Ball control

but it does interrupt momentum at the point it is used.
what the team does AFTER the timeout is what dictates the success/failure of the move
but at least their IS A MOVE
I totally get it. In real life if things are going bad you stop, regather, take deep breaths. Perfect common sense. But my point remains that having so many good coaches abandon the practice tells me something told them, possibly incorrectly, that it doesn't actually work and the t.o. is better off saved. What other possible reason could there be?

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I totally get it. In real life if things are going bad you stop, regather, take deep breaths. Perfect common sense. But my point remains that having so many good coaches abandon the practice tells me something told them, possibly incorrectly, that it doesn't actually work and the t.o. is better off saved. What other possible reason could there be?

Data analytics. I guarantee it. Fans "remember" situations where a TO correlates with the end of a run but not all the times where it didn't. D.A. likely says that TOs have more value late in games when they can be used strategically and that coaches can generally use substitutions and changes in offensive and defensive schemes to better impact the flow of a game.

Data analytics. I guarantee it.
Yes that was my original thought. I'm sure some data somewhere explains the no time out trend. Just bc everyone always used to do it and it seems instinctual does not mean it actually works.

I think some coaches love those t.o.s bc its one more chance to do sideline performative art.

Yes that was my original thought. I'm sure some data somewhere explains the no time out trend. Just bc everyone always used to do it and it seems instinctual does not mean it actually works.....

....or it does work but what is trying to be achieved on the floor at the time is for the team leadership to take control and right the ship. Kellie has to be disappointed that the team was not prepared. When I saw the "Chief" and Kanter calling the game, I knew it might be a long game if it got physical.

Data analytics. I guarantee it. Fans "remember" situations where a TO correlates with the end of a run but not all the times where it didn't. D.A. likely says that TOs have more value late in games when they can be used strategically and that coaches can generally use substitutions and changes in offensive and defensive schemes to better impact the flow of a game.

Its not only IF it works, but, what the team feels as well.
They know the coach will stop the onslaught and they grow confident in this fact.
A moment of relief, a chance to breathe,,a chance to regather.

Leaving them out there to take abuse has two finalities,,,they get tougher or they break.
I am their coach and as such it up to me to defend them when they can't defend themselves.
Against refs, other coaches and the other teams. That is MY job!

I don't expect everyone to agree with my philosophy, but it IS my philosophy and I have had more over-achieving teams than under-achieving teams. (And NO,,I am not saying the LV's have under-achieved,,,except in THIS game.)

Its not only IF it works, but, what the team feels as well.
They know the coach will stop the onslaught and they grow confident in this fact.
A moment of relief, a chance to breathe,,a chance to regather.

Leaving them out there to take abuse has two finalities,,,they get tougher or they break.
I am their coach and as such it up to me to defend them when they can't defend themselves.
Against refs, other coaches and the other teams. That is MY job!

I don't expect everyone to agree with my philosophy, but it IS my philosophy and I have had more over-achieving teams than under-achieving teams. (And NO,,I am not saying the LV's have under-achieved,,,except in THIS game.)
That's great. You do you. But the question is why real coaches like Harper and Barnes have abandoned the practice of automatically calling t.o.s to stop runs. Obviously, for whatever reason, they don't think they work.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
That's great. You do you. But the question is why real coaches like Harper and Barnes have abandoned the practice of automatically calling t.o.s to stop runs. Obviously, for whatever reason, they don't think they work.

How did their last game using this strategy turn out?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Mudcat, you're up!

200.gif

How did their last game using this strategy turn out?

It is like going for 1st down on a 4th and 1. Sometimes you do miss and turn the ball over but in the long, teams gain more by playing the probabilities. the LVs are 18-2 with Kellie's TO propensities are working out okay.

And, there is no guarantee that taking TO would have made any difference in the Auburn game.

Last edited:
I'm going to say this for maybe the 50th time, but Kellie's teams are and have always been high turnover and low field goal percentage teams. Anybody claiming she needs to fix that simply isn't paying attention. What they can't do is a) have defensive lapses and/or b) get outrebounded, because those are what she builds on. The theory is that turnovers and bad shots are the norm, but mostly irrelevant if you get second shots and the opponents don't score. Not turning the ball over and/or hitting our 3s is icing on the cake and usually means a blowout win.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
So gleeful for a LV fan. Is there now any doubt he is a troll?

Anyone who still thinks Darth is hoping for the Lady Vols to have a good season is a complete moron.

In the 25 or so years that I have been posting on message boards, I have never encountered a poster more consistently, more joyously, more doggedly determined to undermine the general health of ANY program than has Darth_Vol of the Lady Vols.

It is obvious to me that this person is an obsessive fan of some other program that absolutely HATES Tennessee. And since his mouth is firmly all up on Auriemma’s micro d, has lusted after Auriemma’s friend Jeff Walz, and has recently gone ga-ga for Shea Ralph like a Boneyarder, it’s obvious to me that he has been running another “CT fan poser” scam for YEARS on here.

Eff him. Lying, coward poser! Not that being called out for what he is will affect him whatsoever. Cheating, lying, deceitful people THRIVE on this stuff.

People like me can only know that some day, SOME WAY, his sick sh!t will come back on him. I am 100% confident in this.

100%. Maybe not now. Maybe not this year. Maybe not this decade. But one day he’ll regret being such a complete @sshole. Guaranteed.

I can also guarantee he will laugh this off and keep the charade going. It’ll end eventually, though. His kind of hatefulness doesn’t usually end well.

Last edited:
Turnovers have been an issue for the LV for years, Even during Pat's heyday, we often were just average or slightly above average in turnovers while we excelled in everything else. Since then, turnovers have been our plight. One thing about the UCONN teams in the Pat era that I begrudgingly respected is how they excelled in passing. Their teams would pass quickly and accurately in the motion offense and almost inevitably find the open player without turning the ball over. I think that the LVs tradition in rebounding has been a bit at the expense of passing and court awareness. All of couches from Pat to KJH would rail in the postgame interviews if our opponent would even be remotely close in rebound margin but not make a comment or at most say the "we need to take better care of the ball" when we have repeated negative turnover margins. Don't get me wrong, I love our rebounding tradition and it is the reason why we aren't in the lower half of the SEC this year. Nevertheless, it would be wonderful if we could put some more emphasis in passing and court awareness in practice and in recruiting.

I'm going to say this for maybe the 50th time, but Kellie's teams are and have always been high turnover and low field goal percentage teams. Anybody claiming she needs to fix that simply isn't paying attention.

Then she probably won't be the long-term coach here...

Yes that was my original thought. I'm sure some data somewhere explains the no time out trend. Just bc everyone always used to do it and it seems instinctual does not mean it actually works.

I think some coaches love those t.o.s bc its one more chance to do sideline performative art.

Kellie was a math major, and I read that she is into sports analytics, which would make sense. I'd be willing to believe she could reel off some stats about TO's and their timing, and justify how she approaches it.

Reactions: glv98

VN Store

Back