Basilio blog today

I wonder when these staff changes will happen... I feel like if they were announced early enough and the assistants are big enough names they could give recruiting a big shot in the arm

After the bowl game is when I expect coaching changes to begin.

buTch may have a new person or 2 already committed and ready to move to the hill fast.

Time will tell.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
The Tony Basilio Show

I've heard DeBord is either going to retire or take a job in Football Operations and Mark Helfrich is coming in to be OC. I've heard Willie Martinez is out and Bob Shoop will be the one to name his replacement. I've also heard a strength and conditioning coach could be coming in from the NFL ranks. Now, like I said, do not take that as the gospel because this is a fluid situation and I can't confirm these moves. I will say, I didn't hear this from just some Joe Blow off of the street.

No idea if any of this is true just found it interesting

Sounds like the best option. I second the motion. All in favor, indicate your approval by raising your right hand.

How good has Oregons offense been post Mariota and Chip Kelly?
How much of the offense did he actually run while Chip was there?

The Tony Basilio Show

I've heard DeBord is either going to retire or take a job in Football Operations and Mark Helfrich is coming in to be OC. I've heard Willie Martinez is out and Bob Shoop will be the one to name his replacement. I've also heard a strength and conditioning coach could be coming in from the NFL ranks. Now, like I said, do not take that as the gospel because this is a fluid situation and I can't confirm these moves. I will say, I didn't hear this from just some Joe Blow off of the street.

These would be positive steps in the right direction.

If Helfrich comes to the Hill, I fully believe Butch will be giving up the play calling duties. A guy like Helfrich is not going to be just a pawn like Debord was.

Reactions: 2 people
The Tony Basilio Show

Basically, Tony just re-typed what John Brice has been reporting since Friday. So since Brice is reporting it, most of it is accurate.

Helfrich is far from a done deal, he has several suitors.

Reactions: 5 people
If Don Mahoney is still here next year, the offense will be as bad as the defense was this year.

We don't have a QB on the roster that is capable of scrambling as much as Dobbs does to survive behind the Mahoney-line.

Butch does not call plays now, so OC will call them no matter who it is.

The Tony Basilio Show

If true, Butch actually has some stones. I might be wrong about him. However, he still has a lot of work to do in the coaching department on gamedays.

While anything is possible, I don't see Helfrich coming to Tennessee, I would be in favor of the move however

The Tony Basilio Show

Ah the old "fluid situation". I remember when Gruden was a fluid situation.

While anything is possible, I don't see Helfrich coming to Tennessee, I would be in favor of the move however

Helfrich has to repair his image... He won 34 games as head coach... Knock on Chip is that he didn't have balls to come to the SEC... Helfrich could do himself big repair if he came as OC in the SEC with JG and did well.... Also, if Butch did bolt and our offense did well under Helfrich, I wouldn't mind him taking over as coach... Especially with the easier recruiting for us over Oregon and him actually having a defensive coordinator worth something.

Helfrich has to repair his image... He won 34 games as head coach... Knock on Chip is that he didn't have balls to come to the SEC... Helfrich could do himself big repair if he came as OC in the SEC with JG and did well.... Also, if Butch did bolt and our offense did well under Helfrich, I wouldn't mind him taking over as coach... Especially with the easier recruiting for us over Oregon and him actually having a defensive coordinator worth something.

Helfrich would be great here as an OC and a disaster to takeover as head coach. He's already proven he can't hang in a weaker conference. He's suddenly going to figure it all out in the SEC as a head coach? I don't buy it.

VN Store

Back