Butch Jones to no longer receive “courtesy calls” from Knoxville PD

Not sure how this stuff was working in Knoxville, other than to suggest the honeymoon is definitely over.

Once upon a time, most alleged misdemeanors would be handled with a courtesy call. Some police authorities are still comfortable working with the coaches when the stakes are much higher. (See Jamis Winston).

Butch will need to study a lot harder on public relations.

:eek:lol:...oh...you're so cute...:eek:lol:

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 1 person
Don't worry my friends, Butch will still get a call. As will Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher, Urban Meyer, etc, etc, etc, political crap is all it is.

So KPD will inform University Police right away but not the Coaches.

Since University Police probably has Coaches, AD and Key Staff on speed dial, I bet that adds 10 minutes to the notification process.

Of course, those "fit bit" type devices will tell the coaches when players GPS coordinates match Police Station's coordinates too.

Maybe we should worry about the need for such calls instead of laughably blaming some mythical pc culture

Reactions: 7 people
Not sure how this stuff was working in Knoxville, other than to suggest the honeymoon is definitely over.

Once upon a time, most alleged misdemeanors would be handled with a courtesy call. Some police authorities are still comfortable working with the coaches when the stakes are much higher. (See Jamis Winston).

I'm thinking you aren't sure how a lot of things work.

Reactions: 3 people
Maybe we should worry about the need for such calls instead of laughably blaming some mythical pc culture

Obviously it would be ideal if the KPD never had to interact with football players except to give talks during summer workouts. Everybody agrees about that.

That being said... LOL at the use of "mythical."

Reactions: 3 people
Personally, as long as there's no inpropriety, I don't see what the problem is with coaches getting heads up. Maybe in the past was an issue??? but Jones seems to legitimately want to do the right thing in all respects.

I could be totally off base here, but I've got to think that UT is certainly no worse than other big "football" schools, and arguably, better, since Butch got here, in regards to off the field stuff. The only thing that, by perception, seems different is the media. Certainly there are valid things which need investigating. But, it does seem different than other SEC schools news coverage. ATL has other things to do besides deep diving into Athens sports. College football OWNS the state of Alabama (Auburn and Bama)...prob the same in Louisiana. Florida probably is pretty equivalent. Not saying any of these agencies should do any "favors" but Tennessean and Knox papers seem to go out of their way to find negatives where many times, there aren't any...just trying to sell "shock value" journalism in many cases. Maybe we just have two papers who, for lack of any great journalism skills can only put out low effort/results.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't CBJ almost immediately suspend the players? Second question, isn't the DA for Knoxville a woman? Wouldn't you think she would be raising Hell and half of Tennessee if she thought a rape accusation was being deflected in any way?

Ditto, ditto and ditto!! :clapping:

Obviously it would be ideal if the KPD never had to interact with football players except to give talks during summer workouts. Everybody agrees about that.

That being said... LOL at the use of "mythical."

What does this have to do with political correctness?

That's ridiculous. This isn't about some misstep by Butch. This is about a case going high profile and procedures going under the microscope.

That would be like worrying about death and taxes. Players are going to misbehave. Some are going to break the law. When you recruit at an elite level you're going to bring some ruff-necks into the fold.

Don't worry my friends, Butch will still get a call. As will Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher, Urban Meyer, etc, etc, etc, political crap is all it is.

This would not be an issue if the press would just report these incidents in broad strokes, and get past breaking every little detail. If every person in the state has read all this, how the hell does the court find anyone who can serve on the jury? By the time a trial happens, there are few who have not already prejudged what happened.

Sometimes, too much of a good thing is bad. That includes the abuse of certain freedoms.

What does this have to do with political correctness?

First of all, let me start by saying that I never said anything about political correctness except to mock the poster for saying that there is a "mythical PC culture""--which is clearly mock-worthy.

Second, this has to do with political correctness because it's the familiar PC mob insinuating/assuming there was some misconduct involved in a customary courtesy call.

If you think the PC culture is a myth, you seriously need a reality check. You haven't been paying attention the past 20 years.

EDIT: However, as to eliminating the need for such calls, you are preaching to the choir.

And just in case a players peeks in here from time to time just for 5H1T5 and GIGGLES;

Gentlemen, we want the best for each and every one of you. We want success for you on and off the field. We want your name to be fondly remembered and highly honored. When you come into town years later, we want you to see from the looks in our eyes as we pass by you that who you are and how you played meant so much to us.

Don't screw that up. Talk to the guys before you who messed up. Then look to the ones who did it right. You will see a difference. Anytime you are in a situation, ask, "What would Inky do?"

That ought to cover it.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back