BasketVols in the NBA

There is a ton more to NBA defense than just lateral quickness, and the fact that literally any guard in the league can just shoot over the top of ZZ makes him a complete liability. There are 100 guards in the NBA who have the lateral quickness to stay in front of Brunson but they can't do it because he has the body and skill to put you on his hip and there is little you can do at 6' 3" to contend the upcoming shot/layup, let alone somebody ZZ's size. ZZ can do his thing because there is help all around him. The NBA is spread out and a completely different game than SEC basketball.
Yes I’m aware of all of that. Pretty elementary stuff if you know basketball. But you’re talking about arguably the best on ball defender in all of college basketball. I don’t care if he’s 2’4”, he’s a better defender than the guys I initially mentioned. Guys would shoot over him, but he’s also gonna pick quite a few pockets before the guy he’s defending gets to his spots. And despite his length, he’s really good at getting in passing lanes. Moot point because he’ll never play in the NBA, but this was just a hypothetical to begin with, so it’s whatever haha.

Yeah, a little hypocritical from Draymond, but it’s not like he’s the only one saying this. Feel like every other day I’m seeing someone complaining about Grant these days or Grant getting in a scuffle lol.
A little?! If Draymond green didn’t play in the nba, he’d be in jail 😂 Grant gets under people’s skin, but I haven’t ever seen him assault anyone or intentionally kick another player in the nuts (which is the most pvssy move ever).

Maybe grant needs to chill a little, but Draymond needs to stfu and get some counseling. It’s like Judas calling me disloyal. “Okay, I slept around on my girl, but you got Jesus Christ killed, my guy.”

Yes I’m aware of all of that. Pretty elementary stuff if you know basketball. But you’re talking about arguably the best on ball defender in all of college basketball. I don’t care if he’s 2’4”, he’s a better defender than the guys I initially mentioned. Guys would shoot over him, but he’s also gonna pick quite a few pockets before the guy he’s defending gets to his spots. And despite his length, he’s really good at getting in passing lanes. Moot point because he’ll never play in the NBA, but this was just a hypothetical to begin with, so it’s whatever haha.

Why is that? If you can handle the ball a little, shoot 3's OK, and defend NBA players well, then you can make the NBA. ZZ can definitely do the first two.

He’s a more talented Draymond green. Maybe not the defender, but grant has more offensive talent in his sac than Draymond has in his whole body.

Draymond is a very good playmaker. One of the best in the NBA at his position.

Grant's offensive game is basically shoot 3's and he can make plays out of the high post against the zone. Other than that, he's not doing much.

Lots to criticize about Draymond but he's going to the HOF and it's deserved.

Why is that? If you can handle the ball a little, shoot 3's OK, and defend NBA players well, then you can make the NBA. ZZ can definitely do the first two.
his height is a bigger issue on the offensive side of the court. He’d be able to defend better than he’d be able to create his own shot. He already drives to the lane with no intention of shooting it 80% of the time in college, he’s 0 threat to penetrate in the nba. You can’t create space if you’re a point guard and are no threat to attack the rim at all.

Draymond is a very good playmaker. One of the best in the NBA at his position.

Grant's offensive game is basically shoot 3's and he can make plays out of the high post against the zone. Other than that, he's not doing much.

Lots to criticize about Draymond but he's going to the HOF and it's deserved.
Not at all deserved. He the benefactor of playing with 3 of the best shooters in nba history. If he’s drafted somewhere else, we wouldn’t even know his name. Without him they still would’ve won the title they won, but they’d have one extra that he cost them and lebron would have one less title.

Reactions: Chunkyvol12
Not at all deserved. He the benefactor of playing with 3 of the best shooters in nba history. If he’s drafted somewhere else, we wouldn’t even know his name. Without him they still would’ve won the title they won, but they’d have one extra that he cost them and lebron would have one less title.

I agree that his skill set was perfect for that team and it’s unlikely he’d be anywhere close to his current legacy if not for that.

But I disagree with your assessment
that they win 4 championships without him.

And that’s coming from someone that hates Draymond.

Reactions: Lukusw
his height is a bigger issue on the offensive side of the court. He’d be able to defend better than he’d be able to create his own shot. He already drives to the lane with no intention of shooting it 80% of the time in college, he’s 0 threat to penetrate in the nba. You can’t create space if you’re a point guard and are no threat to attack the rim at all.

But there are 200 guys in the NBA who can't get their own shot. That's not a deal breaker.

I agree he's not a hall of famer without GSW but there are maybe no titles without Draymond. They fall apart on both ends of the floor without him. This is not really debatable. Half of Curry's game is off ball action and Draymond is driving the bus when Steph goes off ball. Steph's offensive stats are better across the board with Draymond playing.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Honestly might be the most reasonable interview Draymond's ever given. He's not wrong about a thing, there.

Yeah, I listened to all 3 minutes of the clip and while I dislike Draymond in this specific clip, I can’t disagree. He even complements GW and talks about how nice he is as a person, so he doesn’t understand the fake tough guy act.

It got GW shipped out of Dallas and apparently is also part of the reason Boston had no interest in signing him as a free agent. I just hate that basically one of the only 3 Vols getting real playing time in the NBA is developing this type of reputation.

Hope GW chills out. He’s a good dude. Just be a good dude. Nothing wrong with that!

I agree he's not a hall of famer without GSW but there are maybe no titles without Draymond. They fall apart on both ends of the floor without him. This is not really debatable. Half of Curry's game is off ball action and Draymond is driving the bus when Steph goes off ball. Steph's offensive stats are better across the board with Draymond playing.
If it weren’t him it would’ve been another good defender they’d have kicked up. I argue that part of the better numbers thing curry has to produce more when Draymond plays because kuminga can go get his own buckets.

Obviously this comes from an inherent bias, but objectively accurate. I hate it that Draymond gets HOF talk while still playing. He couldn't have carried a couple of Bernard's jockstraps on his best day. That it took King some years to get in, Draymond doesn't qualify

Nice piece on Jaden Springer in Yahoo sports.

I’m not sure I entirely understand why the trade was made for either side. Springer has played 5 total minutes in 3 games since he’s arrived. He was playing 20+ in the previous 5 games with the 76ers. Kind of a crappy situation for him honestly. He goes to a great team, but a loaded one with no where to play.

Mavericks organization lost respect from me with how they've handled this trade. Trade him fine but pushing this BS narrative after the fact when you have Kyrie on your team.

The organization hasn't done anything to Grant, except for pay him and trade him to a place where he's happier. He just didn't fit in and I don't think it's a BS narrative. I think it's true. Nobody said he's a bad guy or a bad teammate, as far as I'm aware. The anonymous quote was just that he rubbed people the wrong way and that's from a beat reporter who may have got the quote from a trainer, for all we know.

This was a Celtics commentator who said he was a bad locker-room guy.

I blame Grant and Luka. Grant can definitely rub people the wrong way and Luka has a way of burning through assets. Not sure how much blame to assign him for each questionable departure, but Porzingis, Haralabob, Brunson, Carlisle, and now Grant...he's stacking bodies.

The organization hasn't done anything to Grant, except for pay him and trade him to a place where he's happier. He just didn't fit in and I don't think it's a BS narrative. I think it's true. Nobody said he's a bad guy or a bad teammate, as far as I'm aware. The anonymous quote was just that he rubbed people the wrong way and that's from a beat reporter who may have got the quote from a trainer, for all we know.

This was a Celtics commentator who said he was a bad locker-room guy.

I blame Grant and Luka. Grant can definitely rub people the wrong way and Luka has a way of burning through assets. Not sure how much blame to assign him for each questionable departure, but Porzingis, Haralabob, Brunson, Carlisle, and now Grant...he's stacking bodies.
The word immediately after he was traded was that he was "out of shape" and "yapping" too much. I don't really doubt anything about the "yapping" but why even bother with any of it after the trade. Do it and move on. Saying he was out of shape seemed over the line especially with the minutes he's getting in Charlotte. Strikes me as a crap org looking to pass the blame wherever to appease their huge personalities.

The word immediately after he was traded was that he was "out of shape" and "yapping" too much. I don't really doubt anything about the "yapping" but why even bother with any of it after the trade. Do it and move on. Saying he was out of shape seemed over the line especially with the minutes he's getting in Charlotte. Strikes me as a crap org looking to pass the blame wherever to appease their huge personalities.

My point was mostly that we don't know who said any of this. It's not like they made a press release.

VN Store

Back