Biggest surprise from O&W game?

walkenvol

To me, it was the play of Merk as he seemed very serviceable if we need to go to a second QB this season. From reading the spring training reports, I thought he had a lot of talent but still had a long ways to go before he was ready to play. Appears he picking things up more quickly than the media led me to believe.

To me, it was the play of Merk as he seemed very serviceable if we need to go to a second QB this season. From reading the spring training reports, I thought he had a lot of talent but still had a long ways to go before he was ready to play. Appears he picking things up more quickly than the media led me to believe.
It appeared to me he had changed his throwing motion since his HS clips and that bowl game. Maybe just the arm slot. Looked great to this old guy. Quicks surprised me a bit as well. Better chain him down.

He and Moore and what little we saw of Damron sp? All looked the part. Hope 8 is so successful that they all are needed for mop up duty.

It is hard to gauge things like this. Our QBs, and to an extent every player on the field, are having their difficulty levels dialed up and down so the coaches can see what they can do without overwhelming them.

So if, for instance, running our full offense at 100% looks kinda like this airplane cockpit:

1713102032589.png

During the spring game, Nico might be handling a cut-back version that's a bit more like this:

1713102068725.png

And Merk might be protected by a much more limited scheme, sorta like this:

1713102137318.png

And we outsiders just can't know. We don't know how the staff are challenging them.

Really hard to find any valid, verifiable conclusions from a spring scrimmage, unless you're on the inside. But I do like the raw talent that is evident all across the field. We're getting there.

Go Vols!

How talented deep we are at most every position. All the starters except offensive line we could go with right now.

How talented deep we are at most every position. All the starters except offensive line we could go with right now.

Are we talented AND deep in the defensive backfield? We've had depth at the DB position but modest talent, and we've had talent
at DB but not depth--but rarely have we had both.

Moore looked better than Nico and Merk… not to say he will ever play a bunch but it made me feel better about our backup.

DBs, after all that we lost look better and honestly upgraded.
Gibson and McCoy will be the starters. They didn't play much, but were solid when they did. McMurray getting burned was discouraging, but Brazell will burn a lot of DBs, especially 3rd DBs. Jordan Matthews still doesn't look like the light has come on. Conyer looked better. Really wish Beasley hadn't gotten hurt. He's very talented and should be our 4th CB after McMurray if he can catch up mentally.

It is hard to gauge things like this. Our QBs, and to an extent every player on the field, are having their difficulty levels dialed up and down so the coaches can see what they can do without overwhelming them.

So if, for instance, running our full offense at 100% looks kinda like this airplane cockpit:

View attachment 634460

During the spring game, Nico might be handling a cut-back version that's a bit more like this:

View attachment 634461

And Merk might be protected by a much more limited scheme, sorta like this:

View attachment 634462

And we outsiders just can't know. We don't know how the staff are challenging them.

Really hard to find any valid, verifiable conclusions from a spring scrimmage, unless you're on the inside. But I do like the raw talent that is evident all across the field. We're getting there.

Go Vols!

As long as the pilot keeps the aircraft away from the edges of the air (as my flight instructor once told me) after takeoff and until landing, it's a successful flight regardless of the equipment.

If the quarterbacks can execute a scaled-back game plan like we saw yesterday, that is encouraging...because that's Step 1 in making the offense "soar" and do some *really* cool stuff. I was happy to see that QBs 1-3 all looked pretty darn good running through their allotted snaps, which could speak positively with regard to the preparation earlier in the spring practice season as well as them taking the drill seriously. The whole squad appears to be in a good spot heading into the summer and beyond, from the looks of it.

VN Store

Back