Coaches We Have Contacted

PS- I am pretty sure that coaches around the country that might consider the job have seen and understand Jones' limitations. I don't think there will be a perception that UT fired some overachiever for circumstances beyond his control.

Agree. No one will fault UT for the change - I think ambitious coaches will see it as an attractive opening.

Reactions: 2 people
LSU fans said the same thing about Coach O before he was hired.

If that were to happen then you are looking at Shoop, not Hoke. Shoop may have set his career back 10 years by coming to work for Jones. A couple more seasons with Franklin and he'd be a hot name. He'd probably be a candidate for UT's HC job now if he'd stayed at PSU.

I would take Kiffin over Mullen, Brohm, Venables. What Kiffin did with that team his only year here was magic. Plus he's probably the best play caller and recruiter in the country.

I especially like Kiffin's FG call against Auburn in 2013; it was a real thing of beauty.

Name two better gameplans since Cut left. While you are at it... maybe go back and take a look at the starting line ups for UT in those two games.

UT should was within a blocked FG of beating the best team in the country- Bama. Meyer was publicly frustrated because KiffinX2 had flat outcoached him.

Doesnt matter who the starting line was for what team. We lost both of those games. I mean if you are gonna start using moral victories then we came within 5 points of beating Alabama in 2015.

Last years Florida game and South Carolina 2013 were much better. Both were wins against ranked teams. Wins>losses. I have seen you bash fans for moral victories so just stop.

ice_cube_wtf_gqvqs30u.gif

:)

Yes I agree , I really have nothing to say. Wth:loco:

Doesnt matter who the starting line was for what team. We lost both of those games. I mean if you are gonna start using moral victories then we came within 5 points of beating Alabama in 2015.
Don't act stupid. You're better than that.

It has nothing to do with moral victories and everything to do with a great coaching job that put UT in a position to win games against VASTLY superior opponents.

Can you honestly say that Kiffin's performance as a coach in those two games isn't more impressive than Jones' losses to UGA, USCe, Vandy, et al? Can you think of a single game where Jones approached that level of overachievement of the talent on the field?

Last years Florida game and South Carolina 2013 were much better. Both were wins against ranked teams. Wins>losses. I have seen you bash fans for moral victories so just stop.
No they weren't and again it has nothing to do with "moral victories" and everything to do with the quality of the coaching.

UT had more talent than UF last year. It should have been a blowout and NEVER as close as it was.

The USCe '13 game was probably Jones' best but if you look at the real talent on the field... USCe did NOT have an overwhelming advantage. They were just MUCH better coached and had a couple of stars that Spurrier uniquely knew how to leverage into a good record.

You don't read so well, do you? The guy you responded to specifically said those were the conditions for him to watch.

It has nothing to do with "hatred" and everything to do with the objective realization that Jones has failed and is all but certain to continue to do so. He was a long shot when hired... the Peter Principle applies. That's not personal... that's just reality.

I changed doctors recently. Nothing personal at all against the old doctor. He just had a pattern of mistakes and shortcomings that I refused to continue accepting. That's where Jones is.

No BTW. You are a BFL. Butch for Life. Jones has done all that is needed to demonstrate he's not the guy. He'd actually done that BEFORE last year... but many of you just refused to see it. A few others saw it but hoped he would improve. VFL's recognize that it is time for a change because the program is more important than Jones.

While many of you want to believe that if someone doesn't advocate immediate change they must be a fan of the current coach, it simply isn't true.

I'm a fan of the Big Orange and realize that often when a coaching change is made it leads to years of more mediocrity. Stability doesn't guarantee success but having 5 (6 if we end up with an interim)coaches inside of 12 seasons isn't going to make any coach or recruit want to come here. This is what most are missing.

Unlike most of you I can't read the future and know that CBJ will fail or be successful. However stability of the program is more important to long term success than screaming for your Big Mac today.

Reactions: 1 person
Keeping Butch would be a laughable decision and more or less a white flag to the rest of the country.

While many of you want to believe that if someone doesn't advocate immediate change they must be a fan of the current coach, it simply isn't true.

I'm a fan of the Big Orange and realize that often when a coaching change is made it leads to years of more mediocrity. Stability doesn't guarantee success but having 5 (6 if we end up with an interim)coaches inside of 12 seasons isn't going to make any coach or recruit want to come here. This is what most are missing.

Unlike most of you I can't read the future and know that CBJ will fail or be successful. However stability of the program is more important to long term success than screaming for your Big Mac today.

and no coach want's to come to a program completely devoid of talent, with a full reclamation project needed, understanding that it needs to be done in 3 years max. players don't want to play for a program that isn't going to win, and help them with their future goals past college. afterall, at this level, the level we think we should be competing at, we're not recruiting players that's goals are to be guidance counselors after graduation.

lastly, over the last 5 years, coaching turnover is just a way of life in college football. just last year alone, there was a 30% turnover rate at the head coach position in D1 level (52 positions in all, in a single year)...and over the past 5 years, coaching turnover is up over 50% over the previous 10 years.

stability be damned. FL hired a coach and won the east in both of his first years. GA hired a new coach and is ranked 3rd in the country in the 2nd year. UCF hired a coach after going winless just 3 years ago, and is now undefeated. Washington hired a coach and in year two won the conf and made the play off.

not every single coaching change has to result in equal to, or a decline in, performance.

Reactions: 1 person
Keeping Butch would be a laughable decision and more or less a white flag to the rest of the country.

what it would really tell you is that we don't have answers. and we likely don't have clarity at the highest levels of what this program is, or supposed to be. which is way more detrimental long term, than anything any coach can or can't do.

Let me help you out with that. Butch has already failed.

Reactions: 2 people
Listening to the radio this morning and an odds guru from Vegas list all the notables but said his money would go on Alum Jim Bob Cooter. If he can attract a big defensive Coord. I would be good with that hire. it would be like old days with him roaming the sidelines with a clip board. He knows them well.

I believe OP is giving information he believes is legit. I believe OP's friend is a lot more connected than most. I just wonder if OP's friend is getting "good" info at this point. I don't think the real decision makers are giving anything away right now, not even to extended family.

Well, Dickey was a Florida grad...

That was his undoing, too ... going home. But Dickey learned his coaching from Frank Broyles ... one of those old guys who coached football - not systems or schemes.

Miles may not be as good as Jones. He's one of the worst choices UT could make.

There are some good "realistic" options out there. Fuente would listen to a big offer I believe and I doubt VT would go into a bidding war. He's probably the best X's and O's coach available among the college guys. Venables would already have a good recruiting head start since UT and Clemson recruit a lot of the same areas and players. Brohm hasn't proven as much as Fuente but is also a great choice IMO.

Frost fits in that same boat IMO.

ALL of these options have better resumes and past performances than Jones. Jones got the job based on "tying" for the Big East championship twice against terrible schedules. Dooley beat his best team at Cincy... and it wasn't just overwhelming talent advantages.

:hi:

From a very reliable source in his 40's with the last name Bailey...

Is this the same Bailey with the three-legged dog, the wife who spends a little too much time at the neighbor's house three doors down, the sexually ambiguous teenaged child whose name rhymes with "fan," the preference for ketchup on pizza, and an inclination toward erectile dysfunction in the winter months. That Bailey?

Or is it the one with the slight lisp that wears the coonskin cap as part of his foreplay ritual?

I hope it's the latter.

No. We don't miss it... we just recognize that it is a false narrative.

Coaches and recruits want to play for winners. "Stable" mediocrity is a unicorn... it is myth that exists nowhere except in the imaginations of those opposing change. There is no treading water. Recruits simply won't sign on for the kinds of non-sense that Jones is now forced to try to sell... because he can't sell wins and championships.

Name the program that has kept a mediocre coach for sake of "stability" and ended up rising to a championship level under that coach.

No one can "read the future". What we can do is evaluate talent by a person's performance trends and demonstrated strengths and weaknesses. Doing so... it is a near certainty that Jones will never be a coach capable of winning the East. His past two rosters were good enough to do it... he wasn't.

VN Store

Back