Cal to Arkansas

Bro got fired.
He violated terms of his contract and Kentucky wasn’t having him back at that point. It wasn’t his choice, Arkansas bound or not. That deal could’ve fallen through and he’s still be done. I’m guessing maybe they reached some kind of settlement to make it easier and for optics, but they could’ve fired him with cause and gotten out of the buyout. He says it was his decision, but it wasn’t. It was his decision to enter negotiations with Arkansas without consulting Kentucky, which is what put him in that position.

Last edited:
Scott Drew isn’t leaving Baylor for Tennessee.
That may be the case, but when Barnes retires, Tennessee will be a program with Top 5 in the country money to pay for next coach. And going after someone like Drew would be a hire that would be best coach ever hired here. While it will be unlikely, Tennessee is in unprecedented territory in terms of spending for a coach. Doubt White will go the ladies route first

Reactions: Volfan1000
Bro got fired.
He violated terms of his contract and Kentucky wasn’t having him back at that point. It wasn’t his choice, Arkansas bound or not. That deal could’ve fallen through and he’s still be done. I’m guessing maybe they reached some kind of settlement to make it easier and for optics, but they could’ve fired him with cause and gotten out of the buyout. He says it was his decision, but it wasn’t. It was his decision to enter negotiations with Arkansas without consulting Kentucky, which is what put him in that position.
if you’re talking about the ss from trilly yeah i seen that

if you’re talking about the ss from trilly yeah i seen that
I’m not on social media, just reading tea leaves and repeating what my Kentucky friends have said.
What did he say?
I did read that he tried going to UK to ask them to match an offer which I assume was for NIL funds or maybe hiring Brad. I don’t think he really intended to head to Arkansas and overplayed his hand. Kentucky wanted rid of him, and he made it really easy for them. He technically wasn’t “fired”, but the way this has played out, it’s clear Kentucky was done with the man.

I’m not on social media, just reading tea leaves and repeating what my Kentucky friends have said.
What did he say?
I did read that he tried going to UK to ask them to match an offer which I assume was for NIL funds or maybe hiring Brad. I don’t think he really intended to head to Arkansas and overplayed his hand. Kentucky wanted rid of him, and he made it really easy for them. He technically wasn’t “fired”, but the way this has played out, it’s clear Kentucky was done with the man.
yeah I seen that. this was what i was alluding to.

Ah, thanks. I actually hadn’t seen or heard anything about that(Peevy , trying to oust Mitch, etc) I think he was gone even if he didn’t go to Arkansas. The negotiations were all they needed. He really played it nicely. Haha.

Last edited:

Do people actually believe that is how it went down? If so how has Cal been a basketball coach for so long. He would be an idiot to try and do something like that.

Reactions: LouderVol
Do people actually believe that is how it went down? If so how has Cal been a basketball coach for so long. He would be an idiot to try and do something like that.
Who knows the real story but Calipari has just enough ego to think that he can do what he likes. It’s like the 4 stages of tequila:
I’m rich.
I’m good looking.
I’m invisible.
I’m bulletproof.

Cal’s always been at Stage 4 but I think it bit him in the butt this time. Sounds like he miscalculated somebody stepping in and saving him and Barnhart was having none of it. All I know is KY got rid of him and didn’t have to pony up $33 million. They made out like a bandit.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Who knows the real story but Calipari has just enough ego to think that he can do what he likes. It’s like the 4 stages of tequila:
I’m rich.
I’m good looking.
I’m invisible.
I’m bulletproof.

Cal’s always been at Stage 4 but I think it bit him in the butt this time. Sounds like he miscalculated somebody stepping in and saving him and Barnhart was having none of it. All I know is KY got rid of him and didn’t have to pony up $33 million. They made out like a bandit.
Not sure if going from Cal to Mark Pope is making out like a bandit.
Remains to be seen I guess.

Reactions: Delmar
Not sure if going from Cal to Mark Pope is making out like a bandit.
Remains to be seen I guess.
I was just talking about the $33 million. KY certainly wanted to get rid of Cal but they severely miscalculated the interest in the job by established coaches. The jury is definitely out on Mark Pope.

Reactions: HalfullVol
How is Stephens like Dooley? Dooley had a losing record as a head coach. Stephens, in her one year as a D1 coach, took a program to the tournament for the first time in over 25 years. She could turn out to be a bust, but she’s not remotely comparable to Dooley.
Wasn't Dooley like 4th or 5th choice on the coaching search list after Kiffin bolted for Southern California?

VN Store

Back