Butch Jones: ‘We’re on the verge of assembling a top-notch recruiting class’

No he doesn't. 7-5 next year and he will be sent packing.

Lets hope not. If he wins 9 this year, then nothing suggest we take such a big step back. I mean 4 nonconference wins plus ky, vandy, mizzou, and one other game gets you at least 8.

I haven't criticized what he has accomplished at all. I have stated that with 10 arguable #1 recruiting classes ...he has 1 undefeated season and probably another this year. Is he under performing given his recruiting success and the duration of the success ? It seems when there is parity between his teams and the competition that he is a decidedly average coach . I am not making his NFL and MSU records up ...they really happened.

Ill hang up and listen

You realize what conference he plays in? Also, I'm not sure you realize all the factors that go into football. You have to account for injuries, transferring, experience, disciplinary, busts, etc. While he may not go undefeated every season but look at where they are every year and how much talent they can lose and then replenish the next season.

They can lose key players and the next year start players that have virtually NO experience and dominate. Who was Hurts before this year? Blake Sims? That's called player developing and great coaching. Not mention all the depth from all those #1 ranked recruiting classes every year.

So yeah. I'd say Saban is doing a damn good job and probably better than anyone you can name.

Reactions: 2 people
Saban plays in the SEC. Usually the toughest conference from top to bottom. You are making it sound like going undefeated, especially in this day and age where the game is tailored much more to offense, is something thats easy to do. Its not as easy as you think.

Bear Bryant coached 38 years, he had 4 undefeated seasons. Tom Osbourne coached 24 years and only had 3 undefeated seasons. Bobby Bowden coached for 44 years and only had 1 winning season. See the trend here? These guys are considered 3 of the greatest coaches of all time.

I think you are missing the overall point. There is no doubt as to the accomplishments of Saban. What is being debated and measured is wins vs recruiting. Toms classes were an anomaly , he rarely had top shelf recruiting. Bowden had great recruiting , but I don't think he had 9 years of undisputed #1 classes. When you measure Sabans wins proportionally to his recruiting records and compared others using the same objective mathematics and standards ...he is not as good as credited win - loss. He is a brilliant recruiter in any case

Reactions: 1 person
I haven't criticized what he has accomplished at all. I have stated that with 10 arguable #1 recruiting classes ...he has 1 undefeated season and probably another this year. Is he under performing given his recruiting success and the duration of the success ? It seems when there is parity between his teams and the competition that he is a decidedly average coach . I am not making his NFL and MSU records up ...they really happened.

Ill hang up and listen

Apologies if I misunderstood your primary point. I still somewhat disagree but can understand asking the question.

When people say #1 recruiting class it's interpreted as that team having far more talent than anyone else in the country and after 5-6 straight #1 classes it only heightens the perception. And there's no doubt that Alabama is an incredibly talented team and very likely the most talented team in the country.

But look at the current 24/7 2017 class rankings. While Bama is ranked #1 yet again at the moment, it's only because of number of current recruits compared to both #2 Ohio State and #3 Georgia....both of whose players have a higher average star rating.

Go back two classes ago, to 2015....Alabama was #1 and USC was #2....they played 3 months ago. How'd that work out? Look at LSU's last 3 or 4 classes and compare em to Bama. Very little difference, yet Alabama has beaten them how many times in a row?

Bottom line is after accumulating the talent you still have to do something with it and by all accounts, Saban is making the most of his. Again, 118-18 with 4, likely to be 5 national titles in 8 seasons.

Btw, "Saban at MSU" did indeed happen back in the mid to late 1990s when he took over a little brother program while battling some very good Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State teams.......Also remember that "Saban at LSU" happened as well, where he also won a national title.

Reactions: 1 person
Apologies if I misunderstood your primary point. I still somewhat disagree but can understand asking the question.

When people say #1 recruiting class it's interpreted as that team having far more talent than anyone else in the country and after 5-6 straight #1 classes it only heightens the perception. And there's no doubt that Alabama is an incredibly talented team and very likely the most talented team in the country.

But look at the current 24/7 2017 class rankings. While Bama is ranked #1 yet again at the moment, it's only because of number of current recruits compared to both #2 Ohio State and #3 Georgia....both of whose players have a higher average star rating.

Go back two classes ago, to 2015....Alabama was #1 and USC was #2....they played 3 months ago. How'd that work out? Look at LSU's last 3 or 4 classes and compare em to Bama. Very little difference, yet Alabama has beaten them how many times in a row?

Bottom line is after accumulating the talent you still have to do something with it and by all accounts, Saban is making the most of his. Again, 118-18 with 4, likely to be 5 national titles in 8 seasons.

Btw, "Saban at MSU" did indeed happen back in the mid to late 1990s when he took over a little brother program while battling some very good Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State teams.......Also remember that "Saban at LSU" happened as well, where he also won a national title.

Gonna give you a like on this one because I think you have some valid points. I will put a thread together on this subject just for you with mathematic break downs of Saban and several comparable. We'll invite everyone for a battle royal .

Reactions: 2 people
Does getting Akers put us in the top 10 if he's the only new recruit in the next 2 months?

If we add Akers and maybe 2 other recruits we should be top 10.

A class headlined by Akers,Smith,Chandler, and Gray sounds good to me. I figure some of the 3 star guys will be better than most think.

According to 24/7 sports the state of Alabama only has 14 4 star players while Tn has 3 5 star players, Alabamas 23 recruits only 6 from bama.

Gonna give you a like on this one because I think you have some valid points. I will put a thread together on this subject just for you with mathematic break downs of Saban and several comparable. We'll invite everyone for a battle royal .

Fair enough. I enjoy the discussion and your disposition.

VN Store

Back