Breakout Player On Defense?

Lots I hope - Phillips, Austin Smith, McKenzie, Sapp, McDowell, Martin, Abernathy, Gaulden are all possibilities

Darrin Kirkland has already broken out IMO

hard decision.

maybe better asked, what position group would you like to see a break out player from?

i think we're stacked in the secondary. i think we're solid at LB. were solid at DE.

so if i'm looking for someone to break out...i think i'd hope it to be one of those rotational DT's or an OLB. don't care which one. but if we're as solid as we think we are at the other spots....those are the only two areas where we have real questions.

Reactions: 1 person
I'd rather not see a safety making 80 stops in a season, linebackers yes, safties no. 8 interceptions would be great.

12 games comes out to a little over 6 tackles a game. Not to mention our safeties are in the box half the time.

70 snaps a game. 6 tackles is good activity

If hes making TD saving tackles like you might be insi.uating then he sure as hell isnt getting 8 ints.

Sapp was going to be my pick. Beyond him I think Foreman could have a huge year. He had his hands on so many football last year. Think he & TK Jr are going to get a lot of INTs this year. I still think Tyler Byrd ends on on defense but thats just me. Its going to be hard to keep him off the field either way.

He might be our best WR day one.

If you're correct with this, then how are the DE snaps going to be split? If Taylor is blowing up then he has to be playing a lot.

Barnett (played nearly every meaningful DE snaps last 2 seasons)
Vereen
Lewis
Phillips
Kongbo
Mixon
Taylor
Butcher

Did I leave anyone out? That's a lot of talent to share those 2 positions.

edited to correct spelling that was so offensive to some.

This is my favorite Volnation problem EVER!!:rock:

I hoping JRM turns a corner this year. Its about time he started contributing. I think this just might be his year.

Evan Berry needs to play more on defense - I know he is a great returner, but after seeing all the NFL kickoff changes and CP getting cut loose after this season in Minnesota - he needs to have a position other than just KR if he is going to play in the NFL

Evan Berry needs to play more on defense - I know he is a great returner, but after seeing all the NFL kickoff changes and CP getting cut loose after this season in Minnesota - he needs to have a position other than just KR if he is going to play in the NFL

He's just not good enough compared to the players ahead of him in the secondary. He's probably going to be 3 deep at one of the safety positions.

There's just too much talent in our secondary for him to make the field much. He just needs to stick with his return duties because he is great at that part of the game.

He's just not good enough compared to the players ahead of him in the secondary. He's probably going to be 3 deep at one of the safety positions.

There's just too much talent in our secondary for him to make the field much. He just needs to stick with his return duties because he is great at that part of the game.

Evan Berry is the most talented safety we have. He is right behind Gaulden without even being able to practice this spring.

He was not going to take Randolphs spot. TK couldnt even fully tale McNiels spot as good as he played.

Evan is right there...

I'd rather not see a safety making 80 stops in a season, linebackers yes, safties no. 8 interceptions would be great.

I was just about to say the exact same thing. 60 tackles is usually the magic number. Anything above that is usually a bad sign for the front 7.

Evan Berry is the most talented safety we have. He is right behind Gaulden without even being able to practice this spring.

He was not going to take Randolphs spot. TK couldnt even fully tale McNiels spot as good as he played.

Evan is right there...

Evan is by far NOT the most talented safety we have on the team. Evan is a freak athlete and maybe the best athlete we have but not safety. I know it's way too early but I like Warrior over Berry at Safety.

Evan is by far NOT the most talented safety we have on the team. Evan is a freak athlete and maybe the best athlete we have but not safety. I know it's way too early but I like Warrior over Berry at Safety.

By FAR??

Please explain. You just said hes a freak, yet he is BY FAR not the most talented safety.

Watch the last play of the bowl game and say that again.

By FAR??

Please explain. You just said hes a freak, yet he is BY FAR not the most talented safety.

Watch the last play of the bowl game and say that again.

There is a big difference between an athletic freak and a top notch safety. The fact you're saying this shows your Football IQ. Not even going to get started here as I can see it would be a waste. For example, Cordarelle Patterson was an athletic freak but an average receiver. Yes it's offense vs defense but still a good UT example.
Secondly, the outback bowl pick was nice but it was a tipped ball that landed right in his hands. 90% of the guys he outran where offensive linemen. Trust me I loved the play especially since I was there.

Evan is right there...

I told you that Evan Berry wasn't what you were making him out to be as a safety. Others have said the same thing now about him. Does this change your mind on how you feel about him at all now buddy? :eek:

I told you that Evan Berry wasn't what you were making him out to be as a safety. Others have said the same thing now about him. Does this change your mind on how you feel about him at all now buddy? :eek:

You told me that a few months ago. The season still hasnt started yet since our last discusssion.

There is a big difference between an athletic freak and a top notch safety. The fact you're saying this shows your Football IQ. Not even going to get started here as I can see it would be a waste. For example, Cordarelle Patterson was an athletic freak but an average receiver. Yes it's offense vs defense but still a good UT example.
Secondly, the outback bowl pick was nice but it was a tipped ball that landed right in his hands. 90% of the guys he outran where offensive linemen. Trust me I loved the play especially since I was there.

There is no difference. So... a top notch safety doesnt have to posses great athletic ability??

And please refrain from insults if you can. I asked you a question, I made no designation about you personally...

There is no difference. So... a top notch safety doesnt have to posses great athletic ability??

And please refrain from insults if you can. I asked you a question, I made no designation about you personally...

This isn't a variation of your Maliek Gray could be our future at running back, schtick? :unsure:

Warrior, a highly talented legacy, who has never played a snap in the SEC, you take over a proven All American legacy, who is entering his junior year on The Hill, do I have that correct?

This isn't a variation of your Maliek Gray could be our future at running back, schtick? :unsure:

Maliek was a phenom at RB. Before he went to LeVergne.

And now hes top 100 player.
I guess Butch knows what hes doing 😉

VN Store

Back