Coach Doug Mathews has us 8-4.

Two truly "stud" running backs on the same roster is a great situation to be in. Two studs backed up by 2-3 solid SEC rbs would be great.

can never have to many big time backs. just look at UGA when both chubb and sony went down. i like having a stable 4,5, even 6 deep

Reactions: 1 person
Does seem to be a pattern.

I glanced at the Gator schedule again after 99's post, they honestly have a decent chance at sweeping the SEC, definitely the division.
We could literally only lose to them and be 11-1 or them and Alabama and be 10-2 and still not win the division.

But by the standard 99 put forth, we should then be firing the 10-2 or 11-1 coach.
I'm going to try just to go back to enjoying football and leave the job carousel to those who seem to enjoy it more.

Good points on both sides here. It ain't easy being me.

8-4 is a disappointing season. This is year 5. We should be reloading at this point not rebuilding

In a year like this - the point is not to regress, but either stay the same or get better. 8-4 with the losses coming to the teams considered the best on the schedule is staying the same which sets up for having experience to have an outstanding year in 2018.

8-4 in 2017 = should challenge for SEC and playoff spot in 2018 IMO.

If UGA, Florida, Bama and LSU are as good as folks make them out to be then not sure why 8-4 is disappointing unless you believe that UGA and Florida are not really as good as the media thinks they are.

If the prediction was 10-2 some of you would be saying the same thing.

Reactions: 2 people
Last year folks had us losing to Fla, UGA, Bama and A&M - even those that had us contending for the east said those could easily be losses.

This quite honestly sounds like the same old same old from many of the same folks.

The fans need to make Neyland the home field advantage that it should be. Come ready to be loud for UGA and LSU and have only thoughts of winning.

Do you ever do anything other than ***** and moan about what other posters say? It was a fair guess by the poster you responded to.

How about you grace us with your prediction? Would it be much or even any different?

At some point a stronger program wins a bad division.

Somebody has to win it every year. We let Florida off the hook these past two years allowing them to win the east. Ga didn't help us or themselves.

We are coming out of the worst runs ever for Vols football. I'm ready for 121 to take the next step and execute to their potential. Play all quarters like the game is on the line, because it is. You can't win a game in the first half, but you can sure lose one. The sense of urgency to score needs improvement. Everybody needs to understand situational football.

I'm ready to watch them do it.

Last edited:
Let me know the next time UT hires a "big name" coach. It's happened one time in my lifetime. Dickey wasn't a big name in 1964. Battle surely wasn't a big name. Johnny Majors was actually a HUGE hire. We got that "big name" because he was an alumnus. Fulmer wasn't a big name. He had never been a HC when he got the job.

Exactly.

At this point, not winning the division would equal failure.

If Florida does it again, Mac would be at Florida 3 years and won the division 3 times.

If Georgia wins the division, Kirby would have turned it around at Georgia in year 2 and accomplished what Butch has not been able to do in 5.

If anyone other than Florida, Georgia, or Tennessee wins the divison, people would be howling that Carolina, Kentucky, Vandy or Mizzou won the division before Butch did.

For the season not to be a failure (in terms of the long term good of the program), Tennessee HAS to win the division.

So Tennessee beats UGA and Florida but loses to A&M and Bama to end up 10-2. Either UGA or Florida only loses the other - they win the division. Florida loses to FSU (and possibly Michigan), UGA loses to Notre Dame and possibly GT).

And Tennessee beats everyone in the east but loses the division because of who they play in the west.

Then Tennessee fires a coach who went 10-2, probably has a team that is ranked in the top 10 higher than both UGA and Florida. A team that more than likely plays in one of the big bowls.

Yes that makes perfect sense to call the season a failure NOT!!!

In a year like this - the point is not to regress, but either stay the same or get better. 8-4 with the losses coming to the teams considered the best on the schedule is staying the same which sets up for having experience to have an outstanding year in 2018.

8-4 in 2017 = should challenge for SEC and playoff spot in 2018 IMO.

If UGA, Florida, Bama and LSU are as good as folks make them out to be then not sure why 8-4 is disappointing unless you believe that UGA and Florida are not really as good as the media thinks they are.

If the prediction was 10-2 some of you would be saying the same thing.

I'm not sure why 8-4 has anything to do with setting up a 18' being a playoff run.

Who are the folks saying that of any of those teams (less Bama)?

Is it the same ones that said Iowa, Nwestern, and Nebraska were really good teams?

Last edited:
Alabama and LSU will be tough, but I think UF and UGA are toss ups. Florida will be missing their leading tackler, a lot of questions on the offense, and they lost a lot of talent to the draft too. The hardest part about that game will be playing it in the swamp, but if our team can come together and quiet the crowd on the road we can win that game.

We always play UGA competitively, plus that game is at home. I think our talent level is very similar. Also, they are coached by Smart. I think we are in good shape here.

I believe 8-4 is a floor, but it should not be the ceiling. Butch has made us competitive and we have came a long way from where we were, but I believe it is time we start exceeding mediocrity and living up to the expectations at Tennessee. We need to be at least 9-3 this season, no way should we lose all 4 of those big SEC games. Butch needs to show us he can win here, which means winning the games that we should win and winning games when something important is on the line.

Good points on both sides here. It ain't easy being me.

Lol.
It didn't occur to me until I glanced at Florida's schedule, what 99 was actually saying.
We need high expectations but he recommends we fire the coach at double-digit wins if Florida sweeps it schedule.

He'll get a ton of likes from the usual suspects but I'm not taking a Gator fan telling me we need to fire the coach who just/finally beat them, too seriously.

Reactions: 5 people
It appears it was in one post but not the other tho.

Don't make me look back at my own posts.

The execution of the answer is really the bar.

The answer is only an answer not the intended results. So to know how but then not do simply will not do. To do is the only was to get satisfactory results.

Vfl2407 (the OP) heard about 10 different things from Doug this morning, and shared them.

Only two of the 10 were about the coaches. And yet, here we are again, micro-analyzing portents for the future of Butch's tenure.

Beginning to strike me that some folks here don't even like to talk football...just job-gossip.

We have a lot of Richard Heads on this board. :good!::good!::good!::good!::good!:
Nothing, short of an undefeated season, is ever gonna be good enough for them.

Reactions: 4 people
Don't make me look back at my own posts.

The execution of the answer is really the bar.

The answer is only an answer not the intended results. So to know how but then not do simply will not do. To do is the only was to get satisfactory results.

I'm getting dizzy.

And my BP has been good since Wed.

Lol.
It didn't occur to me until I glanced at Florida's schedule, what 99 was actually saying.
We need high expectations but he recommends we fire the coach at double-digit wins if Florida sweeps it schedule.

He'll get a ton of likes from the usual suspects but I'm not taking a Gator fan telling me we need to fire the coach who just/finally beat them, too seriously.
I could be wrong but I don't get the impression he is expecting them to be good.

I could be wrong but I don't get the impression he is expecting them to be good.

He usually doesn't, negagator I guess lol. But I see us and them as very close but the game in their house.

They have LSU again, see last year.

They have Texas A&M. We used everything in our arsenal to lose that game. The Gators will have to throw the ball on the ground repeatedly and absolutely refuse to play defense to lose, at least that's what it took for us.
They have a pretty nice setup no matter how much he downplays it.

I'm not worried about LSU. At Neyland, no QB and Ed as coach...that game will be similar to Oklahoma first half at Neyland.

He usually doesn't, negagator I guess lol. But I see us and them as very close but the game in their house.

They have LSU again, see last year.

They have Texas A&M. We used everything in our arsenal to lose that game. The Gators will have to throw the ball on the ground repeatedly and absolutely refuse to play defense to lose, at least that's what it took for us.
They have a pretty nice setup no matter how much he downplays it.

I'm not as high on UF even with them playing A&M instead of Bama.

They got thumped pretty good in their Ls last year. And if that's his stance I tend to agree with his point because I don't see 7-1 or 8-0 even with their schedule.

About where everyone has us m, except for a few on here.

I'm on the fringes this year with 9-3 or 10-2. The past 3 I've been on target pretty much. I believe our coaching upgrades, overall experience and maturity upgrades, and dependence on team cause overachievement. Those are bigger than the loss of starpower that most focus on.

Get a couple breaks and we could have a special season.

VN Store

Back