BasketVols in the NBA

There was the bubble Game 7 between OKC and Houston a few years ago. Harden couldn't hit a shot to save his life, so he had to D up or go home.

Then, he shockingly started playing hard fundamental defense in the second half and had the series winning defensive play. He can do it, or at least he could in the past. He just wouldn't most games.

I guess that makes it more maddening though.

One year in the playoffs Aldridge was killing the Rockets and they put Harden on him and he did a great job.

Reactions: Rifleman
First of all, ZZ is defending SEC guards and would get absolutely cooked by guys like Jalen Brunson.

The difference between ZZ and all of them is they are offensive-minded players and ZZ tries his hardest on D. Harden only tries when he absolutely has to, but when he has to he's much better than Trae. Trae can't stop anybody. Luka and Harden can at least hold their ground and close up passing lanes with their length, and they are good defensive rebounders.

I will say Trae is working harder on D these days, but at the end of the day, he's still little and weak, and doesn't put forth much effort.
Brunson would get his because he’s a great player but zz wouldn’t get cooked. ZZ is the best athlete of the four. If he were 6’3” he’d have been a lottery pick a year or maybe 2 years ago.

Brunson would get his because he’s a great player but zz wouldn’t get cooked. ZZ is the best athlete of the four. If he were 6’3” he’d have been a lottery pick a year or maybe 2 years ago.
If he were 6'3", his game might be totally different. My goodness, did you just say ZZ was a better athlete than Jalen Brunson?

If he were 6'3", his game might be totally different. My goodness, did you just say ZZ was a better athlete than Jalen Brunson?
No, he said he was a better athlete than Luka, Harden, or Trae Young which is also surprising. I might could see saying he was quicker but I don’t know about him clearly being a better athlete than them

Reactions: Rockytop10nessee
No, he said he was a better athlete than Luka, Harden, or Trae Young which is also surprising. I might could see saying he was quicker but I don’t know about him clearly being a better athlete than them
Yeah. And I don’t personally associate the word athletic with any of those guys. To me, they are all high skill players with average to below average NBA athleticism.

Harden being somewhat of an exception when he was younger.

Reactions: Lankykong
Yeah. And I don’t personally associate the word athletic with any of those guys. To me, they are all high skill players with average to below average NBA athleticism.

Harden being somewhat of an exception when he was younger.
True. I was kinda thinking about young Harden

I don't think you understand the NBA.

He's not 6' 3". I know we love ZZ but let's deal in reality.

Reactions: knoxvol52

I think they mean raw athleticism but not even sure what the point is anymore. Why are we even talking about athleticism?

The point is Trae can't give you what Luka and Harden can give you on D. Size in the NBA matters way too much. This is precisely why ZZ won't make the NBA and the guy saying a 6' 3" ZZ is a lottery pick proves my point.

The days of Spud Webb and Muggsy Bogues are over.

If a player isn't 6'3" or above it's not going to work out.

I think Mugsy Bogues worked then for two big reasons:

1 - guards were generally not as big and generally weren't tasked with scoring, so the league wasn't filled with guys like De'Aaron Fox.

2 - little guards like Bogues are great for beating traps and the full-court and half-court press....nobody traps anymore because you give up an open 3, so what good is the ability to beat traps?

I think the latter is one of the most misunderstood things about the NBA. The Pippen + Jordan trap was probably the biggest reason the Bulls won 6 titles. It was devastating incrunch time. They couldn't even run it anymore.

I think Mugsy Bogues worked then for two big reasons:

1 - guards were generally not as big and generally weren't tasked with scoring, so the league wasn't filled with guys like De'Aaron Fox.

2 - little guards like Bogues are great for beating traps and the full-court and half-court press....nobody traps anymore because you give up an open 3, so what good is the ability to beat traps?

I think the latter is one of the most misunderstood things about the NBA. The Pippen + Jordan trap was probably the biggest reason the Bulls won 6 titles. It was devastating incrunch time. They couldn't even run it anymore.
I also believe that Allen Iverson would have a really hard time playing now with all the length at Guard position in NBA.

I think they mean raw athleticism but not even sure what the point is anymore. Why are we even talking about athleticism?

The point is Trae can't give you what Luka and Harden can give you on D. Size in the NBA matters way too much. This is precisely why ZZ won't make the NBA and the guy saying a 6' 3" ZZ is a lottery pick proves my point.
I’m not arguing. My point about athleticism was that ZZ would be a better defender in the nba than the guys i mentioned because he’s quicker laterally (thus the mention of athleticism).. he’d get beat some due to size but he wouldn’t be terrible. that’s all.

I’m not arguing. My point about athleticism was that ZZ would be a better defender in the nba than the guys i mentioned because he’s quicker laterally (thus the mention of athleticism).. he’d get beat some due to size but he wouldn’t be terrible. that’s all.

There is a ton more to NBA defense than just lateral quickness, and the fact that literally any guard in the league can just shoot over the top of ZZ makes him a complete liability. There are 100 guards in the NBA who have the lateral quickness to stay in front of Brunson but they can't do it because he has the body and skill to put you on his hip and there is little you can do at 6' 3" to contend the upcoming shot/layup, let alone somebody ZZ's size. ZZ can do his thing because there is help all around him. The NBA is spread out and a completely different game than SEC basketball.

Luka isn't payed to play Defense, That's why they traded for P.J. Washington and Daniel Gafford at Trade Deadline.

Um... the irony here from Mr "punch-my-own-teammates & kick-anyone-in-the-balls & start-a- fight-anytime-anywhere" ...

Yeah, a little hypocritical from Draymond, but it’s not like he’s the only one saying this. Feel like every other day I’m seeing someone complaining about Grant these days or Grant getting in a scuffle lol.

I said it earlier that GW is a helluva competitor, but he has to somehow cool his jets and kill this reputation he has or he will be traded again I’m afraid and no one will pick him up. I absolutely love this guy and follow all his games, but Grant…please lead by example.

VN Store

Back