Colin Cowherd Yesterday

Most people are clueless at how this works. Haslam and Currie will be who decide the next coach here period, end of story. IF Haslam thinks Kelly is worth the money they would hire him. A lot people don't know this but Kelly has been approached in the past by people affiliated with Tennessee. I would be surprised if Kelly were hired and I know a lot will think it's BC were cheap but it has more to do with him not being a fit here.

Venerables, Brohm, Norvell, Durkin would be talked to and whoever makes Currie happy would be vetted by Haslam. Butch has to win the Georgia game IMO to save himself though now.

Reactions: 1 person
as a Redskins fan, I would've taken Spurrier in a heartbeat here. For two or three years while someone else prepped, I'm not sure I still wouldn't take him now.

To add, I wouldn't take Kelly however. Just don't think he'd gel here. Will probably make it successfully somewhere (to unfortunately include Florida), I'm just not certain it's here. I still say throw the Brinks truck at Fuente, then Mullen.

I don’t believe for one second that butch would never be a HC again. Our university is to tight to pay for Chip Kelly as well. The last 2 coaching hires prove that. Thinking of what Chip Kelly could do to this offense sends chills up my spine, but it’s a far off dream at best.

Kiffin had highest paid staff in country. He took less. I'd he had stayed and won then we would have had to increase his salary and then would have had one of the highest paid coaching staff in country. So basically,we committed, long term, to the idea of paying big bucks for coaching but never got there with kiffin.

Throwing cash around wasn't going to fix this problem after kiffin left and especially after Dooley left.nk good coach wanted to come 2 weeks before signing day, no good coach wanted to take over this roster, money didn't matter.

I mean all of it is a moot point because I don't see Jones going anywhere until end of next year at the earliest, but Mullen would be #1, #2, and #3 option to call IMO.

Why???

2009 Mississippi State 12 5 7
2010 Mississippi State 13 9 4
2011 Mississippi State 13 7 6
2012 Mississippi State 13 8 5
2013 Mississippi State 13 7 6
2014 Mississippi State 13 10 3
2015 Mississippi State 13 9 4
2016 Mississippi State 13 6 7

He has a 7.62 games won per year average at Ms St.,
He's not our savior.

Why???

He's not our savior.

You don't understand football and the history of Mississippi State to see why he will be the hottest coach in the country this offseason behind Kelly.

You literally have no football IQ.

Why???

He's not our savior.

At Mississippi State, with every disadvantage known to mankind, within the toughest division in the history of college football. Context helps.

What is all this love for Mullen?? You Mullen heads do realize he lost to South Alabama last year??

And Butch lost to Dooley. But we still hired him. You have no football IQ if you don't understand how great of a job Mullen is doing in Starkville.

We will be the top job open with our good pay, top facilities and fan base. We have a good group of players on campus and a solid 2018 class. The east is weak and winnable right now with what we got. You can build a great team with Nashville, Atlanta & Charlotte recruits. Sprinkle in some top talent from around the country and you are going to the playoffs.

Anything short of a wow hire will be disappointing as selling UT to top notch coaches will be easy.

ND, UCLA and possibly even Florida can make "Top Job" a little murky. The timing is right for a top hire though. When Kiffin came in, he was a top notch hire. They way he left and especially the timing made getting a good hire to follow very tough. Dooley made getting a good hire to follow him impossible. For all of Jones coaching faults, he's vastly improved the program and we would be an attractive spot for a HC to come to now. I don't think money is as much of an issue as a lot here do.

That said, the SEC is a disaster right now besides Alabama. As a fan, I wouldn't trade playing Alabama every year for anything. Playing Alabama every single year as a coach probably isn't very desirable.

Check the numbers...In Your Opinion he isn't...

Saban had 2 SEC championships and a NC at an LSU team that had been a complete dumpster fire for a decade. Very similar to where we've been. Kelly took over an Oregon team that had been built and was pretty successful under Mike Belotti.

Mullen is not leaving Miss St for Tennessee. He essentially makes the same salary. I don't think he would leave for a few 100k more

What is all this love for Mullen?? You Mullen heads do realize he lost to South Alabama last year??

That is such a stupid argument. He is at freaking Miss St, arguably the hardest job in college football given the conference and division they play in. On top of that, it's one of the hardest recruiting jobs in the country as well. Given all of that, he's done more there than any previous coach at that craphole of a school. For crying out loud, he had them ranked #1 in the polls for a few weeks 2 years ago! Butch hasn't even sniffed the top 10 since he's been here has he?

VN Store

Back