Croom underutilized while here

He was hurt in at least 3 seasons under 2 different coaches. Not sure you can pin it on anything other than bad fortune.
Maybe because Jones consistently had higher than normal injuries. Every year. Lots of players. Sometimes they didn't even make it to the first game.

You can easily confirm or disprove what I'm saying. Go back to preseason threads and practice reports for the previous 4 years. Every day there were sections about who was hurt … with long lists of key players.

Reactions: MZTERRY and Remy
All Tennessee fans should be happy that another 5 year VFL is starting to make some moves in the NFL.

It's not only good for Croom but it could bring some extra attention to Tennessee by scouts and recruits.

I'm happy for the CROOMSTER and his classy mom, MZ TERRY.

I hope he becomes a starter and lights it up for 10 years in the NFL.

VFL...GBO!!!

I don't think it was coaching as much as it was that Croom had really bad luck trying to stay healthy and was probably out of position.

Glad he's putting it together.
Probably a little bit of both

Reactions: MZTERRY
Maybe because Jones consistently had higher than normal injuries. Every year. Lots of players. Sometimes they didn't even make it to the first game.

You can easily confirm or disprove what I'm saying. Go back to preseason threads and practice reports for the previous 4 years. Every day there were sections about who was hurt … with long lists of key players.
Butch definitely had injury issues all the time.

All I'm saying is the guy had multiple injuries before he ever met Butch Jones. Then he got to training camp last year and got hurt there too.

he still should have caught that TD against FL in 2016.

and who wasn't under utilized at UT under CBJ? they could start a support group at this point. new members joinging daily...........

Kamara is the biggest talent I’ve ever seen Butch waste.

He should have been the starting RB over Hurd.

UGH. i watched the replay of last year's UF game. we left at minimum 12 points on the field. go back to 2015 and we left at least 3 points on the feild in that one too.
over 2 touch downs worth of points left on Florida Field the last two trips down. absolutely disgusting. we should have won 4 or 5 in a row against those clowns.

Speaking of “kicking, the UF rivalry, & Jones”, in watching the ‘15 game, .................... Good God, I don’t k ow if I can get thru this (one of the worst game/time/circumstance malpractice episodes of the butch era);
As I recall, we were holding our own, winning in the trenches, and the scoreboard, having held the gators to a 4th and short (around our 35), late in the half (the clock was in play as I recall). Anyway, Mclwain sends out the punt team, we have held, and are to get the ball back, ........ when butch insists on calling a timeout. He called a timeout, at a critical point, in essence allowing UF to re-think the punt, they return with their FG unit, and proceed to put points on the board.
I could not believe what I was witnessing, an opposing coach having held an opponent and seemingly forcing a punt, only to allow them time to think things over.
There were many many clock management issues pre-dating this error, ..... I still can’t let this one go -

He was a class act while he was here. Fought through bad luck and bad coaching. I’m happy for him. Hope he makes the 53.

Eh I dont know. Croom had a knack for dropping passes and not getting open. He showed some flashes yes, but he never stepped up his game. Just because he may be doing well in the NFL, doesnt reflect that much on Butch. This is nothing like the Kamara situation.

Been watching the Vols play since1951 when I was 10 years old.

Although he was a first teamer Jason Witten was the most underutilized player I can remember.

Reactions: Lurker
If we could have kept Croom and North healthy, then we could have won an additional 4-5 games despite the coaching woes from Leotard Lyle!

Yeah, Butch should have thrown more to him instead of Malone and Jennings..... Truth is Croom did drop a perfectly thrown TD by Dobbs on 1st down vs UF. The team and program needed that catch and he didnt come thru. About the only big catch I recall him making was vs SC to send the game into OT. I hope he does well and finds a home in the NFL but lets calm down on the "wasnt used enough" ********.

Well, the Vols haven't won to the expected level of most. Therefore, somebody has to take the blame.

Kamara is the biggest talent I’ve ever seen Butch waste.

He should have been the starting RB over Hurd.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. KMac at one point was the #1 rated high school player in the country. He had a very pedestrian career as a DL while on The Hill, nothing special. He gets drafted by the NFL who promptly move him from DL to OL At least Kamara was placed in his correct position at the collegiate level.

I remember when we and everyone else were trying to recruit O'Leary (Jack Nicklaus' grandson) and all the while we had his superior already on the team.

Croom was not a good football player. He was a message board enigma because of his size and that fact that he had a supposed relative that posted on here. He routinely got out muscled for balls by guys 6 inches shorter and 30 pounds lighter than him. Josh Smith was a much better football player than Croom was...

I don't think it was coaching as much as it was that Croom had really bad luck trying to stay healthy and was probably out of position.

Glad he's putting it together.
Exactly....not the fault of anyone in particular but staying healthy is the key to having a solid career in any sport but especially football and JC just stayed banged up constantly. Hope he creates a great career in the pros too.

VN Store

Back