Butch Jones on Dodd Watchlist for COTY

My thinking is that Butch is on the watchlist because if he has a really good season that proves he did a great coaching job. I don't think this is so much a prediction of coaches doing a great job but possibly a list of coaches that have to overcome a lot to have a great season.

Edit: Having looked at the list again my logic does not seem to hold for some coaches on this list. I don't know where they are coming from with this.

Tennessee is the KING of The Off Season!

c843ca5082f66324508f63c7ef045b26.gif

Reactions: 1 person
Isn't he the only one on the list old enough to have a grandson on the team?

Nah, any coach 60 years old or older is old enough to have a 20 year old grandson. Heck, if they really pushed the limits, even younger. But easily by 60. Saban could (theoretically) have a 20-year old grandson. McElwain and Orgeron, pretty close (they're both around 55).

You don't think a case could be made by beating everyone BUT play Bama close?

Of course...if he wins 11, any combination, he'll likely win the East, and be in the mix.

Perhaps the sentence structure could have been better....I can see where my statement may have been confusing.

Last edited:
There are several scenarios that could change my mind, but as it stands, we have to make it to Atlanta for me to feel good about Butch.

[twitter]https://www.twitter.com/doddtrophy/status/887678361887285248[/twitter]

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

That's rich. Coach of the year "candidate" that cannot consistently beat Vanderbilt..

It's a lock.

Put it on the board!

Reactions: 5 people
Some of you probably need to read the criteria for the award. It is about success not only on the field but off the field as well.

"The Dodd Trophy, college football's most coveted coaching award, celebrates the head coach of a team who enjoys success on the gridiron, while also stressing the importance of scholarship, leadership and integrity – the three pillars of legendary coach Bobby Dodd's philosophy. Dodd was also a three-year Tennessee letterman from 1928-30 and earned All-America honors in 1930.

"The watch list was created through a selection process by the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Foundation and Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, taking into consideration each program's graduation rate, commitment to service and charity in the community, projected success for the 2017 season and Academic Progress Rate (APR)."

Reactions: 4 people
Of course...if we wins 11, any combination, he'll likely win the East, and be in the mix.

Perhaps the sentence structure could have been better....I can see where my statement may have been confusing.

Well, neither are happening so it's moot. Fun to imagine, though.

There are several scenarios that could change my mind, but as it stands, we have to make it to Atlanta for me to feel good about Butch.

The bar to get there seems to get lower each year, and Butch insists on limboing under it.

What is really funny is those that are complaining because FSU coach Fisher is not on the list. Those folks need to check out FSU's APR score. They are barely above the required APR. I suspect that eliminated him quickly.

Gosh, will they ever relax on trying to get a click and a dollar? Dumb question. How in the world do you have a "pre-season watch list" for COY? What qualifies you for that, a name drawn out of a hat.

That being said, I hope Butch wins it. That means a lot of happiness round here.

No, if Butch has a great year... and turns this trailer around... COY. Nobody deserves it more. The hiesman is a name drawn out of a hat. No point at all for the hiesman, other then clicks and likes. COY still has relivence.

This preseason list is even more worthless than most of them, because not only do you have the usual unknowables about your team, this award depends largely on how well the teams on your schedule end up doing. If the East has 2 or 3 teams that are in the national hunt, then beating them should put him in the discussion. If we all end up being a pile of mediocrity, none of these clowns deserve a mention. Way too many moving parts to even speculate.

Over achieve a bit on the field to go with the off field stuff... And yeah, I can see this as a possibility.

I love CBJ but shouldn't everybody be on that list before the season starts?

Some of the coaches don't meet the criteria. For example you would not include a coach of a school that was failing in the academic part of the criteria or the community service part of the criteria.

It is NOT an award based on outcome on the field alone. If you look at past winners while some do have really good records what you don't find are the coaches of the NC teams the year they won the NC.

Some of the coaches don't meet the criteria. For example you would not include a coach of a school that was failing in the academic part of the criteria or the community service part of the criteria.

It is NOT an award based on outcome on the field alone. If you look at past winners while some do have really good records what you don't find are the coaches of the NC teams the year they won the NC.

Then I hope he always loses

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

That's rich. Coach of the year "candidate" that cannot consistently beat Vanderbilt..

It's a lock.

Put it on the board!

:pepper:they held off publishing the list until after he finally said "disappointed":pepper:

VN Store

Back