhelming careers thus far. Edge - Even.

RB’s - UF’s main two are Scarlett and Perine, UT’s main two are Chandler and Jordan. All four are solid SEC backs but UF’s duo has much more experience in big games. Scarlett has 232 career carries with 8 TD’s, Perine has 240 career carries with 9 TD’s. Perine is also an excellent receiver out the backfield with 20 career catches. Comparatively, Chandler has 87 career carries and 3 TD’s, Jordan is less experienced with 59 carries and 2 TD’s. Edge - Florida

TE - probably the least talented group on the field for either team. UF has several options here with Cyontai Lewis, Moral Stephens, Kemore Gamble and Lucas Krull, but none of them have huge production this season or in their careers so far. Lewis is an experienced senior with 29 career catches and 5 TD’s, but Gator fans will quickly tell you how bad he sucks. Lewis has at least 10 drops in his career. UT has Eli Wolf, Austin Pope and Dominick Woods-Anderson. Woods-Anderson has 4 catches and a score and he’s probably played the best of all the TE’s for both teams so far. So for that: Edge - UT.

WR’s - there is really good talent at this position on both sides. Callaway and Jennings are proven big time players in the SEC for UT with guys like Palmer, Johnson and Murphy coming along nicely. Van Jefferson is a big time player for Florida and is leading the team with 8 catches and 3 TD’s. Tyree Cleveland and Kedarius Toney are also proven big time SEC players. Freddie Swain and Trevon Grimes are also promising playmakers. Career-wise, Jennings’ huge year in 2016 and Van Jefferson’s 91 catches at Ole Miss before transferring to Florida make them the two biggest threats on each team, although Callaway is having a better year so far for UT. Tough call, but I have to call this one - Even.

Offensive line - not even devoting brain energy to analyze this one too deeply because it’s very obvious the fan bases for both teams are not happy with their o-lines. Sadly for Florida, every single o-lineman has numerous career starts, tons of experience, but the inconsistencies are beyond frustrating. I will say the pass protection this year has been much better, but the inability to block people in the run game makes this unit average to below average. Tennessee fans seem to feel the same way about their o-line; too inconsistent and too soft (like UF) to give anyone much confidence. Opposite of the WR’s, where it’s even because both teams are pretty good, this position is even because both teams are pretty bad. Edge - Even.

Defensive line - I think depth and the rush ends give UF a slight edge here. Rush ends of Jabari Zuniga, Cece Jefferson and Jachai Polite are tough to deal with at times. UT trots out some solid players with Tuttle, Bain, Johnson and Phillips but I simply think UF’s playmakers on the edge give them a slight edge - Edge - Florida.

Linebackers - Bituli and Kirkland are the best two LB’s on either team unless David Reese is back and healthy for UF. UF is talented but very young at LB, or their experienced LB’s are the journeyman type. David Reese was a critical piece for UF coming into the season and was a huge loss when he rolled his ankle in fall camp. Kentucky was able to really exploit his absence and pretty much ran at will versus UF without UF’s best run-stuffer patrolling the middle. I think UT’s ability to run on UF and exploit their LB’s is their best chance to win. Even if Reese is back, you have to wonder if he’s in game shape as he hasn’t played yet this year. Edge - UT.

Secondary - had UF not lost Marco Wilson to an ACL versus Kentucky, this would be a no-brainer and huge advantage for UF. Even without Wilson, I think UF has the best two DB’s on the field in CJ Henderson and Chauncey Gardner. Henderson has 5 career picks including 2 pick-sixes and will be a 1st round NFL pick. Beyond that, UF is very young in the secondary. True freshman Trey Dean will eventually be great, but he’s still a true freshman. UF’s safeties are not reliable. Kentucky heaved two TD’s on broken plays because the safeties got lost in coverage. This is another area where UT has to take a few shots against UF. Warrior and Abernathy are solid, experienced players for UT, but the corners are young. The West Virginia game makes this one tough on UT because the entire game seemed to be UT’s DB’s chasing down WV’s WR’s. Maybe that game skews my opinion unfairly but I simply think Henderson and Garner give UF the advantage here. Edge - UF.

Special teams - I know UF fans have been absolutely thrilled with the improvements on special teams. UT fans seem to be pleased as well for the most part, although the punt return unit hasn’t been impressive. Due to 4 blocked kicks, one for a TD, plus a punt return TD... edge - UF.

Coaching - Even. Too early to call this one, both new coaches with new teams.

Intangibles - edge - UT. Home field advantage, period.
Have to disagree monumentally on QB.. JG is better..

Based on what metric? Both of them completely sucked last year. This year, Franks is way better at TD passes and yards and rushing, JG is better at completion percentage. Neither appear to be able to carry their teams on their backs. Has JG done that and the rest of America just not know about it?

Based on what metric? Both of them completely sucked last year. This year, Franks is way better at TD passes and yards and rushing, JG is better at completion percentage. Neither appear to be able to carry their teams on their backs. Has JG done that and the rest of America just not know about it?

Nah, just you.

Whoever runs for more yards and has fewer turnovers will most likely win.

Given what I have seen from the Vols, I don't think they open many rushing lanes for the backs.

Nah, just you.

JG has 6 career TD passes, Franks has 18. Franks has 2008 career passing yards, JG has a little over 1400. Franks has rushed for more yards. JG has a better career completion % and slightly better QB rating. Both of them have awful career won-loss records.

You can sell me on the greatness of JG, I’m waiting. I’m certainly not saying Franks is great, I’m saying JG is no better or worse.

JG has 6 career TD passes, Franks has 18. Franks has 2008 career passing yards, JG has a little over 1400. Franks has rushed for more yards. JG has a better career completion % and slightly better QB rating. Both of them have awful career won-loss records.

You can sell me on the greatness of JG, I’m waiting. I’m certainly not saying Franks is great, I’m saying JG is no better or worse.

I'm not trying to sell anything. You're trying to sell Franks and I ain't buying. Why are you pi$$ed off already? You don't lose until Saturday, then you can be pi$$ed off.

Reactions: MadWorld

I may be proven wrong, but if I was gator fan 🤮 I would be pretty worried about Franks throwing interceptions in this game. Franks can't get past his second progression if WR 1 or 2 isn't open. He seems to panic and chuck it. On the other hand, JG has been pretty dang accurate 72% I believe, and thrown zero picks.

Reactions: OneVolNation
That's exactly what he wants you to think. They beat us and he'll laugh his ass off just like any other gator would. Pfftt.

Remember the good ole days during Florida week? All the gator noobs joining that week and talking smack all week long.

Boy, you have stepped in it.

Remember the good ole days during Florida week? All the gator noobs joining that week and talking smack all week long.

There's still a few "noobs" in here acting all defeated, but if, and I mean IF, the lizards should somehow win Saturday, they'll be in here gloating.

Barring some fluke outcome both teams will know exactly where they stand after this game. The loser is in for a VERY long season.

Atp I’ve got ZERO feel for what might happen. Just the usual pregame jitters and anxieties. GO VOLS

I may be proven wrong, but if I was gator fan 🤮 I would be pretty worried about Franks throwing interceptions in this game. Franks can't get past his second progression if WR 1 or 2 isn't open. He seems to panic and chuck it. On the other hand, JG has been pretty dang accurate 72% I believe, and thrown zero picks.

Oh I’m worried about Franks, and the o-line, and the run defense, and the young safeties, etc. My point was/is that Franks has improved in every facet this year over last year. The 9 TD’s versus 2 picks shows this. Name a stat, he’s better. Does that mean I think he’s on the verge of being Rex Grossman, heck no. Do I think Mullen has him playing much better, abolsutely yes. My other point was that, unless I’m missing something, JG isn’t exactly great either. He’s got a very good completion % but aside from that, not much. Only 2 TD passes, not very many passing yards, actually minus rushing yards. He gets credit for 0 picks too, that’s a positive.

Neither team has a great QB. Maybe they’ll both be great in time, but as of right now, it’s not good.

Barring some fluke outcome both teams will know exactly where they stand after this game. The loser is in for a VERY long season.

Atp I’ve got ZERO feel for what might happen. Just the usual pregame jitters and anxieties. GO VOLS

Agree. Nothing would surprise me in this game. I could see a blowout either way. I could also see either team winning a close game like last year. Both teams have new coaches, fragile psyches, and both teams have some serious deficiencies. Most of the nation won’t care about this game but it’ll be interesting for the fan bases for sure.

Reactions: Woke

Agree on JG, but Florida's defense is much more physical than Kongbo and UT by a fair margin, unfortunately
Frank's has the stronger arm and edge in experience, but may be more mistake prone

VN Store

Back