Breakout Player On Defense?

We're loaded at the DE position and the rotation should be managed so that all get lots of snaps and remain fresh until the end of the game.

Since this is about a D player that has a serious breakout season I think we'll see Kyle Phillips show the world what he can really do on the field when he's 100% fully healthy.

KP will show in his 1st real season on the field that he's 1 of the hardest to stop from making impact plays.

It's been a long decade of frustration and the pain of far too many losses my friends.
Finally we have talent across the board, knowledge of how to play their positions and some solid experience even though lots of it is as Juniors.

Get ready ladies and Gents, we're going to see Team 120 seriously work and strive to reach the "Summitt" of college football greatness.

WIN by WIN, working to earn Championships...VFL...GBO!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Hard to vote for a defensive lineman considering how many guys are fighting for spots there. I'm going with TKj. The guy has had 3INTs each of his first two years while playing less than he will this fall. Expecting him to have 5INTs this year.

If you're correct with this, then how are the DE snaps going to be split? If Taylor is blowing up then he has to be playing a lot.

Burnett (played nearly every meaningful DE snaps last 2 seasons)Vereen
Lewis
Phillips
Kongbo
Mixon
Taylor
Butcher

Did I leave anyone out? That's a lot of talent to share those 2 positions.

Kevin Burnett was one my favorite D players back in the day.
He played years in National Football League for the Dallas Cowboys, San Diego Chargers, Miami Dolphins and Oakland Raiders.

Kevin Burnett was one my favorite D players back in the day.
He played years in National Football League for the Dallas Cowboys, San Diego Chargers, Miami Dolphins and Oakland Raiders.

I knew someone was going to call him out on that one :loco: typos fo lyfe

Shy Tuttle if healthy. Also like what I saw last year out of Kirkland. DKJR looks like a future NFL LB IMO.

Lots of good answers ITT.

I'll add to those picking DKJr. Apparently he's done very well this offseason in the strength and conditioning program. We all know how athletic he is and how well he can run, but he's been able to change his body and add some good weight/strength. Remember, he was unable to focus on S&C in Spring/Fall camp prior to the 2015 season due to injury.

Also, Butch has complimented his "photographic memory" multiple times. He is diligent in his film study and a true student of the game. With a year of experience under his belt, he could really ball out this fall.

Dude will be a stud.

Reactions: 2 people
TKJR, Gaulden and Kongbo.

Kirkland has already stated his name. IMO

Corey V. Has always balled out when given the chance.

I hope Kahlil can knock some heads off.

Hard to vote for a defensive lineman considering how many guys are fighting for spots there. I'm going with TKj. The guy has had 3INTs each of his first two years while playing less than he will this fall. Expecting him to have 5INTs this year.

Should've had 4 picks last year...still don't know how he dropped that one in endzone against Georgia

Reactions: 1 person
Berry at safety... I think teams know what he can do with the ball in his hands, so he may help shut down an entire side of the field along with Sutton

Kirkland Jr. Second year in the program and JRM coming back will take a lot of the focus off of him. He has great speed and coverage from sideline to sideline.

DKjr, without question IMO. Unless you already count him as "breaking out", then I would go with Martin

If you're correct with this, then how are the DE snaps going to be split? If Taylor is blowing up then he has to be playing a lot.

Barnett (played nearly every meaningful DE snaps last 2 seasons)
Vereen
Lewis
Phillips
Kongbo
Mixon
Taylor
Butcher

Did I leave anyone out? That's a lot of talent to share those 2 positions.

edited to correct spelling that was so offensive to some.

Austin Smith may factor into that DE rotation, as well. You figure some injuries will sort out that rotation, but we definitely have quality depth there.

I think Kirkland is going to have a monster year and take over as the QB of the defense, and as a result frees up JRM to go full on BEAST MODE ! I'm talking 100+ tackles, 10+ sacks, first team All-American consideration ! GBO

I'm hoping the Alexis Johnson "breaks outta" that false imprisonment charge by fall camp. At least justly of course. We could really use him this season along with a recovering Tuttle. That front would be stacked and deep right along with the other 2 defensive levels.
K0012945037--886192.JPG

Reactions: 3 people
It's so freaking nice to have such a hard time making a decision on this topic. One name not mentioned yet in the thread is Quarte Sapp... By the end of the year he will be on everyone's radar regarding break out season. I know it's a year early to name him on this list, but Sapp, Austin Smith, Taylor, Osborne, Griffin...will all be on this list come this time next year.... I do have a question regarding Shoop's STAR position. Will someone take on this question for me. Does the STAR position change depending on what package we put on the field. So if we're in the nickel, does that mean someone else at a different position takes on The STAR label?... My first understanding of the STAR was the new hybrid Safety /LB who was versatile in the box, could blitz, cover, and create havoc...am I just way off? Any help would be appreciated and lastly, who on defense takes on. This STAR role in Shoop's schemes??

Sapp was going to be my pick. Beyond him I think Foreman could have a huge year. He had his hands on so many football last year. Think he & TK Jr are going to get a lot of INTs this year. I still think Tyler Byrd ends on on defense but thats just me. Its going to be hard to keep him off the field either way.

VN Store

Back