BR predicts Vols W-L record

They are two-time SEC East champs because of their pass rush. And I think it's extremely unlikely that they strike gold a third year in a row and have another excellent duo.

We fill the Mizzou role this year, IMO. They're a 7-8 win team.

I hope you're right. I watched their spring game this year and they looked good upfront once again. They're schedule is also one of the easiest in the SEC. They pull Miss St. and Arkansas out of the west. I have them winning 9 games next year.

Reactions: 1 person
We are a 9 win team, IMO, with an upside of 10 if everything goes our way and we start clicking right out of the gate against Oklahoma.

Last edited:
They are dreaming unless the O-line shows major improvement. Giving up FIVE sacks to UTC last year did it for me. Need to replace both tackles and center at the least.

agree the OL needs to get better, but you do realize 2 of the guys on UTC DL are going to get a shot a playing on Sundays...it's not like they were total scrubs.

Missouri is a tough team. They're the two time defending SEC East champs for a reason.
Yes and yes... and I can still give you a very strong case for why they've won the East in spite of being 4th or worse in terms of real, raw talent and depth. Their success has more to do with the failures of other programs. If you want an accurate reflection of their worthiness of "winning" the East last year then look no further than the UGA and Bama games. That is the kind of physical domination they will face 3 times per year once UT and UF get healthy again as programs. IMHO, from a roster stand point, UT is pretty much there.

Pinkel is a very good coach. Their now departed DC is an excellent coach. They have had an extraordinary run of having very few critical injuries. They've had a "peak" of players who had been developed.

However most of the players who made them good enough to take advantage of everyone else's failures in the past two years are gone. In short, they flat out have lost too much production over the past two years at WR, RB, DL, and DB. They have not recruited well enough to just "reload" like everyone seems to think they will do. They have to rebuild.

I think we can beat them next year, but IMO its the second toughest game on our schedule after Alabama.
That's only true if Pinkel is better... ALOT... better than Jones. Strictly looking at their skill players, they return the least production of any team UT faces. BR is right. There is no good reason based on the rosters, experience, and overall talent that this game should be close. UT should beat them soundly.

I feel more comfortable predicting wins over Oklahoma and Georgia than Missouri.
I would say that is more because you are spooked than that you have actually looked at what the return and how things had to "line up" for them to win the East over the past two years.

If UT is truly "on the way back" then Mizzou and USCe begin to fade this fall. When UF gets healthy again, those teams will be non-factors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
They are dreaming unless the O-line shows major improvement. Giving up FIVE sacks to UTC last year did it for me. Need to replace both tackles and center at the least.

If they cannot field at least an average OL in year three then the problem isn't players.

Keep something in the back of your mind. By everything apparent, Jones and the O staff have determined that Kerbyson is their best option at LT. After 3 years of recruiting and development, that is where they are.

They are two-time SEC East champs because of their pass rush. And I think it's extremely unlikely that they strike gold a third year in a row and have another excellent duo.

We fill the Mizzou role this year, IMO. They're a 7-8 win team.

And that only because they play a lame OOC schedule and once again get a good draw from the West.

I'm still trying to convince myself that team# 119 wins in the swamp this year, afterall it has to happen sooner or later doesn't It?

Yes, yes it does!

I think UT has a better chance of losing to Arkansas than either UF or OU. I do not think UT will lose to UGA at home. In fact, I think Richt is poised to have one of those seasons.

I hope you are correct on Richt having one of those seasons.

VN Store

Back