Bring Back Pearl!!!

Go look at Pearls first three years. Go look at his last four. He's slipped.

Besides it will never happen.

What we have done so far has not produced outstanding results either. Sometime you just have to take a chance.

No. Why do some of you have such a hard time seeing how much more difficult the men's game is compared to the women's game. Some of you are so brain washed by what Pat Summit did here you are willing to turn over the men's basketball program to her son who has been a women's coach for 1 year. That's about the dumbest damn thing I've heard posted on this page.

Reactions: 1 person

He's slipped? I'm not really sure, but the team I saw this year for Auburn was a team COMPLETELY barren of all talent this year. They were terrible, yet he still brought them to the conference tournament semifinals and knocking off 2 NCAA tournament caliber teams en route to that Kentucky semifinal. I agree that we shouldn't really even discuss the possibility of Bruce returning in the near future because it won't happen, and I am content with Donnie and his performance this year. But come on the Bruce hasn't slipped, he overachieved with an AWFUL team this year and is still a top 5 coach in the SEC easily.

He's slipped? I'm not really sure, but the team I saw this year for Auburn was a team COMPLETELY barren of all talent this year. They were terrible, yet he still brought them to the conference tournament semifinals and knocking off 2 NCAA tournament caliber teams en route to that Kentucky semifinal. I agree that we shouldn't really even discuss the possibility of Bruce returning in the near future because it won't happen, and I am content with Donnie and his performance this year. But come on the Bruce hasn't slipped, he overachieved with an AWFUL team this year and is still a top 5 coach in the SEC easily.

If you believe Auburn had no talent your don't know s----- abut hoops. He lost 20 games period.

If you believe Auburn had no talent your don't know s----- abut hoops. He lost 20 games period.

Are you kidding? Apart from KT Harrell, this team was composed of Tony Barbee leftover 2 stars, and transfers from Niagara University and Chipola College. They were atrocious on defense and at an athletic disadvantage in almost every game they played, yet Bruce improved throughout the year and had them finishing in the top 3rd of the conference in the tournament. Not to mention that he got this team their first conference tournament win in 5 years. I do not care how you slice it, I know Bruce is not coming back. And I think Donnie has the potential to be as good, if not a better coach. But you cannot tell me that he is not a great coach. That's ridiculous.

While I do believe Pearl will bring some wins to Auburn and will have them an NCAAT caliber team eventually, they were picked to finish 8th in the SEC. We were picked 13th and the general consensus here was that it was a given they'd finish better than us. There were some "overzealous" types who claimed Pearl would take them to the NCAAT his first year and not many took that seriously; but at the same time, the overwhelming consensus was also that Pearl would take the team to the NIT and acted like it was a given.

Pearl most certainly didn't overachieve this season, if anything he slightly underachieved. There's a lot of backtracking going on about what was expected this year. Before the season it was Pearl was so great he'd make them at least an NIT team, and when it turns out they suck, suddenly he had nothing to work with. I'd argue he had more to work with than Tyndall did, and Tyndall did a better job.

I'm confused. Are you talking about his last 4 years at Tennessee???

In 2010 (Pearl's next to last year at Tennessee), the Vols defeated #1 Kansas and #2 Kentucky, and advanced to the Elite 8 for the first and only time in school history.

But, maybe you are referring his last 4 years which included 3 years when he wasn't coaching plus a 1 year stint at Auburn.

While I do believe Pearl will bring some wins to Auburn and will have them an NCAAT caliber team eventually, they were picked to finish 8th in the SEC. We were picked 13th and the general consensus here was that it was a given they'd finish better than us. There were some "overzealous" types who claimed Pearl would take them to the NCAAT his first year and not many took that seriously; but at the same time, the overwhelming consensus was also that Pearl would take the team to the NIT and acted like it was a given.

Pearl most certainly didn't overachieve this season, if anything he slightly underachieved. There's a lot of backtracking going on about what was expected this year. Before the season it was Pearl was so great he'd make them at least an NIT team, and when it turns out they suck, suddenly he had nothing to work with. I'd argue he had more to work with than Tyndall did, and Tyndall did a better job.

This is true, but that's also the case with any big name coach coming into a program in year 1. There is ALWAYS an overreaction over these big name coaches, and expectations are always too high for them. I remember in Roy Williams first year at UNC, all of the so called ESPN "experts" were predicting immediate results and an Elite Eight performance out of Roy his first year down there and then all hell broke loose when he didn't even advance past the first round. Obviously, these were different circumstances, but Auburn and UNC are also completely different programs. My point is that the "experts" always overreact about big name coaches, and seem to forget that you need actual players to win games also.

If I am going to have to deal with recruiting violations I would rather deal with it if pearl was the coach. He has our hearts and always will. I think he is the most beloved men's basketball coach all time at Tennessee. I know the ship has sailed so to speak but, I would give both my left feet to get him back. The basketball is going threw about the same stuff football was. Its been a dark few years in the history of Tennessee.

Doubt it that Pearl was most beloved coach ever...think that was Coach Ray Mears...

Reactions: 4 people
If you didn't see Ron Hunter's speech after the loss yesterday it was moving and the guy has character. He's going to get some calls very soon.

Just because his mom could coach the women's game doesn't mean he can coach the men's game. He would need to land a men's job and prove himself before landing a job such as Tennessee. You don't just give him the keys to the building, there isn't even a tad bit of evidence that he would be successful at this level much less the men's game.

I think the word Tad is a good way start the conversation about Tyler Summit

bama dave is on my shizzle list,,,,moran went and hired CDT and his ncaa issues, if tindle is gone, that little crimson midget should pack his crap too....all the teams on the Hill plainly suck except womens BB & softball,,,,yea 7-6 in FB sucks, what has he done to improve the programs? Butch fell in his lap because others laughed at us

time to clean house and get people who LOVE UT and not a paycheck to run the AD

I'd love to see UT hire either Fulmer of Holloway as the AD!!! Either one would do an amazing job. The Fulmer hire would heal the rift that still exists in the ut family, and Holloway hire would be just plain great. He's been in the administration for a long time. He knows what needs to be done.

VN Store

Back