Coaches We Have Contacted

PS- I am pretty sure that coaches around the country that might consider the job have seen and understand Jones' limitations. I don't think there will be a perception that UT fired some overachiever for circumstances beyond his control.

Reactions: 3 people
I think there is an assumption that UT is somehow different from other SEC programs with regard to pressure.

Vandy has a long string of 3 or 4 year coaches. They either get fired or else take a better job. UK is similar. Ole Miss fired Cut for much less than UT has on Jones.

There is probably a special breed of coach that wants to take a shot at the SEC... but I don't buy the notion that UT's money doesn't spend as well as Auburns, LSU's, Arkansas', UF's, etc.

agreed. we actually have a legit reason to be upset. FL fans want to fire a guy that won the division his first two years. Auburn wants to axe Malzahn who has won the conf and played for a natty in the last decade. GA fired a guy that many thought was a top shelf coach, who's only sin was not winning 11, instead of 10, games a year. LSU whacked the best coach they've, sans saban, maybe ever.

aside from Ole Miss, is there really another program in the SEC that has as legit a reason as we do to make a change right now? Arkansas and MO...maybe....and i would debate that simply based on having an understanding of who TN is in the landscape of college football vs. those two.

Reactions: 2 people
If Gruden and Kelly are out (first is or rather never was realistic. Talking heads say second one will wait on west coast job), I think Scott Frost is the way to go. I'm skiddish of the other G5 coaches. Miles and Petrino wouldn't be bad, either.

PS- I am pretty sure that coaches around the country that might consider the job have seen and understand Jones' limitations. I don't think there will be a perception that UT fired some overachiever for circumstances beyond his control.
well if you believe all the anonymous sources that have been quoted the last two years, they all think he should have been fired by now anyway.:)

Volnation has more fake news than CNN and MSNBC combined. For anyone who is clueless, this thread is built on lies.

If Gruden and Kelly are out (first is or rather never was realistic. Talking heads say second one will wait on west coast job), I think Scott Frost is the way to go. I'm skiddish of the other G5 coaches. Miles and Petrino wouldn't be bad, either.

Miles may not be as good as Jones. He's one of the worst choices UT could make.

There are some good "realistic" options out there. Fuente would listen to a big offer I believe and I doubt VT would go into a bidding war. He's probably the best X's and O's coach available among the college guys. Venables would already have a good recruiting head start since UT and Clemson recruit a lot of the same areas and players. Brohm hasn't proven as much as Fuente but is also a great choice IMO.

Frost fits in that same boat IMO.

ALL of these options have better resumes and past performances than Jones. Jones got the job based on "tying" for the Big East championship twice against terrible schedules. Dooley beat his best team at Cincy... and it wasn't just overwhelming talent advantages.

Reactions: 1 person

There are some good "realistic" options out there. Fuente would listen to a big offer I believe and I doubt VT would go into a bidding war. He's probably the best X's and O's coach available among the college guys. Venables would already have a good recruiting head start since UT and Clemson recruit a lot of the same areas and players. Brohm hasn't proven as much as Fuente but is also a great choice IMO.

we're on the same page here.

ALL of these options have better resumes and past performances than Jones. Jones got the job based on "tying" for the Big East championship twice against terrible schedules. Dooley beat his best team at Cincy... and it wasn't just overwhelming talent advantages.

Would you be happy with Lane Kiffin?

Would you be happy with Lane Kiffin?

I reject your fallacy of limited alternatives. I wouldn't want either.

BUT... just for the fun of it... if the choice was mine and could only be made between Kiffin and Miles... I take Kiffin even with all the baggage and history one million times out of one million. He is just as good in recruiting and is a better football coach while sleep walking to the bathroom in the middle of the night than Miles has ever been.

The best two game plans UT has had since Cut left were the UF and Bama games in 2009. There was literally no talent or depth on that team.

BUT... just for the fun of it... if the choice was mine and could only be made between Kiffin and Miles... I take Kiffin even with all the baggage and history one million times out of one million. He is just as good in recruiting and is a better football coach while sleep walking to the bathroom in the middle of the night than Miles has ever been.

The best two game plans UT has had since Cut left were the UF and Bama games in 2009. There was literally no talent or depth on that team.

I would take Kiffin over Mullen, Brohm, Venables. What Kiffin did with that team his only year here was magic. Plus he's probably the best play caller and recruiter in the country.

Statistics and actual facts say you are wrong. Miles would easily be the second best coach in the SEC again if he came here. There arent many coaches available with resumes that rival Les Miles.

Lol. Wrong again.

I would take Kiffin over Mullen, Brohm, Venables. What Kiffin did with that team his only year here was magic. Plus he's probably the best play caller and recruiter in the country.

That's where the baggage comes in. Any success Kiffin gives you is likely to be short-lived due to his lack of character. And some might say that's "OK"... except he would leave big mess in his wake. If he'd been in K'ville two years instead of one... UT would have had a significant NCAA problem.

Lol. Wrong again.

Name two better gameplans since Cut left. While you are at it... maybe go back and take a look at the starting line ups for UT in those two games.

UT should was within a blocked FG of beating the best team in the country- Bama. Meyer was publicly frustrated because KiffinX2 had flat outcoached him.

Statistics and actual facts say you are wrong. Miles would easily be the second best coach in the SEC again if he came here. There arent many coaches available with resumes that rival Les Miles.

He was middling at LSU and the facts don't say otherwise. What the facts do say was that he recruited LA and Texas well and talent carried him to more wins than his coaching ever would. LSU fans called him "two loss Les" because of his penchant for choking a couple of times a year even with the best talent.

Miles would be an absolute disaster at UT.

My guess for him is Arkansas.

Here is my prediction: Butch is fired after Alabama and Hoke promoted to interim. Home then wins out and is given the job ala Ed Orgeron.

That's where the baggage comes in. Any success Kiffin gives you is likely to be short-lived due to his lack of character. And some might say that's "OK"... except he would leave big mess in his wake. If he'd been in K'ville two years instead of one... UT would have had a significant NCAA problem.

He's older, more mature. Hes certainly learned from his mistakes and I think he would kill it here. I'm not the same person I was 10 years ago. There is always a risk. And I agree with you on the game plans in 2009, nothing really comes close to those either.

He was middling at LSU and the facts don't say otherwise. What the facts do say was that he recruited LA and Texas well and talent carried him to more wins than his coaching ever would. LSU fans called him "two loss Les" because of his penchant for choking a couple of times a year even with the best talent.

Miles would be an absolute disaster at UT.

My guess for him is Arkansas.

I see leach at Arkansas.

He's older, more mature. Hes certainly learned from his mistakes and I think he would kill it here. I'm not the same person I was 10 years ago. There is always a risk. And I agree with you on the game plans in 2009, nothing really comes close to those either.

Maybe. I just have a really hard time trusting him.

I see leach at Arkansas.

That's a tough one. They do have a habit of hiring low character guys- Petrino and Nutt for example. But they've had the NCAA snooping in the last few years so I'm not sure they'd risk it. I'm not sure why Leach would leave Wazzou for Arkansas either unless it was just the money.

VN Store

Back