CBJ and injuries

No we haven't. Outside of 4 guys who else do we have on the lines that are SEC quality depth? It's CBJs fault he didn't have enough depth there to replace Tuttle and it's his fault JRM was placed on special teams and injured. Knowing his backup is a walk on in Colton Jumper.....dumb

Very few SEC teams have more than 4 quality defensive tackles. JRM does not play on the line. We had depth last year. Big loss was O'brien. That had nothing to do with injury. With O'brien, we win at Vandy and SC.

Vickers, KMac, Tuttle, O'brien, and Johnson was suppose to be rotation. All good players.

Crosby should help this year.

Reactions: 2 people
Bad luck, training technique ? We do seem to have a higher injury rate than most schools. Gonna wait 'til mid or after the season to bash CBJ.

After last season, it's easy to feel like we have been cursed with injuries. But really, I think other than last year we haven't been different than most other teams. And even last year's injuries wouldn't have seemed so bad if we had better depth and if so many key players hadn't been impacted.

I saw several comments yesterday about the number of players not playing in the O&W game. But if I'm not mistaken, several of them are still dealing with issues from last season. So it's not like they were injured all over again. The coaches are trying to make sure they'll be ready to come back in the fall. And that's smart coaching, IMO.

While I get your sarcasm, you have to admit injuries are a problem with him. And if it causes another loss to Vandy then he is toast.

I think you have to look for cause and effect before you start talking about "doing people in."

Is there a common denominator to the slew of injuries? Weight program? A particular drill used during practices? A particular formation or set of plays in games?

Problem is, there's no pattern here, at least not one I can see.

Butch has switched his S&C coach not once, but twice, in an effort to get our lads into better condition. So that's not the common thread. And it doesn't appear to be any particular formation, play set, exercise or drill during practices or games.

Sometimes, you just roll snake eyes three times in a row, as unlikely as the odds are.

Yes, yes, ultimately everything is the responsibility of the head coach. But if you can't find a PROXIMATE CAUSE for the string of injuries, a common denominator, any talk of firing a guy is an admission that, "hey, we don't know what the hell is going on here, but let's fire this dude anyway, see if things get better."

That is, in my opinion, a last resort kind of "solution" to any problem.

Far better to figure out what's going on and address the real problem(s).

That was the (much longer) message behind the sarcasm, Daddy-o. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
We wont need to wear sunglasses

Given your username it's pretty clear you don't spend any time in the light of day anyway. I get the OP's point. We clearly didn't have sufficient depth on the D line last year. Especially at the tackle position. Losing Kmac and Tuttle to injury and O'Brien to weed we just didn't have enough experienced players with adequate size to get the job done. I don't even know about our depth this year since I haven't seen a single practice. That being said, if Doug Mathews feels we have good los depth then I will take his word over a message board poster who has probably seen the same number of practices that I have.

Reactions: 1 person
It's football. Unfortunately, some players are going to get hurt. You can blame CBJ for a lot of things but when the players are on the field, they're taking a chance of getting injured whether it's by a dirty play or just bad luck. No one can predict what's going to happen on the field.

Whatever it is this guy has the injury bug with his players. This is the third year in a row we have 5 defensive lineman out for the spring. We have had crucial injuries every year with him. This, more than his game day blunders, will do him in IMO

Well at least three of those injuries (KMack, Shy, Phillips) are from last season...before "The Rock" came on board. Maybe even Vickers as well.

So hopefully things will get better.

Just when you thought the butch haters couldn't come up with anything dumber, they go a totally redeem themselves. 😂

Reactions: 11 people
Most of our injuries are from last year, we haven't had many major injuries this spring. The vast majority are post op injuries and being held out for precaution. We have a new S@C coach so people need to chill, this spring there haven't been many or any major injuries. GBO!!!!

Whatever it is this guy has the injury bug with his players. This is the third year in a row we have 5 defensive lineman out for the spring. We have had crucial injuries every year with him. This, more than his game day blunders, will do him in IMO

Your logic is faulty. Injuries happen to every team, every season. I think CBJ does a great job of managing injuries. Strength and conditioning last year seem to have had an adverse effect, and certainly that does go back to the head coach, but we didn't have more or less than anyone else. You will need a different reason to freak out and fire the coach.

I think you have to look for cause and effect before you start talking about "doing people in."

Is there a common denominator to the slew of injuries? Weight program? A particular drill used during practices? A particular formation or set of plays in games?

Problem is, there's no pattern here, at least not one I can see.

Butch has switched his S&C coach not once, but twice, in an effort to get our lads into better condition. So that's not the common thread. And it doesn't appear to be any particular formation, play set, exercise or drill during practices or games.

Sometimes, you just roll snake eyes three times in a row, as unlikely as the odds are.

Yes, yes, ultimately everything is the responsibility of the head coach. But if you can't find a PROXIMATE CAUSE for the string of injuries, a common denominator, any talk of firing a guy is an admission that, "hey, we don't know what the hell is going on here, but let's fire this dude anyway, see if things get better."

That is, in my opinion, a last resort kind of "solution" to any problem.

Far better to figure out what's going on and address the real problem(s).

That was the (much longer) message behind the sarcasm, Daddy-o. :)

Yep.
You could probably string a couple together and make a claim that last year's conditioning played a part but definitely no overall connection.

Tuttle was cheap shotted.
Hurd was concussed.
JRM with the reoccurring shoulder issue.

Those are the quick ones I remember off the top of my head.
No way in hell that's a result of a coaching drill or technique.

Theres no doubt we have had several injuries the past 3 years. 2014 and 2015 maybe it wasnt how many but WHO was injured that hurt so bad. More than likely right on par with other Div 1 schools but 2016 was a case of how many AND who. It was a horrible combination of both but, one of those things that just happen. I remember the same type of epidemic happening to GA a few years ago so its not just at UT.

Now, if you want to blame Butch for something its not recruiting and managing guys to make sure that 4 years in lack of depth isnt a prob. That and choking games away that we should have won.

As for Butch and this current staff, id be curious to how many players have been injured since this staff has been on campus. Not guys being held out to be safe or guys injured last season and still out, but under the care of the current coaches/s&c. I bet its not very many.

While I get your sarcasm, you have to admit injuries are a problem with him. And if it causes another loss to Vandy then he is toast.

Yeah, I still don't get how Butch factors into the injury bug. He's done everything possible to not cause injuries in the spring/fall. I get it if he recruits injured players but that's not the case. It's something you can't coach.

I like where we are compared to the Kitten and Dooley days. We don't have a lot of players in the newspapers committing crimes. His players are out in the community making a difference. He has brought back a family atmosphere to Tennessee. Six years ago 9 wins seemed a long way off. I say Butch has us going in the right direction.

Reactions: 4 people
He has the injury bug for whatever reason and the stats prove it. His problem is he can't recruit top talent at the line.

Really? KMac #1, Tuttle #2 DT in the country! Barnett going in the top 15 in the upcoming draft. Kongbo #1 juco DE. Please tell me he can't recruit top talent.

:thud:

Tennesseeduke

Reactions: 6 people
You aren't looking at the facts then.

You aren't looking at facts either. Don't be obtuse.

You are looking at outcomes ignoring the reasons that led to them and boiling it down to something so simple it's an argument a 5th grader would make.

It's popular on this board. I guess the fact is Mods must be behind it.

You're a Mod. You said it. Those are the facts... :)

Reactions: 3 people
Injuries have been a huge problem in recent years, but of all the things that are Butch's fault, I don't see how that's one of them.

Reactions: 10 people
Injuries have been a huge problem in recent years, but of all the things that are Butch's fault, I don't see how that's one of them.

Cause and Effect

Even though he's not directly responsible, decisions he has made concerning the S and C coach could have had an impact

Hiring a S and C that teaches bad technique, wrong training, can lead to excessive injuries

He has tried and correct this, so lets see if it improves

Other factors could be the time our players are on the field. Our D suffers from too much time on the field and its a reason we suffer so many injuries on D.

Reactions: 3 people
Cause and Effect

Even though he's not directly responsible, decisions he has made concerning the S and C coach could have had an impact

Hiring a S and C that teaches bad technique, wrong training, can lead to excessive injuries

Other factors could be the time our players are on the field. Our D suffers from too much time on the field and its a reason we suffer so many injuries on D.

Butch is responsible for the program, including the S&C coach, but in looking at the variety and nature of the injuries we've suffered, I'm not personally convinced there's anything specifically related our training or time spent on the field. JMO.

Reactions: 5 people
Cause and Effect

You're trying way too hard. I don't give a damn how good of a S&C Coach you hire. Any player whether it's College or even in the NFL, can get hurt on any given day. All it takes is 1 sec for something to go wrong and that's something you can't control. The human body is not invincible.

Last edited:
Several of the guys that sat were precautionary. At the start of fall camp I believe everyone is slated to be back. And I don't see a repetitive injury that is repeatedly occurring. I disagree that it's Butch.

VN Store

Back