Coach Doug Mathews has us 8-4.

8-4 is not what I want but it is not a failure and CBJ would not, and should not be in trouble. If we fire a coach who resurrected this program from the Doofus years because he went 8-4 then Ole Piss will stand a better chance of hiring a big name coach than we would. No big time coach would dream of coming after that.

Reactions: 6 people
Honestly, I agree that 8-4 is probably the best we can do this season. However, I think we stand a good chance to win the East in 2018. We will have the talent at the right positions to make us a serious contender.

Reactions: 1 person
At this point, not winning the division would equal failure.

If Florida does it again, Mac would be at Florida 3 years and won the division 3 times.

If Georgia wins the division, Kirby would have turned it around at Georgia in year 2 and accomplished what Butch has not been able to do in 5.

If anyone other than Florida, Georgia, or Tennessee wins the divison, people would be howling that Carolina, Kentucky, Vandy or Mizzou won the division before Butch did.

For the season not to be a failure (in terms of the long term good of the program), Tennessee HAS to win the division.

Same argument with slightly changed numbers last year, in year 4 for Jones.

If Florida does it again, Mac would be at Florida 3 years and won the division 3 times.

If Georgia wins the division, Kirby would have turned it around at Georgia in year 2 and accomplished what Butch has not been able to do in 5.

If anyone other than Florida, Georgia, or Tennessee wins the divison, people would be howling that Carolina, Kentucky, Vandy or Mizzou won the division before Butch did.

For the season not to be a failure (in terms of the long term good of the program), Tennessee HAS to win the division.

Get what you're saying but I'm gonna go ahead am wait to see what we have at both all the positions we replaced and the assistants before setting the bar at the division.

Your description is where I was last year and we should have won. The only reason I still have hope is, unlike many here, my opinion is Jones did as well as I demanded last year.
Whatever caused that sorry azz excuse for a defense cost us a minimum of 2 games and the division.
Yes, you don't have to say it, Jones is ultimately responsible for the final product. But he did exactly what I wanted and fired our DC and hired one of the biggest names in the game. I refuse to totally throw him under the bus for doing exactly what the large majority of us demanded. But Butch and his offense done more than enough to be in Atlanta. So I'm holding to some hope there's still a possibility.

Reactions: 3 people
8-4 is a disappointing season. This is year 5. We should be reloading at this point not rebuilding

Reactions: 4 people
hearing crap like that just ruins my day and probably the next few. I can't believe we are STILL hearing about youth and depth.

That's what going through that many coaches in that many years does to a program, especially when one of them completely cuts out recruiting lines and doesn't recruited a single Olineman.

Reactions: 3 people
8-4 is not what I want but it is not a failure and CBJ would not, and should not be in trouble. If we fire a coach who resurrected this program from the Doofus years because he went 8-4 then Ole Piss will stand a better chance of hiring a big name coach than we would. No big time coach would dream of coming after that.

Disagree. A big name coach will look at the roster, facilities, general shape of the program and, most importantly, the money. It's not like Jones would've gotten canned after year 3 or even 4, which is typically the time coaches are given at big time programs to produce or move along.

Let me know the next time UT hires a "big name" coach. It's happened one time in my lifetime. Dickey wasn't a big name in 1964. Battle surely wasn't a big name. Johnny Majors was actually a HUGE hire. We got that "big name" because he was an alumnus. Fulmer wasn't a big name. He had never been a HC when he got the job.

Reactions: 5 people
i just don't get how Doug or anyone else is ok with this. that outcome would be an absolute failure. Butch should be fired if this happens, those are the only games that matter. the other games should be perennial locks as wins and split those four every year at least and once every 3-4 win 3 out of the 4

No way Butch gets fired at 8-4 after losing key starters. If one of those 4 losses is Vandy or Kentucky, then you could maybe persuade me

Never thought I'd say this, but he had John Adams on the first segment and I actually enjoyed it. He wrote an article about SEC running backs. A few takeaways...

1. Herschel is the all-time leading rusher in conference history, of course, despite only playing 3 years.

2. Tennessee's all-time leading rusher Travis Henry is only 34th in conference history. They discussed how Tennessee has always had 2, sometimes even 3 stud running backs at the same time who split carries so that no particular back could pile up carries and yards.

3. Ralph Webb at Vandy has a good shot at becoming the 5th all-time leading rusher in SEC history.

4. Adams thinks Chuck Webb was the best Tennessee running back all-time....said had he not gone down to injury in 1990 that he believes he would've won Tennessee's first/only Heisman trophy. Mathews said "Cobb could do more things than Webb". I agree with Adams here.

the encouraging thing here is that on a previous show, Mathews talked about Chandler and put him in the category of as good or better than Cobb. So regardless of whether Webb or Cobb was better, I for one am hoping that we are not quite as shallow at RB as some want to make us believe. I just wish we would get back in the I formation. It certainly worked well for Cobb and Webb.

Reactions: 2 people
Let me know the next time UT hires a "big name" coach. It's happened one time in my lifetime. Dickey wasn't a big name in 1964. Battle surely wasn't a big name. Johnny Majors was actually a HUGE hire. We got that "big name" because he was an alumnus. Fulmer wasn't a big name. He had never been a HC when he got the job.

What if we hired Navy's Niumatalolo. Now, that's a big name. And, just imagine the coaches show with Bob. :crazy:

Reactions: 2 people
No way Butch gets fired at 8-4 after losing key starters. If one of those 4 losses is Vandy or Kentucky, then you could maybe persuade me

It's year 5 though. everyone loses key starters and if there is no one in line ready to step up and replace that player, it's on Butch.

Winning a bad division is not the answer. Building a stronger program is.

The fact that Ky is a dark horse proves that the east is down across the board.

When was the last time Vandy beat both Ga and Tn in the same year?

All I'm saying is that the east has sunk to their level rather than them rising.

I expect 121 to have learned a lesson from 119 and 120. Start early and end strong. Both are needed to compete for championships.

the encouraging thing here is that on a previous show, Mathews talked about Chandler and put him in the category of as good or better than Cobb. So regardless of whether Webb or Cobb was better, I for one am hoping that we are not quite as shallow at RB as some want to make us believe. I just wish we would get back in the I formation. It certainly worked well for Cobb and Webb.

Chandler is the best running back on the roster, but how do you have only 2 stud running backs at UT?

Vfl2407 (the OP) heard about 10 different things from Doug this morning, and shared them.

Only two of the 10 were about the coaches. And yet, here we are again, micro-analyzing portents for the future of Butch's tenure.

Beginning to strike me that some folks here don't even like to talk football...just job-gossip.

Does seem to be a pattern.

I glanced at the Gator schedule again after 99's post, they honestly have a decent chance at sweeping the SEC, definitely the division.
We could literally only lose to them and be 11-1 or them and Alabama and be 10-2 and still not win the division.

But by the standard 99 put forth, we should then be firing the 10-2 or 11-1 coach.
I'm going to try just to go back to enjoying football and leave the job carousel to those who seem to enjoy it more.

Reactions: 10 people
The bar is being set low.

Where would you set the bar to win X amount of games or go packing?

To predict 8-4 is not setting a bar, it's making a prediction.

The bar is to figure out how to win the east so we can play for an SEC title and expect to make the playoff and go in to win a NC. 8-4 won't cut it. Anything less than a NC run will be an undesired result.

Just go win em all 121 and get this monkey off our back.

Last edited:
Winning a bad division is not the answer. Building a stronger program is.

The fact that Ky is a dark horse proves that the east is down across the board.

When was the last time Vandy beat both Ga and Tn in the same year?

All I'm saying is that the east has sunk to their level rather than them rising.

I expect 121 to have learned a lesson from 119 and 120. Start early and end strong. Both are needed to compete for championships.

At some point a stronger program wins a bad division.

I guess I'm also thinking 8-4 with the losses to Fla, UGA, Bama, LSU.

Last year folks had us losing to Fla, UGA, Bama and A&M - even those that had us contending for the east said those could easily be losses.

This quite honestly sounds like the same old same old from many of the same folks.

The fans need to make Neyland the home field advantage that it should be. Come ready to be loud for UGA and LSU and have only thoughts of winning.

Where would you set the bar to win X amount of games or go packing?

To predict 8-4 is not setting a bar, it's making a prediction.

The bar is to figure out how to win the east so we can play for an SEC title and expect to make the playoff and go in to win a NC. 8-4 won't cut it. Anything less than a NC run will be an undesired result.

Just go win em all 121 and get this monkey off our back.

It's not the answer but it's the bar?

Chandler is the best running back on the roster, but how do you have only 2 stud running backs at UT?

Two truly "stud" running backs on the same roster is a great situation to be in. Two studs backed up by 2-3 solid SEC rbs would be great.

VN Store

Back