College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

What did he do ? Watching UNC/NC St
Lots of grabbing like he was doing with Knecht. He gets the courtesy of a warning from Terry Oglesby, then does the exact thing he was issued a warning about and gets called for a foul. Acts like it is a ridiculous call (hands up in the air and mouth wide open). Then goes down the court and plays defense with his hands behind his back in protest and gets a 3 drained on him by Hubbard. Then he throws the ball at Tolu Smith and flails and falls away for about 30 feet as if to say it was all accidental. Gets a T for it and gets benched by Pearl.

I doubt they care. When you can score as fast as they do, with so many different weapons, they will be a nightmare opponent in the NCAAT. They are fun to watch.

Maybe so, but they haven't been able to string together 2-3 solid games this season. What makes anyone believe they will do so for six games against high level competition in March? Anything's possible, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

Cal is elite at turning out productive NBA players, but he is also the master of doing less with more at this level.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Their freshmen don’t play like freshmen at all. They are fearless. Dillingham and Sheppard have the mindsets of NBA veterans….they just keep attacking.
I get that, but they have to play defense, and March is a whole different game. They aren’t going very far at 94.

Reactions: knoxvol52
They better care because they just dropped to 94th in defensive efficiency. They have to stop someone especially in March when the whistles and young players get tight in games.
The problem is they won’t face someone who challenges them on defense until the sweet sixteen, at the earliest.

Unfortunately, I think they’ll be a 4 and cruise the first two rounds.
Maybe…but a defense like that doesn’t play in March. I get that Dillingham and Shepard are studs, but we’ve also seen elite freshmen get tight in March, especially on Cal’s teams. It’s totally different.

Reactions: Volfan1000
UAB was up on Memphis 61-39 then proceeded to give up a 46-9 run to Memphis. Don’t think I’ve seen that big of a swing that fast in all my years. I have no idea what happened as I wasn’t watching (like did the whole team get ejected with Kennedy and the water boys had to finish out the game?)

Reactions: ArdentVol
UAB was up on Memphis 61-39 then proceeded to give up a 46-9 run to Memphis. Don’t think I’ve seen that big of a swing that fast in all my years. I have no idea what happened as I wasn’t watching (like did the whole team get ejected with Kennedy and the water boys had to finish out the game?)
Kennedy got ejected when UAB was just up 2. So, Memphis had already made their run back. Pretty sure they went on a 20-0 run between the end of the first half and the beginning of the second half. It didn’t help that both teams kind of mismanaged the last 35 seconds of the first half, and Memphis got the ball back with 4.5 seconds, allowing Quinnerly to hit about a 35 footer at the buzzer.

I heard in the blowout loss to Duke yesterday that the 48 points scored by the Cavs was the 5th conference game this season
in which they scored fewer than 50 points. That's crazy bad, even for a team that likes to play slowly.
Usually they play slow and efficient offense, but this year they’re fine from distance but atrocious inside the 3 point line. They’re shooting 46.7% from 2, which is 312th I. The country, and they never get to the free throw line. Unfortunately for them, they are one of the worst teams at offensive rebounding as well. Compare that to A&M, who is essentially dead last in shooting but can still compete because they’re #1 at offensive rebounding and strong at drawing fouls.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Coach Barnes might have even called a timeout during a run like that. 46-9 That's crazy.

I heard in the blowout loss to Duke yesterday that the 48 points scored by the Cavs was the 5th conference game this season
in which they scored fewer than 50 points. That's crazy bad, even for a team that likes to play slowly.
watched the last few minutes of the replay of that game yesterday on ESPNU and imagine it must have painful period for UVa fans to hear the unsual amount of praise the network's announcers heaped on the Blue Devils.

Curious if that broadcasting team appeared unbiased earlier in the game. The little bt of the game that I watched seemed to be a Duke lovefest

VN Store

Back