Coach Bajakian on Worley:

How about you not call a 3WR/4WR set on the 2 yard line Bajakian! Don't blame that play on Worley.

Worley made the decision to throw over the middle. It looked like he had a TE coming open, but Worley didn't have much time look around. But he could have thrown it out of the endzone rather than throw into tight coverage. And it's a game of inches. Throw the ball 6 inches to the left and it is doubtful the LB gets his hand on the ball and it's a TD.
If you look at replay there is a good angle that showed an open receiver in back left corner. Everybody keeps saying how tough Worsley is. The throw was the result if him making a bad decision due to having the yips.

Reactions: 3 people
Every person I know and respect in terms of football knowledge have told me Mike Bajakian is top notch. Again, I understand the frustration with the read option sometimes with Worley at center, but you can't turn an apple into an orange. This staff has thrived off this style offense for 6+ years now. They aren't going to change it, they simply will just recruit better players for it. Wolf getting injured really hurt us too. When Wolf is in the game we are a totally different team. He's the best run blocker on our team, and he's also our best pass catching TE. When Wolf went down we saw the old offense of last year in the OK game. This team needs a TE threat for this system.
Agree on Wolf. He had a key block on at least one of Hurd's long runs. He's a promising player.

I don't know why so many people are so adamant that we should have run on that fateful 3rd and 2. I can definitely buy that we should have had a RB back there, but to be so adamant that we should have run it when our OL was getting obliterated the entire game doesn't make much sense to me. I didn't see anything prior to that that suggested that was a situation where we line up and say, "Our line is going to beat your line for the first down right here". Maybe it's just me though.

OU dropped 8 in coverage at the goal line a QB must recognize that and not try to force the ball into coverage. If Worley had just taken a sack there it's 4th down and we hit a chip shot FG and it's 27-13. A scramble and it's very likely he gets two yards and it's first and goal, and maybe he scores. Worley must learn to protect the football at all cost to avoid catastrophic game deciding plays if the Vols are going to upset one of these ranked teams on the schedule.

I can't believe I missed this.

Bajakian just put a lot more red in his ledger with these comments about Worley.

He made the two bonehead play calls that cost us giving Ok a major scare. He is trying to shoehorn Worley into this offense instead of adapting to personnel for the short term.

All I know is he has a showdown with Kurt Roper in three weeks and he better win it.

Reactions: 1 person
Bajakian is FOS. No OC in their right mind puts 5-wide on the 3-yd line. First it cuts the field in half, second there's no room to run a route, and third there's too many bodies in that space to get open.

What you do there is either fake a run to the RB and throw to him in the flat, run a fade to North in the corner, or throw to the TE over the middle.

I'm PO'd at Bajakian for even hinting that the TO's were all Worley's fault. None of them except the pick-6 were his fault, and that was a schematic failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Totally agree.

This is what Croom should be doing to opponents in the endzone:

wrestling-gif-10.gif

Looks like my Saturday night move with Mrs salutethehill.

Yeah, we wouldn't want that damn Chip Kelly here either. First three times eagles got in the red zone last night they split everyone out in no back sets. He has no idea what he's doing either.

If we would have completed the pass he would have been a best ever. If we would have ran it and got stuffed he would have been an idiot for running it behind a young line.

Yeah, we wouldn't want that damn Chip Kelly here either. First three times eagles got in the red zone last night they split everyone out in no back sets. He has no idea what he's doing either.

If we would have completed the pass he would have been a best ever. If we would have ran it and got stuffed he would have been an idiot for running it behind a young line.

No! You put us in position for a successful result period. He put us in a play that was doomed before the snap. It was malpractice at its best or worst, but bad coaching.

Bajakian is FOS. No OC in their right mind puts 5-wide on the 3-yd line.

I've seen Spurrier and Meyer both do it. Among others.

Reactions: 2 people
Bajakian is FOS. No OC in their right mind puts 5-wide on the 3-yd line. First it cuts the field in half, second there's no room to run a route, and third there's too many bodies in that space to get open.

What you do there is either fake a run to the RB and throw to him in the flat, run a fade to North in the corner, or throw to the TE over the middle.

I'm PO'd at Bajakian for even hinting that the TO's were all Worley's fault. None of them except the pick-6 were his fault, and that was a schematic failure.

Tell all of this to the Texas A&M coach. They have scored half of their touchdowns from a 4 or 5 wide set on the goal line this season. Keeping a running back in as a decoy there does not help your chances of getting somebody open. It just allows whoever his man is to to help cover somebody else.

There was plenty of room to run the routes. In fact, there were receivers that were open on the play. Worley didn't find him and then forced a throw when he should have thrown it away.

How about you not call a 3WR/4WR set on the 2 yard line Bajakian! Don't blame that play on Worley.

Yeah, let's put everybody in the box and go with the old "helmet on a helment" philosophy even though our o-line had no chance of winning a single battle. Our only chance was to spread them out IMO.

No! You put us in position for a successful result period. He put us in a play that was doomed before the snap. It was malpractice at its best or worst, but bad coaching.

You think passing on the goal line is malpractice? I can only imagine your criticism if he had tried to run it against a defensive front that consisted of 8 in the box (of which, 3 or so are all Americans at their position) vs our offensive line that consists of nothing but freshmen and first year starters. To me, one of those play calls sounds like suicide, while the other, if run properly, will result in either a TD or a thrown away ball. Worley made one of his only mistakes of the night, and it cost us dearly. Don't blame that on Bajakian.

Every person I know and respect in terms of football knowledge have told me Mike Bajakian is top notch. Again, I understand the frustration with the read option sometimes with Worley at center, but you can't turn an apple into an orange. This staff has thrived off this style offense for 6+ years now. They aren't going to change it, they simply will just recruit better players for it. Wolf getting injured really hurt us too. When Wolf is in the game we are a totally different team. He's the best run blocker on our team, and he's also our best pass catching TE. When Wolf went down we saw the old offense of last year in the OK game. This team needs a TE threat for this system.

Good analysis, spot on.

Can't subscribe to that one. He is making tons of money to accept blame for its his job to put players in position to succeed.

If you can't play pitch and catch for 5 yards, you probably shouldn't be playing QB. Look at how coach Jones jumped his ass after that play. He was supposed to go to a one on one match up. The int was all on him.

Nothing about that was Worley's fault. He threw the ball towards 11 guys in red that knew he was throwing because his OC made the worst play call of the night.

This is one of the most idiotic comments that I have ever read. Teams run those sets near the goal line all the time and score, it just so happens we didn't. Not a bad play call, but bad execution. But it's easy to Monday Morning QB when you are sitting at home on the couch in your stained t-shirt eating Doritos.

Every person I know and respect in terms of football knowledge have told me Mike Bajakian is top notch. Again, I understand the frustration with the read option sometimes with Worley at center, but you can't turn an apple into an orange. This staff has thrived off this style offense for 6+ years now. They aren't going to change it, they simply will just recruit better players for it.

All of this does not quite add up. If Bajakian is top notch why is he trying to turn an apple into an orange? He has recruited a guy who supposedly fits his system perfectly - that's Dobbs. So why is Dobbs unable to beat out Worley for starting job if he is the better fit for Bajakian offense?

Bajakian put him in some of those bad situations because of his C- play calling. Von and Wolf will be ready for GA. Josh, don't think so.

What BAJAKIEN should have said. In that 3rd and 2 at 4. Totally my fault. Even if we still throw on that down. I'm retarded for not lining a running back up to give defense something else to think about and Worley a safety valve so doesn't have to force a throw. And most importantly I should always run the ball in that situation. Shame on me for that knockout blow I caused our team that Justin would be blamed for.

Good lord, man. If he makes the pass to the wide open TE, it's a moot point. Worley chose poorly. Maybe not the best play call, but not the game damning call y'all make it out to be.

VN Store

Back