Cal to Arkansas?

Not really. It’s his SEC Tournament and NCAA tournament records. His last five years were worse than Tubby’s.

Well, I covered the NCAAT in my post, but I think it's about as hard for Kentucky fans to fathom going 11-13 against Tennessee as it is for them to fathom only 3 SECT titles in that same span (twice losing to Tennessee)

Seems 80/20

80% are glad to see him go
20% are worried the wrong hire could set them back big time in this new NIL era.

Cal is apparently buddy buddy with the Tyson chicken family.

They manage to get a deal together, I would wager NIL needs are a part of the package
Yeah sounds like $6 million per year in NIL from Tyson is part of the agreement

Reactions: Honky
I didn't know Arkansas fired Eric Musselman, he seemed like the best coach they had in a while. Sure, they were bad this year but he made 2 Elite 8s and a Sweet 16 prior to this year.

EDIT: Nevermind, saw Eric Musselman is jumping to USC

Calipari taking his 2024 Kentucky recruiting class to Arkansas per Rupp Rafters.
If this and the NIL deal at Arkansas is true, the loud boom from the north is the balloon popping for Kentucky basketball..... who'd have though in the same year Bama FOotball, KY BAsketball and UT Lady's basketball would all be hiring new head coaches

Reactions: Volfan1000
I don't understand why Arkansas would even want him.

If you can't win in Lexington with all the resources, how you think it's gonna go in Fayetteville?
Arkansas has a significantly better NIL situation than Kentucky. Resources won't be a problem.

One name a lot of people are skipping over...Jay Wright.

A job like UK would be tempting I would think.

Loads of UK fans clamoring for Oates. That would be an interesting choice. Brad Underwood would be a good one too. Scott Drew if they are want someone who has actually won a championship and the Big12 is a question mark that would be the colossal one to worry about.

Oats with more resources, ways to cover it up, and more chances to say wrong place wrong time…

What could possibly go wrong?

I know the NCAAT losses are probably the biggest factor in Cal's demise in Lexington, but a close second has to be Coach Barnes

I know you'd like to believe this, but:

9-14 in 2021.
1 SEC Tourney win in 4 years.
Losses to 14 and 15 seeds in the first round.

All that with a roster in the last 4 years that contains what will eventually be 12 or more NBA players. It's coaching malpractice.

Would be hard to hire Oates now after signing his new contract. I would bet Bama can match the NIL money too.

VN Store

Back