Barnes vs Pearl

We aren't offering him in the neighborhood of $4mil/yr either.

And we're gonna regret not doing that either. If you care enough, you'll pay whatever's necessary. Having Bruce and Marshall at both Alabama schools makes me absolutely sick

I'll take Barnes right now. Get us to the tournament for the next several years and when he retires, the program would be in good standing for another coach. IMO if he wants the job, we should give it to him. You tell recruits you put Kevin Durant in the NBA and they'll start to listen. I'm Rick Barnes B***h!!

Has anyone around here watched a Texas game over the past few years?

Although, for everyone out there who loves coaches who save their timeouts for the next game, and don't draw up plays for end of game situations-Rick is the best bet out there. Let's get him! Hooray-Texas's sloppy seconds. Watch your back, Coach Cal!

This

The love he is getting on here shouldn't surprise me, but it does.

And we're gonna regret not doing that either. If you care enough, you'll pay whatever's necessary. Having Bruce and Marshall at both Alabama schools makes me absolutely sick

Tennessee doesn't have the funds Alabama has to pay a coach that much money, plus their buyout, plus their assistant coaches, etc. If Alabama wants him then no other school (maybe including Texas) will get him, they have money to burn right now.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not talking about their head to head record because we know Pearl has the upper hand. I've been hearing that Rick Barnes is an underachiever (which is debatable in the tournament I understand) but for argument sake I'm going to compare the 6 years Pearl was here (2005-2011) to the 6 years Barnes was at Texas during (2005-2011). Note: I am not bashing Pearl. He is my favorite coach to coach at Tennessee (didn't get to see Mears coach). This is simply to show people that Barnes is truly a great coach and he has stats to back it up.

Rick Barnes recruiting rankings per rivals...

2014 - 20th
2013 - out of top 25
2012 - 11th
2011 - 8th
2010 - 8th
2009 - 2nd
2008 - out of top 25
2007 - 21st
2006 - 3rd
2005 - out of top 25
2004 - 3rd

For comparison I'm going to give you Pearl's rankings when he was at Tennessee..

2010 - 9th Tobias, Mcrae, Golden
2009 - out of top 25
2008- 7th Hopson, Negedu, Woolridge, Maze
2007 - out of top 25
2006 - 6th Crews, Ramar, Chism
2005 - his first class shouldn't count (out of top 25)

I love Pearl and what he done at UT but I just want to put into perspective of hiw great Barnes is at recruiting.

Yeah but Barnes underachieved with that talent...did he?

From 2005-2011: Barnes made it to 2 elite 8's
From 2005-2011: Pearl made it to 1 elite 8.

During that 6 year span Barnes averaged.

Barnes: 27 wins and 9 loses
Pearl: 24 wins 10 loses

Players drafted in that 6 year span...

Barnes 12 (4 lottery picks)
Lamarcus Aldridge
PJ Tucker
Daniel Gibson
Kevin Durant
DJ Augustin
Avery Bradley
Damion Jones
Trevor Booker
Dexter Pittman
Tristan Thompson
Jordan Hamilton
Cory Joseph

Pearl 2
CJ Watson
Tobias Harris

Again, I do not want to take away from what Pearl did for our program, but I want to put into perspective of how good of a coach Barnes is. He may not be an elite floor coach but the man is an elite recruiter and talent evaluator. Barnes is by far the best candidate we are after. Call him an underachiever all you want but I just proved to you with facts and stats that he accomplished more than my favorite coach Bruce Pearl did during the 6 year span that he was here.

Is he washed up? Well he is averaging 22 wins and 13 loses in the past 5 years and has only missed the tournament once during that period. In recruiting he has been in the top 25 4 out of the 5 past years with two top 10 classes. I believe these past 5 years he started to decline.

Some coaches stay at one place too long and get comfortable. Coach Cal himself said he doesn't plan to stay at UK any longer than 10 years. I think a change of scenery would do well for Barnes and would be the best candidate for us.

Why is there a discussion that includes Pearl. Do you not realize he is gone?? Did you forget he is also a cheater???

Why is there a discussion that includes Pearl. Do you not realize he is gone?? Did you forget he is also a cheater???

It's because he is the most successful coach we have had in decades and everyone puts him on a pedestal. It was just for comparison sake, man. To show that Barnes isn't as terrible as people are making him sound. His 600+ wins plus 20+ tourney appearances speak for itself.

Barnes is by far the best choice available. I would take early exits in the ncaat over 16-16 any day.

What is Texas record the last 4 years against relatively weak competition and no rebuilding to do? Barnes has .500 written all over him.

With this roster .500 is good, I think .500 next year and then 18-20 the second, and then after that I think Barnes could get 20-24 wins 3rd year. That's realistic especially if he can land in-state guys like Abdul Ado and Braxton Blackwell. He can do well here whether people believe it or not. Good coach not great, but will get us to consistently 20-24 wins a year given a year or two.

With this roster .500 is good, I think .500 next year and then 18-20 the second, and then after that I think Barnes could get 20-24 wins 3rd year. That's realistic especially if he can land in-state guys like Abdul Ado and Braxton Blackwell. He can do well here whether people believe it or not. Good coach not great, but will get us to consistently 20-24 wins a year given a year or two.

If he can come in and grab ado and blackwell I will get in my broke down chevy s10 go down and name him the king of Knox. Lol

It's because he is the most successful coach we have had in decades and everyone puts him on a pedestal. It was just for comparison sake, man. To show that Barnes isn't as terrible as people are making him sound. His 600+ wins plus 20+ tourney appearances speak for itself.

Wouldn't an analysis of his most recent 5 years be more relevent?

I forgot to mention that he had a borderline top 25 class this year already signed up. It's ranked 26th per 247. His top player is Eric Davis from Michigan (proof he can recruit outside of Texas) a 4 star that had offers from Kansas and Michigan state and pretty much every other east coast team minus UK and Duke. He's still recruiting at a high level so it would be nice having a coach recruiting against the big names instead of the FIU's and UCF's of college basketball lol. Recruiting is half of the battle.

Reactions: 3 people
Kevin Durant
D.J. Augustine
Tristan Thompson
Lamarcus Aldridge
And about 12 others

Consistently top 20 in recruiting

Among those "12 others" are Avery Bradley, TJ Ford, Daniel Gibson, Royal Ivey, Dexter Pittman, Damion James, Cory Joseph.....pretty good recruiting prowess if you ask me. And not all of the kids are from Texas, so no one can say "these are all home grown kids who were always going to Texas".....

Among those "12 others" are Avery Bradley, TJ Ford, Daniel Gibson, Royal Ivey, Dexter Pittman, Damion James, Cory Joseph.....pretty good recruiting prowess if you ask me. And not all of the kids are from Texas, so no one can say "these are all home grown kids who were always going to Texas".....

Rick Barnes Review: Evaluating Texas Basketball Recruiting, Part 1 - Burnt Orange Nation

Puts it all in perspective. Barnes hasn't done as good as you think given his long tenure in Austin.

Reactions: 2 people
So his drafted list is way bigger than Pearls, yet the W/L record is very close...

That means he underachieves.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back