Bruce Pearl & Candace Parker

Pearl gave the program a big boost while he was here and I think he still loves this place. I want to beat him when we play Auburn, but have zero bad will toward him. Candace is a smoke show and does a great job as a commentator on set. She’s a natural and knows the game. She’ll make a bunch of money as a TV sports personality going forward.

When they had her on TNT she made Shaq and Chuck look clueless. It was awesome.

We wouldn’t be where we are today without pearl but at the same time pearl dug his own grave. I’m still grateful for him

I would absolutely have him back. He did lie about a picnic that included junior instead if senior recruits. To the NCAA. Because of arbitrary rules set by the NCAA. I would imagine that there are few defenders of the NCAA and their method of rule enforcement around here. The man bleeds orange and has turned two separate mothballed SEC programs into legitimate contenders. You just don’t do that if you aren’t a fantastic coach, and his kids give their all for him.

I want Barnes to retire a Vol when he is ready, and then I want Pearl to come back and retire as a Vol thereafter. Flame away, I don’t care.

He was lying about having a picnic. It was stupid to lie over something so trivial.
Not even close. He had a recruit, who had committed to UT, at the cookout at his house. The recruit was a junior in high school and was not allowed to be anywhere but the campus on his visit because he was not a senior.
Someone took a picture of the recruit with Pearl's wife, at his house, and that picture was seen by the coach at Ohio State who sent it to the NCAA. The rest is history as Pearl said the recruit was not at the cookout, but the NCAA had the picture and had him on the hook. This all happened because someone took a picture, and it became the smoking gun that started the lie.

The player in question committed to Ohio State after the dust up.

I think that Lane Kiffin set the tone and Pearl got caught up in the backlash. After Kiffin got the NCAA sniffing around UT, the climate in the athletic department was zero tolerance. Pearl’s contract reflected the no nonsense allowed theme as far as NCAA compliance. Then he panicked after what should have been a minor recruiting issue and he lied even more to attempt to avoid his own firing with cause. So imo Kiffin cost TN the services of Bruce Pearl as the HBBC.
hilarious

NO. That post game show was amazing and deserved every mention. Screw the haters.
the post game showed the sports world that Pearl has a heart. he simply used bad judgement, was caught and paid for it. case closed. as one poster said, UT is fortunate to have had both he and barnes here.

Reactions: 007Racer
Pearl himself I have nothing against. His son is a douchebag, but that's not really on Bruce.

But the Pearl slurpers who put him above the program and bashed Barnes using him, can go pound sand and pound it over and over.

Also I've said this and stay firm, if he had gone to a non-SEC team besides Memphis I would root for him. But he went to an SEC team. So I hope loses every time.

Can you blame him? Also he went to a bottom dweller program in the SEC and has turned it around. I don't hate the guy at all. But i do have a soft spot for him. But I also think he has changed in his older years and I don't think he was putting on some show with his comments on Tennessee last night with Candace Parker. Barnes deserves 100000% of the credit for his time here.

Pearl, in another era, showed Tennessee what the program could be. Both did great jobs in their own ways. Barnes has elevated this program to new highs.

The easiest way I can put it is that Pearl's E8 year was pure emotions because of the issues with the roster mid season.

This year, everyone has had the feeling this was a Final Four caliber team. Even Barnes knows it with his animation on the sidelines this year compared to previous seasons.

Both runs were fun and great. But this one feels very different because we know we belong. Bruce's E8 run was more overcoming adversity. I'm grateful for both.

Reactions: TheMookieMonster
Bruce didn't have a contract at the time, he was working under a MOU. As much as I dislike LK he had zero to do with Pearl's firing.

TN was under NCAA investigation in both football AND basketball. Football was first and established the climate that involved basketball. Kiffin’s deeds brought the NCAA to campus.

This is language from the contract that Pearl had just before the 2010-11 basketball season:

Article XV of Pearl's contract, section F.1., details how Pearl can be terminated for adequate cause. Section (ii) states: "a finding by the NCAA Committee on Infractions or, if appealed, the NCAA Infractions Appeals Committee that Coach Pearl has knowingly engaged in or condoned significant or repetitive violation(s) of NCAA regulations, provided that the University gives notice of termination within (60) days of such a finding."

Section (iii): "acts by Coach Pearl that he knew, or should have known, constituted a prohibited conflict of interests under applicable University policy or state law, provided that the University gives notice of termination within sixty (60) days of its good faith substantiation that Coach Pearl has engaged in such an act."

TN was under NCAA investigation in both football AND basketball. Football was first and established the climate that involved basketball. Kiffin’s deeds brought the NCAA to campus.

This is language from the contract that Pearl had just before the 2010-11 basketball season:

Article XV of Pearl's contract, section F.1., details how Pearl can be terminated for adequate cause. Section (ii) states: "a finding by the NCAA Committee on Infractions or, if appealed, the NCAA Infractions Appeals Committee that Coach Pearl has knowingly engaged in or condoned significant or repetitive violation(s) of NCAA regulations, provided that the University gives notice of termination within (60) days of such a finding."

Section (iii): "acts by Coach Pearl that he knew, or should have known, constituted a prohibited conflict of interests under applicable University policy or state law, provided that the University gives notice of termination within sixty (60) days of its good faith substantiation that Coach Pearl has engaged in such an act."
Ok. What's your point? This contract had been voided and Pearl worked under a MOU during the 2010-11 season.

This appears to be standard coaching contract verbiage. Where do you read "zero tolerance"?

You can blame anyone you want to....enable away. Might as well hang Hammy's resignation on LK too.,

Ok. What's your point? This contract had been voided and Pearl worked under a MOU during the 2010-11 season.

This appears to be standard coaching contract verbiage. Where do you read "zero tolerance"?

You can blame anyone you want to....enable away. Might as well hang Hammy's resignation on LK too.,

My point has been that my opinion is that Pearl panicked when he was caught violating another NCAA rule because he understood the hostile environment that was created when Kiffin brought the investigation to Knoxville. It shouldn’t be that complicated to follow along.

Read the language and you should be able to see the zero tolerance analogy.

Pearl panicked while the contract was still in force.

Pearl is not coming back here. Whoever the next coach is at Tennessee, they will be younger. We aren’t hiring a 64 year old coach to replace a 69 year old coach. People love Pearl, I get it, but his time here is over as it should be.

64 years old is too old to restart the program. Kim English could be the first call. If Barnes has influence Schwartz, Oliver, and Lanier would be considered.

These are VERY good points. Plus, the program is a proven Top-10 program now…we should have plenty of interest.

Pearl is an all time great Vol and a Vol for life. Parker is a beautiful human being and one of the best Vols of all time. We are lucky to have them both as Vols. Bruce will always be a Vol in my mind.

These are VERY good points. Plus, the program is a proven Top-10 program now…we should have plenty of interest.

It’s amazing how much more appealing head coaching jobs are when good coaches aren’t being fired to create the position.

Reactions: EZE
64 years old is too old to restart the program. Kim English could be the first call. If Barnes has influence Schwartz, Oliver, and Lanier would be considered.

I think if Kim English has providence rolling, he’s getting the job regardless.

Outside of being able to take the money we are paying Barnes now and being able to get someone like Scott Drew to leave Baylor, I think Barnes is gonna have some say and it’s gonna be English. Ideally we see him getting Providence to NCAAT consistently

I think if Kim English has providence rolling, he’s getting the job regardless.

Outside of being able to take the money we are paying Barnes now and being able to get someone like Scott Drew to leave Baylor, I think Barnes is gonna have some say and it’s gonna be English. Ideally we see him getting Providence to NCAAT consistently

Which other jobs are open might be the biggest factor of all.

Which other jobs are open might be the biggest factor of all.

My personal opinion is that we swing for the fences with the same or more money that Barnes is making as a starting point. There are a couple coaches who would command that and would be more accomplished than Barnes was when we hired him.

I would kill to land someone like Scott Drew when Barnes decides it’s time to retire.

You could see that Parker still appreciates Bruce and the support he gave to Summitt and the Lady Vols while he was at UT.

Didn’t realize it till just now but that’s why I think I like him so much. Him being in all Orange body paint to cheer her on subconsciously imprinted in my brain. Everytime I think of him that is the first image I see.

Reactions: 007Racer
I would absolutely have him back. He did lie about a picnic that included junior instead if senior recruits. To the NCAA. Because of arbitrary rules set by the NCAA. I would imagine that there are few defenders of the NCAA and their method of rule enforcement around here. The man bleeds orange and has turned two separate mothballed SEC programs into legitimate contenders. You just don’t do that if you aren’t a fantastic coach, and his kids give their all for him.

I want Barnes to retire a Vol when he is ready, and then I want Pearl to come back and retire as a Vol thereafter. Flame away, I don’t care.
Wouldnt hurt my feelings either.

I don't understand the hate toward Pearl...he just messed up having a bar-b-que. Both Tennessee and Pearl have moved on and learned from it.

There’s not that much “hate”. Many have simply had their fill and are tired of his name constantly being brought back into EVERY discussion surrounding CRB and the success that the program is having. Some hate his lack of character and how it directly lead to bringing down our program. Most everybody enjoyed the on court success that he mostly brought.

I don't understand the hate toward Pearl...he just messed up having a bar-b-que. Both Tennessee and Pearl have moved on and learned from it.
Where are you seeing “hate” for him? Can you quote the posts that “hate” on him? Also, he did not just have a bar-b-que and anyone with any knowledge of events knows that’s not true. 🙄

Where are you seeing “hate” for him? Can you quote the posts that “hate” on him? Also, he did not just have a bar-b-que and anyone with any knowledge of events knows that’s not true. 🙄

Pearl fans seem to have this weird idea that there is more hate for Bruce than there actually is because it helps justify their complaints about Barnes in their minds. I imagine less than 5% of our fanbase “hates” Pearl. We just like to focus on the guy who is actually our coach right now, not the past.

VN Store

Back