Butch Jones on Dodd Watchlist for COTY

So Butch shows up on the "Hotseat" list according to some national media and then somehow he is on the watch list for Coach of the Year.....??

Further proof that no one really knows what is happening/could happen this year on Rocky Top!

Yep...think he's probably the only one in top 15 to win COY and Hotseat. Interesting to note on this ranking below, Butch is THE ONLY coach in the top 40 coaches to be on hotseat that won 9 games last year, and most wins by far in last two years.
http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm

Reactions: 2 people
Over achieve a bit on the field to go with the off field stuff... And yeah, I can see this as a possibility.

There's only one coach of the year, and you can bet there is a team that nobody is really talking about that is going to make a real run at the playoffs, even if they fall short at the end. Tennessee would probably have to be that team for Butch to have a shot at the award. You don't get coach of the year for going 9-3 when you're expected to go 7-5. To actually have a real shot at CoTY, Tennessee will likely have to win the SEC or be in the playoff conversation late in November.

There's only one coach of the year, and you can bet there is a team that nobody is really talking about that is going to make a real run at the playoffs, even if they fall short at the end. Tennessee would probably have to be that team for Butch to have a shot at the award. You don't get coach of the year for going 9-3 when you're expected to go 7-5. To actually have a real shot at CoTY, Tennessee will likely have to win the SEC or be in the playoff conversation late in November.

Past winners that do not fit what you are saying bringing out the fact that "on the field" accomplishments are not the only driving factor.

2000 - GT - George O'Leary. Record was 9-3 and GT finished ranked 19 and 17 in the polls.

2004 - Navy - Paul Johnson. Record was 10-2 and Navy finished ranked 24 and 24 in the polls.

2006 - Wake Forest - Jim Grobe. Record was 11-3 and Wake Forest finished ranked 17 and 18.

2007 - Michigan - Lloyd Carr. Record was 9-4 and Michigan finished ranked at 19 and 18.

2011 - Clemson - Swinney. Record was 10-4 and Clemson ended up ranked 22 and 22.

2013 - Duke - Cutcliffe. Record was 10-4 and Duke ended up ranked 22 and 23.

I do agree that Tennessee has to have a competitive season and challenge for the SEC but past winners did not always win their conference or be in the mix for the the playoffs.

Bottom line is that the folks that determine this award do not focus ONLY on whether the team won the NC or was in that discussion.

One other comment and I will shut up - CBJ being on the list is a reflection on the players on the team. Him being on the watch list speaks volumes around the players as students and members of the Knoxville community.

Why can't you applaud that instead of focusing on reasons why you think the coach should not be on the watch list?

Reactions: 4 people
One other comment and I will shut up - CBJ being on the list is a reflection on the players on the team. Him being on the watch list speaks volumes around the players as students and members of the Knoxville community.

Why can't you applaud that instead of focusing on reasons why you think the coach should not be on the watch list?
Because morons.

Some log into VolNation with nothing on their mind but tearing down their coach. It's quite sad and pathetic really that someone would use their free time just to slander and smear another.

Reactions: 3 people
Bottom line is that the folks that determine this award do not focus ONLY on whether the team won the NC or was in that discussion.

True. That's why Cut can win it at a basketball school without winning his conference. Winning 10 at Duke carries a different weight than Jimbo winning 10 at FSU. In the same way a Wake Forrest coach can land on it.

True. That's why Cut can win it at a basketball school without winning his conference. Winning 10 at Duke carries a different weight than Jimbo winning 10 at FSU. In the same way a Wake Forrest coach can land on it.

Wrong again - Saban won it at Alabama in 2014 which was not a year that Bama won the NC.

Bob Stoops won it at Oklahoma in 2003 which was not a year that OU won the NC.

Both had coached a NC team at those schools several years before.

Jim Tressel won it at OSU and OSU was number 1 that year.

There is no connection to NC or number of wins or penalties because a coach is at a certain school.

Jimbo is not there more than likely because FSU is struggling with the APR right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Wrong again - Saban won it at Alabama in 2014 which was not a year that Bama won the NC.

Bob Stoops won it at Oklahoma in 2003 which was not a year that OU won the NC.

Both had coached a NC team at those schools several years before.

Jim Tressel won it at OSU and OSU was number 1 that year.

There is no connection to NC or number of wins or penalties because a coach is at a certain school.

Jimbo is not there more than likely because FSU is struggling with the APR right now.

Where did I say you need to win the NC?

If Cut wins 6 games that year does he win because he's at an academic school?

Urban Meyer?

It seems like more people around here would prefer a terrible season so they can say "i told you so!"

That goes both ways. I wish CBJ can take it to another level and keep it there....but I don't believe it at this point. We'll see this season

VN Store

Back