Bryce Drew

Not my top choice. He took over Valpo at a good time - Butler leaving for the Big East. Last season was rough with a lot of player turnover, but when he assembled his roster, had a very good year this year. I think hes decent, but still would like to see a little more

3 of 4 regular season titles and two conference tournament titles. How much more does he need to prove?

Reactions: 1 person
Shaka and Marshall have also both made the final four. They are not mid major coaches. They are very good coaches and drew would be a good coach.

This whole "no mid-majors" boggles my mind. The 2 "hot" names out there, Shaka and Marshall, are both from Mid-Major schools. Unless you are taking a sitting coach from a the ACC, Big 10, Big 12 etc., they others are all pretty much "mid major" coaches.

They are mid-majors but I'd argue there are tiers of mid-majors. Gonzaga and Memphis (under Cal) are also technically mid-majors but are national programs in their own right. VCU is getting there and if Marshall stays I think WSU can get there too.

All coaches come from mid-majors or they are an assistant at a high major program and learn under a great coach. Or do both.

Pitino - Boston U

K - Army

Roy Williams - assiant under Dean Smith

Self - Oral Roberts and then Tulsa

Billy D - Marshall

The key is finding the hidden gem. Which I don't trust in Hart that he will is my only problem.

This is the typical, "Tennessee can hire anyone they want" mentality. The sooner you people come to grips with the national perception of the Tennessee job and Athletic Department as a whole, the sooner you'll lower your expectations. Archie Miller is our ceiling and Will Wade is our floor. There are A LOT of good basketball coaches in the middle. You just have to identify them and sell them on the potential of the Tennessee job.

Rick Barnes is the ceiling,imo

3 of 4 regular season titles and two conference tournament titles. How much more does he need to prove?

It's being a little nit-picky but I look at all of our candidates in terms of improvement and actual results vs expected results.

He inherited a decent squad in his first season. Didn't really outperform with them..

His next season was very impressive.

The third was a slight disappointment even with the turnover he was dealing with.

This year was another impressive one.

He's obviously has done well relative to others in his conference, I just want to see consistent improvement. Not saying he hasn't improved Valpo since taking over the reigns. But relative to other coaches out there I don't think it's as eye-catching

Last edited:
It's being a little nit-picky but I look at all of our candidates in terms of improvement and actual results vs expected results.

He inherited a decent squad in his first season. Didn't really outperform with them..

His next season was very impressive.

The third was a slight disappointment even with the turnover he was dealing with.

This year was another impressive one.

He's obviously has done well relative to others in his conference, I just want to see consistent improvement. Not saying he hasn't improved Valpo since taking over the reigns. But relative to other coaches out there I don't think it's as eye-catching

How much are you really going to improve Valpo from this? It's freaking Valparaiso. It's as if you're punishing him for coming from a great coaching family.

I would take this hire all day long over a Rick Barnes, Steve Lavin or Rick Stansberry. Jmo

Shaka and Marshall have also both made the final four. They are not mid major coaches. They are very good coaches and drew would be a good coach.

They are, by definition, mid-major coaches. The teams they coach are from mid-major colleges.

They are also very good coaches.

How much are you really going to improve Valpo from this? It's freaking Valparaiso. It's as if you're punishing for coming from a great coaching family.

You can say that about a lot of programs.

I'm talking relative to expectations. Drew is doing a good job, but I don't think it's as eye-catching as some other coaches out there.

We need to stop lumping all mid-major coaches into the same pot.

Mid-majors are just fine, but we need to hire one who has made it to the dance, and proven they can get results over the long term.

Pearl was a mid-major coach, but he also got a team to the tourney and advanced, as well as had a long track record of success.

Martin and Buzz Peterson, also mid-major coaches, who never made the tourney.

You can say that about a lot of programs.

I'm talking relative to expectations. Drew is doing a good job, but I don't think it's as eye-catching as some other coaches out there.

So who are your choices? You probably told me yesterday but that doesn't count, I've slept since then

UT can be a good basketball school, second tier good. We'll never be a Kentucky, Kansas, Duke type school, but there's nothing holding us back from being in the second tier except the AD's commitment to basketball. The facilities and fans are there. We have border states that produce excellent basketball players, and there's usually some good players in Nashville, so the opportunity to recruit is there.

I really have a problem with people saying this can't be a good basketball school. It's all about how seriously the powers that be take it.

UT can be a good basketball school, second tier good. We'll never be a Kentucky, Kansas, Duke type school, but there's nothing holding us back from being in the second tier except the AD's commitment to basketball. The facilities and fans are there. We have border states that produce excellent basketball players, and there's usually some good players in Nashville, so the opportunity to recruit is there.

I really have a problem with people saying this can't be a good basketball school. It's all about how seriously the powers that be take it.

I'm confused why you think Tennessee can't be a Duke, Kentucky or Carolina. Any power conference can do it. Just takes time.

If UT could get Archie Miller, Chris Mack, or Bobby Hurley, in two to three years, I believe they could be a top ten team. The only question with Hurley would be his recruiting ability.

I'm confused why you think Tennessee can't be a Duke, Kentucky or Carolina. Any power conference can do it. Just takes time.

Commitment. Being able to get over the fact that a basketball coach can make more than a football coach. Tradition plays in, too but tradition in something that can be built.

If UT could get Archie Miller, Chris Mack, or Bobby Hurley, in two to three years, I believe they could be a top ten team. The only question with Hurley would be his recruiting ability.

Also another question.. Would he take over for K when he retires at Duke? That more than likely is his "dream" job.

So who are your choices? You probably told me yesterday but that doesn't count, I've slept since then

My top choice was Dan Hurley

Last year I was gung ho on Michael White. I've cooled a little on him - was hoping to see him make the big dance. But I still think he would be a great hire. Holtmann is right there too.

Then among the group I wouldn't be disappointed with: Underwood, Drew, Barnes. I'm on the fence about Barnes because we know what we'll get, and I feel like it's limited upside. But based on the current state of the program, it might not be that bad of a thing in the long run to have him take over for a few years before retiring.

Last edited:
Very high mid majors, Gonzaga used to be mid major, would you still call them that? No.

Mid-major is a term used in American NCAA Division I college sports, especially men's basketball, to refer to athletic conferences that are not among the so-called "Power Five conferences" (the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC, the programs of which are sometimes referred to as "high majors" by comparison)

He would not be at the top of my list which includes Barnes, Lavin, Crean, but he would definitely fall in the next category. I also like the idea of a Rick Byrd or Rick Stansbury, but IMO Drew would be higher than anyone else on the list (Prohm, White, Underwood, etc.) B/c at least he has 4 years as a head man, a great wining Pct. and 2 of 4 NCAA appearances. Not mention a a great coaching lineage and huge recruiting connections as his brother has proven at Baylor. I like it alot, but it just seems like a odd connection.

Be careful of Crean because he has been on his way out at Marquette and now IU before he took other jobs.

VN Store

Back