Brent Hubbs discusses Brandon Johnson

As a Braves fan, his dad was maddening! Quality old style defensive catcher and annoyingly opportunistic at the plate! And that last strike that Livian Hernandez threw outside? So far that CJ had to hail a cab to catch, but Eric Gregg punched him out anyway? Good catch.
Charles would tell you he knew after the first inning to keep everything away because the ump was calling it..He told me that the last pitch of the game was so outside that he thought it was a ball he saw Livan and the fans reations that's when he figured the game was over..lol

Reactions: 4 people
Charles would tell you he knew after the first inning to keep everything away because the ump was calling it..He told me that the last pitch of the game was so outside that he thought it was a ball he saw Livan and the fans reations that's when he figured the game was over..lol

We all knew. :lol: Thanks for the recounting. :hi:

His pass deep over the middle against UGa when things looked like they had turned for the worse, must have upset you pretty bad.

Who was he throwing it to? I know Josh Smith caught it, but have we determined if he was the target or if it was Von like 7 yards deeper?

Reactions: 1 person
Cue Dobbs4heisman in 3,2,1....

His pass deep over the middle against UGa when things looked like they had turned for the worse, must have upset you pretty bad.

Yeah, that was not a good pass. That's what I call desperation. There were 5 Georgia defenders around Josh Smith and he had to make a great catch in traffic

Reactions: 4 people
I liked him just because he was Charles Johnson's son. I remember the stories about his dad's dad making Charles block pitches from very close without a mitt or catcher's gear.

That kind of toughness tends to get passed on.

So...if you're Charles's brother, and Chad is his cousin...does that make you Chad's dad (and if so...what kinda athlete were you)? Or is there another sibling?

I don't think so. He is Charles Johnson's son though.

He is 100% Chad Johnson's cousin. Ocho Cinco tweeted out a few months ago that his cuz Brandon Johnson (our WR) was gonna be a good one for us, and that he had PERSONALLY been training with him on the field.

Last edited:
So...if you're Charles's brother, and Chad is his cousin...does that make you Chad's dad (and if so...what kinda athlete were you)? Or is there another sibling?

Alright chad is related to Brandon mother..Even though chad is a Johnson, he is no relation to me and Charles...Chad is Brandon 1st cousin on Mom side...I played baseball never played football..Brandon is the only one to play football in the immediate family

Reactions: 10 people
John Brice, recently on 104.5 the zone in Nash, said Byrd was the most impressive incoming freshman by far, and had enough athletic ability to start as a true freshman somewhere either on defense or offense (and he's being used as a WR obviously).

These are obviously good things to hear about Johnson and Byrd.

OK. Hopefully those two are neck and neck in freshman awesomeness!

But, my question is, where are these reporters watching them "play" in July? Are they stalking the QBs & WRs doing off season routes? Are there 7:7s where reporters can go watch? Anyone know?

Dang, I'll go watch if I can wonder in to ATC or something and see that.

Alright chad is related to Brandon mother..Even though chad is a Johnson, he is no relation to me and Charles...Chad is Brandon 1st cousin on Mom side...I played baseball never played football..Brandon is the only one to play football in the immediate family

Thank you. That may have saved 15 pages of discussion on VN needed to figure it out. :birgits_giggle:

Thanks for joining VN. Glad to have your insight.

Reactions: 2 people

Oh man that's awesome

Reactions: 3 people
Still with how many WR's we took last class surprised they put Byrd at WR. I'd much rather see him in the secondary.

We have J. George, Johnson, Callaway, and who else?

Those are 3 solid options right there

Still with how many WR's we took last class surprised they put Byrd at WR. I'd much rather see him in the secondary.

We're thin with returning, experienced WRs. Only Malone, Smith, Jennings and PWill return. And since Z and Jones wanna rotate approximately 312 WRs, they evidently felt Byrd was needed at WR since he might be the most physically ready freshman to step in and help. However, looks like Brandon may be ready as well. I'm not too sure about Williams and George physically at this point and I haven't heard much about Callaway. Plus, it's rare for freshmen WRs to step in and be productive in this or any other SEC offense....look at JJ last year....they talked like he was the #1 WR coming out of fall camp, and he wound up catching 15 balls for the season.

Also, I think we're in good shape at DB, especially at safety, so that's why I heard they made the decision to move Byrd.

Reactions: 3 people

hook.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

Like many other coaches, Jones has a tendency to put 2 way players on offense if they're phenom athletes.

Reactions: 1 person
Am I wrong? Butch is good at finding talent .....just like most college coaches. Some of you guys act like he's the only one capable of discovering underrated players.

Many posters on this board still do not recognize that CBJ is good at finding talent. Just read the posts about too many 3 *s recruits this year.

VN Store

Back