Ball control

I try ought the discussion included Olivia Miles for some reason.

Wasn’t there a list of non-lady vol guards somewhere?

A comparison of point guards and Horston (Who plays point occasionally)
Horston - Turnovers 75, Assists 65
Miles (ND) To's 71, Assists 145
Clark (Iowa) To's 78, Assists 145
Henderson (SC) To's 40, Assists74
Ryan (Iowa St)To's 57, Assists 134
Through games played 1/28/22

Reactions: Ladyvol777
Teams in the Top 25 that have played since Thursday and have WON have averaged 12 or less turnovers in each of those games. That is not by coincidence. I'll bet this is a stat that is common for most of the year for winning programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
I remember one game tess man was guarding her close. stripline came out set pick for tess . tess had time to get a clean look.. it went in and back out but not a set play. stripline saw tess guarded close and she knew how to get her and open look. and karoline set one for sara and sare hit it. it does have be tess. sara,raeand both jordan's can knot them down to. our three shooters % would go up if they got a few more clean looks. wrong thread this answering stripline can step uo. one post was about getting tess open shoots.

Last edited:
Turn overs are the primary reason we have lost two games this year. Why not try to get some action on correcting the biggest problem we have?
Maybe . Look at the boxscore , three of your
most heralded player didn't score a lick.
And Keyes haven't been playing the same since
going down. I cannot believe SugarRae
went down with single digit points. Incredible.
But you're still right on the turnies.

And only Jordan and Henderson play for top five
team. And the SC player is in her four year.

Interesting numbers considering the ball goes through each of them at least one time on offense every play. Thats a ton of handles that didn't result in a TO or Assist.

Ok, here are the TO stats for games played this season for each player (Minutes Played/ Turnovers) from most turnovers to least turnovers:

Horston 485/75
Walker 523/51
Dye 467/42
Miles 405/38
Puckett 434/35
Key 485/27
Green 277/21
Darby 389/16
Wynn 139/13
Burrell 158/10
Stripping 104/9
Rennie 90/3
Saunders 69/2
horston, walker, miles have the ball in their hand more. horston was not a point guard in high school. horston had to help at point guard went she better suit for 2,3 spot. and horston would fine playing 4 some to. so non point guards low turnovers does not make horston turnover miss tennessee. horston plays where the team needs her not where she best suited.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I try ought the discussion included Olivia Miles for some reason.

Wasn’t there a list of non-lady vol guards somewhere?

Jordan Horston has really closed the gap in the last few games. In the Vanderbilt game she was 5 and 3. In the Kentucky game she was 5 and 2. In The Georgia game she was 4 and 2. In the Auburn game she was 1 and 6. She did have a bad Auburn game, but was getting better.

Reactions: Lucy and travis929
It's all about possesions, and so far, their offensive rebounds have mostly made up for the turnovers.

its more than just watching turnovers,,,it's gamesmanship too.
I watched a respected and highly ranked coach/team yesterday
the opp had an 8-0 run in the first, no timeout
the team opened the 2nd half,,,first made field goal was 5.30 into the half. No timeout
18-2 run before calling a timeout

I just don't understand this philosophy

its more than just watching turnovers,,,it's gamesmanship too.
I watched a respected and highly ranked coach/team yesterday
the opp had an 8-0 run in the first, no timeout
the team opened the 2nd half,,,first made field goal was 5.30 into the half. No timeout
18-2 run before calling a timeout

I just don't understand this philosophy
The analytics I'd like to see involve what happens after the time out. What percentage of runs get stopped by a time out as opposed to runs stopped without one. I'll bet the philosophy is that they aren't that effective in actually stopping the run. Lets coach look exasperated on camera and it's what fans expect. But if stats showed t.o.s work don't you think they'd still be calling them?

The analytics I'd like to see involve what happens after the time out. What percentage of runs get stopped by a time out as opposed to runs stopped without one. I'll bet the philosophy is that they aren't that effective in actually stopping the run. Lets coach look exasperated on camera and it's what fans expect. But if stats showed t.o.s work don't you think they'd still be calling them?

but it does interrupt momentum at the point it is used.
what the team does AFTER the timeout is what dictates the success/failure of the move
but at least their IS A MOVE

VN Store

Back