Coach T and recruiting for the Vols

He's ranked 70 spots lower than Jordan Cornish, a guy many said didn't deserve a Tennessee offer, he's ranked 15 spots lower than Derek Reese, a guy many have said isn't a SEC level basketball player.

I think Phillips can be a solid contributor after 2-3 years, but I wouldn't expect much from him or The Admiral early on, and neither one is going to solve our offensive struggles...that's the knock on both, not very good shooters, they're athletes.
Cornish would be good for Tyndall,because Tyndall can make best out of nothing I mean seriously did you really think we would have a chance in hell at beating a top 25 team?

He's ranked 70 spots lower than Jordan Cornish, a guy many said didn't deserve a Tennessee offer, he's ranked 15 spots lower than Derek Reese, a guy many have said isn't a SEC level basketball player.

I think Phillips can be a solid contributor after 2-3 years, but I wouldn't expect much from him or The Admiral early on, and neither one is going to solve our offensive struggles...that's the knock on both, not very good shooters, they're athletes.

Sure does have a sweet form here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=koQnP8LWyXQ

Not sure what you consider a good fg rate but he averaged 48% fg during his hs season

Of course Martin told Stokes he was'nt coming back and it made his decision much easier. What I find funny is the fact folks want to stay with the clique BS of he sucked, needed to go, yada yada yada.

Martin did suck and did need to go. Not sure why that's so difficult to see.

So scoring mid to low 60s every game is exciting? Being more competitive while scoring more points was boring though?:confused:

Probably boils down to the level of competition on the floor. With this years squad, any win is a good win if we score 20 or 200

Of course, that's why he got to a S16 in his third year, because his recruiting sucked. That's why all Donnie has now is Zo recruits, because Zo sucks, and Donnie rules.

Lets he honest...how likely does Stokes come if there isn't immediate playing time? Florida and Kentucky couldn't offer that and Memphis couldn't either. If his recruitment was played out like other top prospects, we don't sign him IMO. Martin lucked up with Stokes. I'm sure they built a decent relationship but yeah...

Martins S16 run was expected. Vol fans and players should have not had to sweat it out to see if we even got in but did. He was a game away from missing the tournament with that roster.

Its highly unfair to even compare Donnie Tyndall to any UT coach right now.

Reactions: 1 person
If he had some highly rated guys coming in next season I would be a bit more optimistic, but we lose our best player and tack on 2 more guys who struggled to get SEC offers from even the lower level teams in the league, maybe you see something I don't.

You're right. We will have a roster full of role players. I wouldn't mind the 2 he has committed if there was a game changing player to go along with them.

Who is going to be the man next year? I'm guessing Mostella.

Probably boils down to the level of competition on the floor. With this years squad, any win is a good win if we score 20 or 200

If that's the case the last few years should have been very exciting seeing as we overachieved each year. The first year of Martins we had a similar roster and expectations. He scored more than this team finished 2nd in the SEC and won 19 games. I guess you loved that year then huh?

Back on topic though the recruiting will have to pick up to compete. You don't compete for your even an SEC champ without top 20 classes. I had the same criticism about Zo's recruiting.

If that's the case the last few years should have been very exciting seeing as we overachieved each year. The first year of Martins we had a similar roster and expectations. He scored more than this team finished 2nd in the SEC and won 19 games. I guess you loved that year then huh?

Back on topic though the recruiting will have to pick up to compete. You don't compete for your even an SEC champ without top 20 classes. I had the same criticism about Zo's recruiting.

If you think Cuonzo's first half of the year was overachieving, you must be blown away by Tyndall and what he's been able to do this point.

If you think Cuonzo's first half of the year was overachieving, you must be blown away by Tyndall and what he's been able to do this point.

Basketball is a tourney sport. We were unranked and made a Sweet 16 and almost an Elite Eight. We overachieved.

Blown away? No. Offense has been horrible and we haven't beat anyone. If he does like Zo's first year and finishes with 18 or 19 wins and near the top of the conference I will be blown away. Very similar situations, rosters and expectations.

Basketball is a tourney sport. We were unranked and made a Sweet 16 and almost an Elite Eight. We overachieved.

Blown away? No. Offense has been horrible and we haven't beat anyone. If he does like Zo's first year and finishes with 18 or 19 wins and near the top of the conference I will be blown away. Very similar situations, rosters and expectations.

Please tell me, sir, who have we beaten of consequence, early in the season, the past 3 years?

Year 1. Not the last three weeks of last season. Year 1.

Tyndall is ahead of schedule per your measuring stick.

Year 1. Not the last three weeks of last season. Year 1.

Tyndall is ahead of schedule per your measuring stick.

Year one of Zo we were picked last or next to last in all preseason polls. He won 18 and finished 2nd in the SEC. If CDT is close to that I will be ecstatic.

I haven't judged CDT yet. It is only the beginning of the season. I unlike most posters understand you judge a basketball season on the whole year and the postseason. Not on a few games.

I think CDT will do well and I do support him. I will judge if the year was successful after the season.

The only problem I have is the the one I knew I would have when we hired him . Boring slow paced o. For some reason people thought he played fast paced and high scoring. Now they see it isn't true and have switched and try to claim its exciting even though we score less than before. I actually did my research. His teams have only averaged over 70 ppg 3 times in a decade of coaching.

What does that have to do with if we overachieved for the year or not? What does that have to do with how exciting a team plays?

I'm sorry, I must have missed all of those high scoring affairs CCM's offense brought to town. Oh wait there were none. We scored 38 I think against Georgetown. That's burning the nets up for sure.

9/12 guys on the roster are Tyndall recruits, so if this team has low rated posts, no PGs, a lack of offensiveng skilled guys, and guys playing out of position...who's fault is that? Of those 9 guys 8 will be back next season, plus his 2 low rated incoming recruits and assume he adds at least 1 in the spring, so at least 11/13 guys on next years roster will be his recruits...at what point do you start holding him accountable for the roster he built? Honest question?

He is held accountable right now....if he doesn't make the tourney then this season is a failure....he will get his 3-4 yrs just like the last coach was given......I couldn't give a sh&t if he wins as many games this first yr as our previous coach did. It's about building a program not single season success.....he has put himself in a difficult situation and he will either bring himself out of it or we will be looking for a new coach. The one thing that does give me hope is the lower rated guys do seem loaded with potential....if they fail to deliver on it like most of Zo's class did then he will find himself coaching out west somewhere too.

VN Store

Back