Crowder misses practice due to not starting?

The best is NOT Coleman Thomas. Don't understand why he would start over Crowder

Because as has been stated on this board (ad nauseum) CBJ has decided that no matter what, Thomas is going to play somewhere. It must be his potential because it sure isn't for what he has earned in practice or on the field.
Hope he can play the position better in a game than he does in practice.

I'm honestly beginning to think these OLinemen need to stop listening to their families. Stop paying attention to the "you deserve..." and "you should..." whispers from well-meaning friends and relatives. Start listening to the coaches. Buckle down and care more about the team and the squad than themselves.

Not saying this about any player in particular, just the vibe the position group is giving off with these reported drama eruptions.

Reactions: 6 people
I'm honestly beginning to think these OLinemen need to stop listening to their families. Stop paying attention to the "you deserve..." and "you should..." whispers from well-meaning friends and relatives. Start listening to the coaches. Buckle down and care more about the team and the squad than themselves.

Not saying this about any player in particular, just the vibe the position group is giving off with these reported drama eruptions.

I'd like to give credit to the whole football team for keeping 95% of what is really going with this squad to themselves. It speaks volumes about everyone on the team.

Reactions: 1 person
I'd like to give credit to the whole football team for keeping 95% of what is really going with this squad to themselves. It speaks volumes about everyone on the team.

Yeah, you're right, Steeler. As disruptive as it seems to us on the outside, I'm sure it's a whole lot more complicated in that position group room. Glad all that isn't getting out, we at VolNation would have massive coronaries. :)

But they do need to develop some positive leadership, from the OC and position coach on down through the players. This kind of friction shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Typical VN thread.

Slam a player based on a 140 character tweet from a guy who looks like 80's era Sally Jesse Raphael.

Why would anyone want players who are happy about getting benched?

Reactions: 2 people
No one is close to being as good as Maggitt, Randolph or Kerbyson at their positions. if one of Butch's recruits is close, he gets the spot.

Like who?

Marlin Lane all started last year when Hurd came on board. Malone didn't bump Croom or Pig off the field.

I agree with the WJHL TV news report today, "Taking the 5th year senior out of the starting line-up could hurt the Vols when you consider Crowder has been responsible for setting a lot of the protections and getting the Vols in the right situation against the variety of defenses they will face in 2015."

The best is NOT Coleman Thomas. Don't understand why he would start over Crowder

The fact that you think you have any idea who is the better center is hilarious. You don't know. I don't know. Nobody on this board knows. The coaches see them practice every day. Break down and study the film of practice every day. Yet we see spinets of drills and read the words of reporters who see 10% of practice and think we know who should start at different positions.

Reactions: 7 people

I've been a pretty big Crowder supporter all along... and Kendrick for that matter. I've been supportive because of my impression of how the OL played with and without them last year.

That said, you don't know who the best is nor do I. If Thomas is starting then it is either blindness on Jones' part or Thomas has been able to master the calls and mental aspects of the position.

My point here isn't that I know... my point is that no one outside the program and probably the coaching staff "knows" why this decision has been made.

I'd just like to point out that the VAST majority of OL woes last year were due to mistakes and missed assignments. We have little idea who is better/worse/highest ceiling as far as talent and technique right now. Basically, I suspect that whoever knows protections best, and make the fewest mistakes, will start.

I heard that Crowder is holding hostages demanding he start. He has North's leg and PW's ACT score said he won't give them back until he's named starter.

Reactions: 6 people
All of this "Player skipped practice for being upset" stuff carries the stench of "North has a season ending injury." Small nugget of truth... exploded into something "newsworthy".

IMHO, it is likely that he is upset if he isn't starting. It is possible that Jones allowed him to take a day to rest and put his thoughts together before getting back to competing. I believe it is next to impossible that any of these guys have successfully bullied Jones. Totally contrary to his personality, patterns of action, and belief system.

What you're saying is completely in-line with Jimmy's tweet.

What Jimmy tweeted: He missed practice. He was upset.

What Jimmy didn't tweet: He missed practice because he was upset.

^^^ Yep. I just do not believe that Crowder said "I'm not practicing because I'm not being allowed to start Saturday."

That's just not how a Senior who has worked so hard for so long to get to this point reacts. He's not stupid. Even if that's how he feels, I can't believe he would come out and say that.

Hyams worded his tweet so that it is technically accurate, but the readers will likely infer a cause and effect relation between the two statements. He is a WRITER. Knew exactly what he was doing when he did it and is getting exactly the reaction he wanted.

Had it been the truth, then he would have included "due to the fact"...

Aren't they "co starters?" Or do we know Thomas will be taking the first and the most reps.

Typed three different thoughts that were two or three pages way to long on this.But the best players will start if they know enough of playbook to know whats going on,and those who get mad because they loose starting job and miss practice cause of hurt feelings should realize stuff like this might hurt the team it could devide the locker room.And this should never get to the press,because us fans tend to use it as exercuse blame coach if line doesn,t perform.only a few more days left till season starts Go Vols

Here's an example.

HarmlessBeautifulFantail.gif

Are you serious? He's 10 yds down field. No one to block. Only ones further down field are Hurd and Downs. A RB and a TE. They're supposed to be further down field. The reason the play didn't go further is because North missed his block. Crowder did exactly what he's supposed to do on this play.

Reactions: 2 people

We dont need to know. This is typical pre season competetion. Crowder has 12-14 games to prove them wrong and so does the others who are nipping at the tails of starters.

VN Store

Back