Could Tennessee Vols' next AD be Phillip Fulmer? (Merged)

How would you feel about Fulmer as AD?

• Total voters
How do you feel about firing him if/when his hires fail? His track record of hiring coaches is a major concern.

I get that some of you felt bad watching him cry after he was fired, but he has no business being the athletic director.
The truth is you have NO idea what kind of an AD Phil would be. But beyond that I don't know if he would take it. I do know he enjoys his family a whole lot and would not want to mess that up. Anyone who doesn't know Phil's abilities really hasn't really understood were we've gone since his firing. End of story.

Reactions: 1 person
I think a lot of that perception is that he isn't a very dynamic speaker and he always played it very close to the vest with the media. From my experiences with him, I'd say he's smarter and probably more quick witted than most people think

... but he shouldn't be our next AD.

It sounds like he desires the position, with all the other qualities he has it's nice to know he's not done helping the Vols. He knew how to beat bama. He is the wheel house for the next generation donors. Many successful people were in their prime back when he was HC.

Old money is where it's at!

Go Vols!

To the folks on this forum, what do you think an athlethic director's job is? It is not just watching games and hiring and firing. He has budgets to work on, TV contracts to respond to, money to be raised, building and updating facatilities, and a mountain of other non football tasks. An AD is a financial wizard.

Hire an AD who knows knows how to find coaching talent because he knows sports. Put quality teams on the field, hire good bean counters, and the finances will take care of themselves.

Years ago Ford hired someone thought to be the financial wizard of the day; his management almost destroyed the company - everything was financially sound except they didn't sell what people wanted. Kennedy saved Ford and made the genius/fool Sec of Defense. McNamara ran a war as a business and probably became the biggest mass murder of American youth in history.

I'll take someone who knows the business rather than someone who just knows business.

Basilio said on twitter that Fulmer supports Blackburn as AD or has told people he supports him- this article comes across as him being the alternative to Blackburn and Hubbs called it a compromise to DB- that phrase concerned me. Clearly, there are people in power who do not want Blackburn because they can't tell him how to run things. Now they've come up with this plan to give it to Fulmer- would he just bow down to power players? I love Fulmer and would love if he and Blackburn worked together, but potentially pitting them against each other for this job is concerning. Do other schools have these issues when they make hires? My goodness!

He would get fired before he did anything that he though would be bad for UT. He might make the wrong call but it won't be sabotage.

He is a loyal VFL.

So TN might hire CFP so he can relay the decisions and messages the boosters come up with?

i'm not sure how much repair with boosters has been done between them and Fulmer. Before Hamilton could pull the trigger he had to get buy in from boosters on doing it.. spoke with 10-12 and got no push back.

So, not sure Fulmer has booster backing and also not sure Fulmer has forgiven them all.. I feel certain there are some that do not exchange Christmas cards with him and him with they,..

I hope who ever is the AD will hire lawyers for that.

It takes experience to negotiate those things in 1 on 1 meetings. No offense, but I want someone who has that experience, not a sentimental pick. Like him or not, Hart has gotten us on a firmer financial path in the time he has been here. Giving the job to someone you aren't sure will not set that back? No way, man.

i'm not sure how much repair with boosters has been done between them and Fulmer. Before Hamilton could pull the trigger he had to get buy in from boosters on doing it.. spoke with 10-12 and got no push back.

So, not sure Fulmer has booster backing and also not sure Fulmer has forgiven them all.. I feel certain there are some that do not exchange Christmas cards with him and him with they,..

Thunder Thornton is still a big fan of Phil. Fulmer has sat court side with Thornton a few times. Haven't seen Phil run down to shake hands with Haslam yet. Anderson must have moved up to the luxury suites... haven't seen him and Moll sitting behind the TV announcers for a long time now.

The truth is you have NO idea what kind of an AD Phil would be. But beyond that I don't know if he would take it. I do know he enjoys his family a whole lot and would not want to mess that up.

I don't know for sure what kind of AD he would be. I do know he's unqualified and "bleeding orange" or being a "VFL" is nice but it's not nearly enough.

Anyone who doesn't know Phil's abilities really hasn't really understood were we've gone since his firing. End of story.

Where we've gone since he left? It's where he got us before we canned him.

Thunder Thornton is still a big fan of Phil. Fulmer has sat court side with Thornton a few times. Haven't seen Phil run down to shake hands with Haslam yet. Anderson must have moved up to the luxury suites... haven't seen him and Moll sitting behind the TV announcers for a long time now.

I would seriously doubt Thunder jumped on band wagon to remove him. He was probably not even asked. Not sure how much say he has any longer.

It takes experience to negotiate those things in 1 on 1 meetings. No offense, but I want someone who has that experience, not a sentimental pick. Like him or not, Hart has gotten us on a firmer financial path in the time he has been here. Giving the job to someone you aren't sure will not set that back? No way, man.

He has negotiated UT HC contracts before. One of a few that have. It could end up as a figure head move but dang what a Figure Head. He would be on the UT Mt Rushmore.

Release the Beast!

Fulmer had a great run in the 90's. He also made questionable hires, showed too much loyalty to failing assistants, and recommended Mike Hamilton for the job when he had a say. Hard pass.

Reactions: 2 people
Mouth breathers always want a UT man. That's not the job. There is a reason no one reccomends incest...outisode of the state of Alabama.

I would love it! Fulmer is a great ambassador, loves Tennessee, hall of fame coach, National Championship winner (you don't accidentally luck out...takes wisdom), and he would "work like heck" because he would love the chance to get Tennessee in a better position. And he would eventually retire in that position.

Reactions: 3 people
I just wasn't impressed with Fulmer's willingness to make a change when one clearly needed to be made. Randy Sanders was the most predictable play caller I have ever seen at UT. I have listened to two old season ticket holders behind me predict plays with about 95%accuracy in games. Everybody was calling for Randy's firing for years before he was let go. Fulmer only let him go when he was faced with losing his own job. I want an AD that will make a change when one is needed.

VN Store

Back